Is there a cheap/free tape wear plugin available?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

t3toooo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:28 am
JerGoertz wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 am
aberrantdsp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm Aberrant DSP here, rest assured that our website is set to auto-renew in a year, we don't plan on going anywhere!
I love what this does in the demo video! Am about to buy it... Great work!
Any latency and if how much?
Hey there! In our testing latency was low, usually around 1-2ms. We were able to play instruments through it while live monitoring with no issues.

s28 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 am
aberrantdsp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm Aberrant DSP here, rest assured that our website is set to auto-renew in a year, we don't plan on going anywhere!
No vst2? I haven't yet committed to the extra click in Ableton that seperates vst2 and vst3. I like keeping the folder so lean I've not got any vst3 plugins yet haha.

This looks nice and the demo video good.
Unfortunately, Steinberg (the makers of the VST format) recently made it unlawful for any developer without prior approval to release plugins in the VST2 format. Since we're a new developer, we missed the deadline back in October to get approval from them to distribute VST2. It's a real bummer, we even have VST2 versions up and running but we can't ship them to customers :/

aberrantdsp wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:41 am
Unfortunately, Steinberg (the makers of the VST format) recently made it unlawful for any developer without prior approval to release plugins in the VST2 format. Since we're a new developer, we missed the deadline back in October to get approval from them to distribute VST2. It's a real bummer, we even have VST2 versions up and running but we can't ship them to customers :/
Including a 32 bit version for Windows? That would be an immediate purchase for me.

NAD wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 am
Hey there! Is there any chance you can give us some details about what the dropouts feature in SketchCassette is doing? For example is it purely volume fluctuations or does it also generate tonal variation?
It's both volume variations and filtering, both of which are modulated down by a noise signal that is adjusted by the dropout controls. We based the filtering off of an equation we found describing high frequency loss caused by the separation of the tape from the playback (the physical cause of dropouts) and used it to define our filter.

Let me know if you'd like more info! I'd like to post more here but the spam filter is getting in the way :(

Lotuz2019 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 am
Including a 32 bit version for Windows? That would be an immediate purchase for me.
32-bit (for Windows VST3 anyways) is something we can do! We didn't include it in the initial launch (mostly just to keep the number of versions to a manageable level in terms of support), but we're thinking about adding it as an option in a future update.

On second thought, Maschine doesn't support VST3 if I'm not mistaken, so only a 32 bit VST2 plugin would be useful to me. What's involved getting approval from Steinberg?

I'm seriously looking into upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit though, because lately there's too much good stuff coming out for 64 bit only.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am On second thought, Maschine doesn't support VST3 if I'm not mistaken, so only a 32 bit VST2 plugin would be useful to me. What's involved getting approval from Steinberg?

I'm seriously looking into upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit though, because lately there's too much good stuff coming out for 64 bit only.
It's really just a matter of signing a form and emailing it to them, no charge or anything, but they stopped accepting those applications for VST2 last Fall in an attempt to close the door on the format so they can stop supporting it. We missed that window because we didn't exist as a developer yet.

They've been wanting people to move to VST3 for about a decade now and are really laying down the law these days. I can't say I blame them, VST2 debuted in 1999 and I can't think of any other software standards from that era that have stuck around. Still, it's a bummer that means no VST2 for SketchCassette :(

Hmm… It seems there are quite a few DAWs that don't support VST3 yet. I might have to start using old dusty Cubase 5 together with Maschine again to be able to use VST3 plugins. Got some more thinking to do...

s28 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 am
No vst2? I haven't yet committed to the extra click in Ableton that seperates vst2 and vst3. I like keeping the folder so lean I've not got any vst3 plugins yet haha.

This looks nice and the demo video good.
Oh that's not good on Steinbergs part.

It seems like a nice debut, all the best for your future in the plugin world.

aberrantdsp wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 am
NAD wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 am
Hey there! Is there any chance you can give us some details about what the dropouts feature in SketchCassette is doing? For example is it purely volume fluctuations or does it also generate tonal variation?
It's both volume variations and filtering, both of which are modulated down by a noise signal that is adjusted by the dropout controls. We based the filtering off of an equation we found describing high frequency loss caused by the separation of the tape from the playback (the physical cause of dropouts) and used it to define our filter.

Let me know if you'd like more info! I'd like to post more here but the spam filter is getting in the way :(
spam filter should be ok now you're over 5 posts :tu:
welcome to kvr 8)

Really impressed with SketchCassette. Does the super warbly, lo-fi charm thing extremely well, and I love the UI.

And now I WILL stop buying tape plugins, dammit

aberrantdsp wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 amLet me know if you'd like more info! I'd like to post more here but the spam filter is getting in the way :(
Yes please!! More Info!

shame...SketchCassete looks really cool, I'd like to buy it, but the zip code thing prevents me from checking out :(
PayPal should settle it as soon as possible.

aberrantdsp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 pm We do have a demo version planned! It might be a little bit of time but we agree that a demo would be a great thing to offer.
I'm still curious about SketchCassette. Will the demo version be available soon?

I didn't go through the thread (so this might have been posted already).
But these reaktor ensembles are free. First one is really popular.

https://blog.native-instruments.com/7-o ... ensembles/

Return to “Effects”