13.05: MDrummer: terrible video performance when the mixer is displayed - mixer cannot be used

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As soon as the Quick Setup or Rhythm Editor is chosen the following problem goes away:

The video performance when MDrummer's Mixer is shown is so poor that it makes the audio crackle. It's terrible, cannot be used. (when music is playing. One has to stop the music, make EQ adjustments, then restart, which is basically, for a mixer, a 'cannot be used' case)

It's only with the Mixer is displayed.

This is new, this huge performance loss was not there since versions 11 and 12.

Well, you are on Linux, my guess is that is the problem. Here it works without problems. Anyone else?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm Well, you are on Linux, my guess is that is the problem. Here it works without problems. Anyone else?
I'm afraid that's not much of an answer, really. As I mentioned I worked all right for versions 11 and 12, and up to early 13.

It worked. I would not have bought MDrummer is the mixer was shot right from the start, nor would have I gotten the complete bundle. I would not have spent $1000 if that condition was present.

Now it doesn't work, at all. As soon as the mixer is shown crackling is heard in the audio, stuttering of the DAW, etc.

I actually can re-install previous versions and specifically pinpoint which version is causing this terrible problem.

Works fine here. Windows7 64-bit

Works fine in Windows 10 and Reaper/Studio One
Xpoes

W10, Reaper, Intel Core i7 9700F (8x Core) @4.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 32 GB RAM, FluidAudio SRI-2, Nektar Impact LX61+

Might make sense to also mention GPU model and driver version.

Did OP change anything else in his setup before the problem appeared?

NO, the OP runs basically in 'industrial mode' since he creates music mixes audio many times per week and when a system works, it works and is not tempered with at the system level. Not even the Bitwig version has changed in between when the problem appeared. Only the Melda plugin version. I will trace it back to which version worked fine. As I mentioned, I would not have spent $1000 with such a flaw obvious, especially since on top of that Vojtech very kindfully helped me with getting MDrummer going by sending me MDrummer debug versions so I can send log files back. Meaning that, I've seen and used MDrummer's mixer many times prior to this.

Since installing Melda plugins is so easy, I will try with a previous version and will report back. And yes, this is on Linux.

Hmm. Works fine win10 highend PC and win7 9 years old PC. Newest version.

Did you try to change GPU acceleration in the plugin settings between enabled/disabled/compatibility?

GPU model and driver version might be relevant info too.

mevla wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 pm
MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm Well, you are on Linux, my guess is that is the problem. Here it works without problems. Anyone else?
I'm afraid that's not much of an answer, really. As I mentioned I worked all right for versions 11 and 12, and up to early 13.

It worked. I would not have bought MDrummer is the mixer was shot right from the start, nor would have I gotten the complete bundle. I would not have spent $1000 if that condition was present.

Now it doesn't work, at all. As soon as the mixer is shown crackling is heard in the audio, stuttering of the DAW, etc.

I actually can re-install previous versions and specifically pinpoint which version is causing this terrible problem.
That's the risk you take in running it on a non-supported platform using what amounts to a hack (and hey, I love WINE and use it for a number of things on Mac). You have no guarantee that what works today will always work, and no right to expect otherwise.

teilo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:33 pm That's the risk you take in running it on a non-supported platform using what amounts to a hack (and hey, I love WINE and use it for a number of things on Mac). You have no guarantee that what works today will always work, and no right to expect otherwise.
Indeed. There are no guarantees. So this is why I'm close to working in 'industrial mode' eg. if it works, don't fix it. Meaning, don't get updates. So I'm trying to compromise, with the belief that hopefully developers will not do drastically 'bad' things (1). Which would kind of go against the general trend of update software not being so nice as previous versions from a user point of view.

It's nevertheless a risk, yes. At worst, I'll keep running the ones that works well and update others.

Maybe one day Vojtech will decide to go iLok, who knows (just an example, tongue-in-cheek).

(1) Drastically bad is subjective in this context. For instance recently I tried a plugin that was developed by someone who says he doesn't know much in software development and used a Windows framework of some sort that Does It All. No surprise, it did not ran in Linux. But ran in Windows.

Generally speaking though, the Windows plugins I run are running fine, including all Melda plugins, and even MDrummer apart from that mixer page. I don't have access to the code but I'd be curious to see how that screen is handled.

If I compare with Tone 2 Gladiator and say Icarus/ElectraX, Gladiator has a very poor UI performance because it's large and all the UI is aprt of one approach, one loop. So I did not get Gladiator. However, Icarus and ElectraX and RayBlaster which are way smaller, are just running fine.

Or, take Synthmaster One recent update. The previous version was easy to see under Linux because of the overhead incurred: move a knob and the whole UI would flicker. Linux is certainly not supported but KV331 nevertheless updated the UI handling for other reasons and now it sports slick responsive UI.

stearine wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:50 pm Did you try to change GPU acceleration in the plugin settings between enabled/disabled/compatibility? GPU model and driver version might be relevant info too.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll take a look.

mevla wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:34 pm So this is why I'm close to working in 'industrial mode' eg. if it works, don't fix it. Meaning, don't get updates.

That is what I routinely do with everything that is all of the following:

1. big
2. important
3. offline (or a conveniently constrained client-only application)

It's why I still haven't updated Cubase to the newest version that came out two months ago. I'll let other users test the stability first. ;-)

Of course, in your case that would be difficult, because the userbase of Melda on Linux must be small.

Well, try disabling the GPU acceleration (or compatibility mode) and lowering the FPS (both are in Settings). But other than that I'm afraid I don't see any way to help you. Feel free to find the working version though, maybe there will be "something". But since it is ok in Windows native, Wine is definitely the cause and it may simply be impossible to solve. My personal guess is that it started with the new mixer, which is simply more complex and probably needs to redraw entirely on every frame and if Wine doesn't handle GPU well (which it probably doesn't, but who knows), you may be doomed.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”