How to Practice Identifying Chord Extensions Quickly?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I was watching this video from Adam Neely where he explains slash chords https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eoD_dR4fA. My question is in regards to how do you practice instantly recognising note extensions in chords (eg: "this chord is a CMaj9(b5) second inversion, without the 3rd)? Is there a way of practising music theory and performance on the piano where you identify chords without just outright memorising every chord and its inversion?

Do a lot of chord analysis of existing songs. Do it a lot. Just go through your entire CD / MP3 collection / Spotify list.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Here's one approach I like: get some Jamey Aebersold play-along recordings of various chord patterns (or/and tunes). Read along with the changes, and play the root of each chord as it goes by, then try playing the appropriate 2nd/9th of each chord as it goes by, then the 3rd, etc,etc. Pay particular attention to commonly altered notes - trying flat, natural and sharp versions of the 5th, natural and sharp 11, on dominant chords try sharp 11, altered 9, flat 13, etc. On minor chords try Maj 7, natural and flat 6, natural and flat 5. Take note of what does and doesn't sound good to you.

I would say the first thing here is to train towards interval recognition; this training in a school kind of a deal involves sight-singing; in any case singing intervals is really fundamental, tie your ear to your physicality, your reality.
Transcribe off of recordings, sing the notes and then relate it to where you find the things on your instrument, should it be other than your voice that is.

I like this advice, training interval recognition.

Lots of good advice in this thread.
Personally, I find that nothing makes me recognize just about any kind of structure in music as well as thoroughly learning/composing something that contains it.

there is a reason blind folks play a keyboard, and music teachers are always telling you "practice practice, practice!"

the keyboard is about muscle memory. once you have muscle memory, you don't have to look at the keyboard anymore. you can stare at your dog and play.

Return to “Music Theory”