Sampletank 4 Max - Your sounds download access will expire in 12 days

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I understand the limitations it is what it is, I just wish they had a better installation system instead of having to crosscheck what you've already installed vs the abhorrent list of everything you can download

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm We give six months' opportunity to back up your files.
This is a meaningless and weasely "statement" until you provide a tool to validate the expected backup, or at the very least a clear definition of what that tool would be looking for.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm We use a high-end CDN that isn't free (nor cheap)
I have recently installed NI Komplete 12 ultimate on 2 DAWs - not an issue here as others have mentioned.

Who sold you the " high-end CDN that isn't free (nor cheap)"?

I've just gone through the painful process of downloading the entire ST4 Max content as a final backup.
  • I had to take screenshots of the web page to be able to visually count and confirm the files downloaded. You can't even copy the text.
  • I'd already downloaded these files on several occasions, but due to a lack of any visual version control in the drop downs there's no way of knowing if any of the files had subsequently been updated.
  • The multiple download option is an epic fail because, in my case, Edge sometimes downloads what you selected, other time it misses one or more items.
So I now have a backup of the 99 files as at August 18 2019 - What happens when content gets updated once the ability to download my content ends in 3 days? Do I then have to pay the £11.99 to download the updates?

This is without doubt the worse offering for downloading media (that I've paid a lot for) that I've ever seen. :roll:

So I've just gone through the extraction of these 99 files, downloaded with the standard Windows 10 Browser, on a mirrored drive on a state of the art 3XS DAW.

Approximately 60% of the files I tried to extract were corrupted. So My "gold" backup has had to be augmented with previously downloaded and extracted archives. I've no idea of the status of the backup because of a complete lack of configuration management or even version control by IK.

After seeing the recent announcement all I can say is - Brian May, what were you thinking?

Support can verify but I'm not seeing reports of corrupted files and the couple that I tested directly were just fine.

They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Brian May knew exactly what he was doing - working with the people who would make - and deliver - software that nails his tones. He also knew we'd want to work with Jamie Humphries and himself to make sure it was done right. Glad you noticed AmpliTube Brian May. Thank you for that.

But sorry to hear you're having trouble, please let support know and they'll figure out what's happening for you.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm We give six months' opportunity to back up your files. We use a high-end CDN that isn't free (nor cheap), not some fly-by-night shared hosting or a janky server in the back corner of our office. That service provides excellent performance for the downloads, and again you simply need to back them up within 180 days.

If you prefer not to store them locally or on cloud storage, note that the one-time charge to reactivate all of your downloads is cheaper than cloud or physical storage would cost you. We're actually the cheaper option if you don't have cloud or local storage (or don't prefer to back up the libraries yourself).
The 180 day limit doesn't make sense from a cost perspective, though. I could download the content every single day, or even multiple times per day (Internet connection permitting) for my 180 days without paying extra. However if I want to download *even a single file* on day 181, I have to pay €10. Once I've paid, I'm free to download as many times I want for another 180 days. If bandwidth is so expensive, how come we get unlimited downloads for 6 months?

A limit like 3 downloads in total (and maybe reset it after x amount of time to be extra super-duper customer friendly) would accomplish the same thing (limit the number of downloads), leave the system less open for abuse, and allow customers to recover their products without hassle in the case of e.g. a hard drive failure (backup drives can fail too) years from now.

If any files are fixed or enhanced by IK, the whole customer base
download record should be extended by 180 days.
How about when you've spent $180 in total, the limit
just goes off your account? That much money implies some
IK assimilation has taken place. Rewarding customer loyalty
is a winners business practice.

That said, it's always been my practice to save both archives,
and fully extracted content. Not only because disk space is cheap,
but because time is expensive, and running out. I don't trust
strangers, or strange operating systems, with anything of value.

cleverr1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm I've just gone through the painful process of downloading the entire ST4 Max content as a final backup.
  • I had to take screenshots of the web page to be able to visually count and confirm the files downloaded. You can't even copy the text.
  • I'd already downloaded these files on several occasions, but due to a lack of any visual version control in the drop downs there's no way of knowing if any of the files had subsequently been updated.
  • The multiple download option is an epic fail because, in my case, Edge sometimes downloads what you selected, other time it misses one or more items.
So I now have a backup of the 99 files as at August 18 2019 - What happens when content gets updated once the ability to download my content ends in 3 days? Do I then have to pay the £11.99 to download the updates?

This is without doubt the worse offering for downloading media (that I've paid a lot for) that I've ever seen. :roll:
Agreed hat this is possibly, the worst software distribution policy and implementation in the industry, but they do tend to publish updates indefinitely in my experience.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm We give six months' opportunity to back up your files. We use a high-end CDN that isn't free (nor cheap), not some fly-by-night shared hosting or a janky server in the back corner of our office. That service provides excellent performance for the downloads, and again you simply need to back them up within 180 days.

If you prefer not to store them locally or on cloud storage, note that the one-time charge to reactivate all of your downloads is cheaper than cloud or physical storage would cost you. We're actually the cheaper option if you don't have cloud or local storage (or don't prefer to back up the libraries yourself).
The 180 day limit doesn't make sense from a cost perspective, though. I could download the content every single day, or even multiple times per day (Internet connection permitting) for my 180 days without paying extra. However if I want to download *even a single file* on day 181, I have to pay €10. Once I've paid, I'm free to download as many times I want for another 180 days. If bandwidth is so expensive, how come we get unlimited downloads for 6 months?

A limit like 3 downloads in total (and maybe reset it after x amount of time to be extra super-duper customer friendly) would accomplish the same thing (limit the number of downloads), leave the system less open for abuse, and allow customers to recover their products without hassle in the case of e.g. a hard drive failure (backup drives can fail too) years from now.
+1

Well, I guess you can always use your jam points to buy more downloads... :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm Support can verify but I'm not seeing reports of corrupted files and the couple that I tested directly were just fine.
Really? Here you go, Just one of many and just 3 files in.
Despite the evidently "janky" delivery system, I can't see any apparent way of knowing when any of these files were created, so no way of knowing if the older versions I have are actually still current.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm But sorry to hear you're having trouble, please let support know and they'll figure out what's happening for you.
Mate, that ship's sailed as I'm over 180 days in, and after the latest round of downloading and extracting 99 often corrupted archives I have zero appetite for getting involved in helping you fix your issue.

Do Support have a hidden way of supplying these files properly with a download manager, error checking and version control? If not I'll pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...and now I can't even pay for the 'privilege' of downloading software I have paid for:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... activation
0 products shown

That's what you have to pay to download sample content again. That's exactly what it shows for me when I want to download my Syntronik or Sampletank content. Your products are on a separate page.

You can still download the plugins themselves (through the Product Manager) any time but you have to pay to download the sample content after a certain time has transpired because....IK Multimedia.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This is why I don't buy IK products anymore *shrug*

Back up external drives are cheap these days. You can find a new 2TB drive for around $59.

Return to “Instruments”