Tone2 I2 vs Trueno Analog

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Trueno

No, I can state facts until the cows come home. Irrefutable facts, like the one you pointedly ignored yesterday - f=ma
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 am I bought a 10cm USB cable for mine. It doesn't seem to affect the performance at all and it might give you back access to the ports around it. It allows me to plug it into my Overhub with everything else, which is a lot more convenient than having it sticking out the side of my laptop. My only concern is that the Overhub feeds it power 24/7 so I've started unplugging it when I'm not using it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-cable-with ... SwvGpbcice

Something like this?

Meh, it's just as easy to plug/unplug. I wonder what the switch actually turns on/off and what it lets pass through? In fact, I wonder how many active connections there are in a USB cable?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Why hardware still sounds better?
might be an interesting read for some

That only applies to digital emulations of analogue signals and, even then, mostly if you are trying to exactly replicate some piece of analogue equipment. In any other scenario it is irrelevant beyond some basic level. e.g. If I played you two different tracks mastered and ready for Spotify or CD, you wouldn't be able to tell which was made with real analogue equipment and which was made with VSTi. As the end result of 90% of the work we do is a digital master, any differences between digital and analogue are completely irrelevant.

Even with hardware synths, there are some absolutely magnificent digital synths that anyone would be super-happy to own and use. If you look at something like Novation's K-Station hardware synth, it sounds bloody brilliant but I was able to prove many years ago that the VSTi version, V-Station, sounds identical. Going the other way, find me an analogue synth that sounds half as good as DUNE and has even a fraction of the versatility. It can't be done because no analogue synth can hope to match DUNE.

Trueno doesn't sound amazing just because it's analogue, it sounds amazing because the guy who made it put in considerable effort to give it real character. It's good for what it does but it's never going to be better than Thorn or Synthmaster One of Factory or dozens of other amazing VSTi.

Auplant wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm Why hardware still sounds better?
That article is a joke. Seriously. I stopped reading after this at the very beginning:

Oversampling is in principle a process of guessing what the missing audio samples in between the actually recorded ones would have been if the audio was recorded at a higher sample rate.

What a bunch of nonsense. I can assure you oversampling while it's not silver bullet is NOT a process of guessing something. Not even in metaphor. From his words it looks like he think oversampling is some sort of audio restoration (guessing audio samples). An idiot.

I am not surprised he doesn't offer comment on his blog.

Guessing audio - sweet lord this is insane.

I didn't wanted to go till the end because i don't want to read even more crazy presumptions.

I sooo hate online audio DSP self proclaimed scientist...

kmonkey wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:13 am
Auplant wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm Why hardware still sounds better?
What a bunch of nonsense. I can assure you oversampling while it's not silver bullet is NOT a process of guessing something.
Sorry but it sounds like you're misinterpreting his statement. He's not talking about guessing anything. he's talking about sampling the signal by finding the sample frequency higher than the Nyquist rate (twice the bandwidth of a bandlimited signal. Bandlimited signals can be random.

The definition he wrote was vague, but it is for casual readers... I don't know about everyones beliefs here, but what matters to me is what I hear coming from the speakers.
Of course there are some software VSTi which supersede hardware synths, but for sure there are some hardware synths which software has never matched.

It's an incorrect definition of oversampling, no matter the context.

omiroad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 am It's an incorrect definition of oversampling, no matter the context.
How else would you describe oversampling to a casual reader without forcing DSP terminology on them? I doubt the average reader would even care that much.

Auplant wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am
omiroad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 am It's an incorrect definition of oversampling, no matter the context.
How else would you describe oversampling to a casual reader without forcing DSP terminology on them? I doubt the average reader would even care that much.
then why try to tell them anything, if you're basically just making it up?

The average reader does care when someone is clearly making things up. Guessing!! He is having a laugh.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

I think his statement can be interpreted in more than one way. It contradicts itself, but is neither true or untrue since it's open to readers interpretation. I agree that such things should be written with more clarity though.

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm
then why try to tell them anything, if you're basically just making it up?

works for me :hihi:

Due to the ongoing argument on this thread about how Trueno Analog stacks up against soft synths. To put these arguments to the test., I have made the focus of this thread specifically about how Trueno stacks up against the hottest softsynth on the horizon, Tone2 I2., in every way. Please enjoy.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

:dog: :lol:

Return to “Instruments”