Need advice | Waves: API 550 or PuigTec EQs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for some analog flavour EQ and demoed both these plugins yesterday. I liked them both, but API 550 a tad better. I can afford to buy only one during the current Lu Diaz sale, which is about to get over in next couple of hours.

Any quick recommendation on which one I should go for?

Thank you! :tu:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:15 am I am looking for some analog flavour EQ and demoed both these plugins yesterday. I liked them both, but API 550 a tad better. I can afford to buy only one during the current Lu Diaz sale, which is about to get over in next couple of hours.

Any quick recommendation on which one I should go for?

Thank you! :tu:
Very different eq curves and functions.
The two 550's are for "general use" across the full range, the Pultec style eqs usually get use for the low shelf trick of boost+attenuation (around minute 06:10 in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlgBOKtIq3Y

A couple things worth considering for the two waves versions of pultec and 550's.
- puigtec models saturation from the original hardware and will actually color the sound, while the 550's are basically only eq curves (very nice ones though) and leave the signal quite clean
- puigtec is a slightly "heavier" plugin and will induce some latency, the 550's are zero latency

So I realize all this could maybe stifle you even more in the decision, but the thing is they are very different and serve quite different purposes. You are the only one to know what's best considering what you already have and what you plan on doing with your music stuff.

Once you get used to the Pultec bass 'trick' it's hard to boost bass without it - Extra bass without the mud. Same trick can be done for the highs.

I have the Puigtec, but don't use it. I much prefer the Nomad Facctory Pulse-teq. Logic Pro has a good emulation, and the channel-strip that I use has a Pultec-style curve. Suffice to say, I can get my fix.

To the op: Maybe try the Ignite Amps PTEq-X Pultec emulation. It's apparently very good, and is free. That way, if you like the sound of both types of eq, you can have them without any extra outlay :tu:

http://www.igniteamps.com/#pteq-x

Gotta have the pultec trick. Alternatives are available. I like the Waves one but haven't tried them all.

An alternative to the API for "mix eq with nice fixed Q" is SlickEQ, which also lets you add some subtle saturation. The Gentleman's Edition is my main EQ for tracking and shaping.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

@Niowiad Good tips. I will check out the tutorial, couldn't see it yesterday when browsing YT.

So, I couldn't resist and ended up picking both PuigTec and API plugins. Got a good deal at Best Service. I am already a Waves user, so I thought I will stick to getting Waves versions even if there could be slightly better sounding options available, which I don't think I would notice anyway. :hihi:

No offence (and with all due respect), but I am limiting myself from trying different manufacturers and sticking with the ones I have been used to. Keeps things relatively easy to maintain and I also won't need to remember that I bought a plugin of a company that I might not even remember the name of.

:tu: :)

do yourself a favor and check out noiseash ruletec...seriously is light years better then waves this is my opinion anyways. no mix ever gets mixed without it. api by waves...meh didn't like it. for the api curves i'd rather use volko and then add a transformer saturation plugin after it. all of this is my opinion, just don't like waves emulations that much.

well i mean, he's already made his purchase.

Return to “Effects”