Is the Market Finally Saturated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Noumena wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 am If synths all cost u-he money or more there would be a lot more developers, a lot more *good* developers and a lot more innovation. Just my opinion.
The U-he synths offer a unique set of features.
The buyer knows there will be loads of great sounds,
great functionality, great updates, a great registration scheme,
great third-party support, a great community, including company
reps that don't lurk in the shadows, or skulk around trying
to sell your customer data, or hogtie your purchases to some
absurd auto-updating-account-manager-installer-beee_esss.

If other devs can't or won't match such efforts,
a quick glance in the mirror will reveal where
the problems are. Pricing too low or too high
or anywhere in between won't make you a legend :dog:

tony10000 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 am
mrdoghead wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:56 am No, the market is not saturated.
I would love to hear that from a developer.
No, the market is not saturated.

Of course not...
Saturated market is a concept of people who have already more money than they need and want to invest into a market to get even more of what they don't really need. For them a market is saturated if they don't make enough money with it.
All others just do their job or what they think makes sense to do...
Unfortunately those mentioned, drain so much out of the markets that normal and productive people have a hard time to survive...

mevla wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:26 pm Maybe the next big thing in this market will be to add 'cloud this' and 'cloud that' as layers over existing products. Looks like the trend already started ...
Check out our SM1 v1.3 RC -as you might already know- we’ve added cloud based cross platform public/private preset sharing
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am
tony10000 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 am
mrdoghead wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:56 am No, the market is not saturated.
I would love to hear that from a developer.
No, the market is not saturated.
I agree. It's not saturated at all. Even in hardware, there's a lot of room for new businesses.

The massive Sweetwater Summer 2019 catalog that was
wedged into my mailbox recently certainly confirms
what you say. I could drop $20_K$ just on choices from page numbers
ending with a 3, and still have 2/3 of the catalog left
for the next $tack$ of cash to fanatasize with :hyper:

Or just get 4 expensive guitars, and a few sets of strings :party:

glokraw wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am
Noumena wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 am If synths all cost u-he money or more there would be a lot more developers, a lot more *good* developers and a lot more innovation. Just my opinion.
I'm going to rate each of your factors as they apply to my buying decisions, on a scale of -1 to 10, where -1 means it is something which actively puts me off.
unique set of features - 5
loads of great sounds - -1
great functionality - 8
great updates - 0
a great registration scheme - 0
great third-party support - 0
a great community, including company - 0
absurd auto-updating-account-manager-installer-beee_esss

The factors that actually got me to purchase u-he synths were:

sound quality - 10
the fact they were on sale at half normal price - 10

I used to worry about inconsequential garbage like registration/copy protection but I eventually realised that it was all irrelevant and only held me back, not the vendors. I've never cared about updates, I have always known they were mostly about making more money for the vendor and not really about offering anything to the customer. e.g. If I hadn't qualified of the free update to Hive 2, I would not have paid the $20 upgrade fee. Hive 1.2 was fine, it did exactly what I bought it to do.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 am

Many of the early deportees to Australia were from Yorkshire.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:27 am

Many of the early deportees to Australia were from Yorkshire.
they should reintroduce that....

https://youtu.be/jY4tD2Hbg_A

Hi Markus,

Thanks for stepping in and sharing your thoughts. You're quite an optimist I see. :D

The sad truth is that most of us in this thread probably agree with most of what you write. There's one thing I don't agree with though:
Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 am We are currently facing the same situation as we did with the video-game-crisis in the early 80s. The market was flooded with a huge number of low quality games. It ended up with a big crash and only the big companies which did deliver quality games like Nintendo did survive.
The "problem" as I see it is not that we have an abundance of low quality software, but that we have an abundance of HIGH quality software. What I mean is that we simply don't need a more professional compressor in our arsenal. So as the OP asks, saturation is the problem, not bad software.

That said, the effect will most likely be the same: small companies/constellations disappear because they are too small to survive. Their devs will go to more profitable jobs. At the same time, and as suggested in the thread, bigger companies will buy smaller ones. Finally, big hardware companies (say Logitech) will buy big music software companies for some tech they are missing (like Creative sucking the life out of E-MU). We saw this a few months ago when Izotope bought the reverb dev (forgot its name) - not saying this is a bad thing though as it prolongs the life of quality small-dev software.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Oh dear - I notice I have just turned KVRAF! I should really learn when to shut up. :D
Go MuLab!

Congratulations :party: :party: :party:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm Congratulations :party: :party: :party:
Thanks Aloysius! :band:
Go MuLab!

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:27 amMany of the early deportees to Australia were from Yorkshire.
Is that why we're so much better at cricket than you lot?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

glokraw wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am
I'm going to rate each of your factors as they apply to my buying decisions, on a scale of -1 to 10, where -1 means it is something which actively puts me off.
unique set of features - 5
loads of great sounds - -1
great functionality - 8
great updates - 0
a great registration scheme - 0
great third-party support - 0
a great community, including company - 0
absurd auto-updating-account-manager-installer-beee_esss

The factors that actually got me to purchase u-he synths were:

sound quality - 10

I used to worry about inconsequential garbage like registration/copy protection but I eventually realised that it was all irrelevant and only held me back, not the vendors. I've never cared about updates, I have always known they were mostly about making more money for the vendor and not really about offering anything to the customer. e.g. If I hadn't qualified of the free update to Hive 2, I would not have paid the $20 upgrade fee. Hive 1.2 was fine, it did exactly what I bought it to do.
WTF Is goin on, I just agreed with pretty much everything BONES said :cry: :o
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”