Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

himalaya wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am I agree with wanting to replace the 3D knob design.
GUIs with 3D knobs are not helpful, as some may think. There is no reason to use them in software. Fake angles, knob shadows...serve no purpose. A nice, aesthetic look can be obtained with skeuomorphic 2D (top view) design which can be as clean and easy to read as a good flat skin.

Having said that, the 3D knob angle on this skin is tastefully done, not overstated, and I would have no issues using this GUI.
I'm fine with it as is as well... if it were my choice and would use a more 2D design. It is easier on the eyes.

chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm To be totally honest, i liked the v1 GUI more. The distribution of sections was more consistent.

I'd put the filter section where the LFO section is, and vice versa. Filter has a higher priority than LFO for me. And... the MSEG thing would rather fit into the center, for me.
I'm fine with the filter placement. I don't think swapping with the LFO section would mean more clarity or less clicking.

Additional functionality I would like to see:

MPE support
An option to trigger the MSEG on note off (same for LFO)
Add LFO depth as a mod source so for example one can fade out the LFO via another mod source.
Add Env Attack shape (there is no room on the GUI so at least as a mod target)
The current shape parameter (decay and release slope) as a mod target

pdxindy wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:17 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm To be totally honest, i liked the v1 GUI more. The distribution of sections was more consistent.

I'd put the filter section where the LFO section is, and vice versa. Filter has a higher priority than LFO for me. And... the MSEG thing would rather fit into the center, for me.
I'm fine with the filter placement. I don't think swapping with the LFO section would mean more clarity or less clicking.
The thing is, the signal flow is a bit weird the way it is in the screenshot. Flows from left to right in the first row, then from right to left in the second row. It would make more sense to "exclude" the oscillators from the signal flow, and then do a proper signal flow in the lower row(s). And have the biggest window (MSEG) in the center, which looks better to me. Anyway, just my opinion.

I just had a quick play with it.
This gives you 4 lfo's without the need for tabbing (main controls would need to go on a ribbon on top).

icarus_test.jpg
(rightclick to see at 100%)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm Additional functionality I would like to see:

MPE support
An option to trigger the MSEG on note off (same for LFO)
Add LFO depth as a mod source so for example one can fade out the LFO via another mod source.
Add Env Attack shape (there is no room on the GUI so at least as a mod target)
The current shape parameter (decay and release slope) as a mod target
+1
Best
YY

In my mind I have already bought it!
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I would only consider it if it supports MPE!

Is the resynthesis engine spectral or additive ?

Neon Breath wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm Is the resynthesis engine spectral or additive ?
Neither nor, it's a wavetable synth.

This is looking like a really nice update...particularly at the lower projected pricepoint. I welcome the reworked UI, while echoing comments from others about aligning style of elements and removing the knob view angle.

How many mod matrix slots does Icarus 2 have? I still find the amount of slots in most Tone2 synths extremely limiting and down right frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I love my Electra X but I very quickly run out of modulation slots when trying to build nuanced patches that have small variations in sound and playing from a keyboard. A simple velocity to mod slot that modulates another mod slot scenario very quickly eats up all the slots.

EDIT: For those wondering, Electra X has only 10 modulation matrix slots. Simply setting up very basic velocity (a few key targets), mod wheel and after touch mappings eats up almost all available slots. Such a shame on such a potentially powerful synth.
Last edited by bmanic on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Neon Breath wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm Is the resynthesis engine spectral or additive ?
Here's some info from the manual:

The following resynthesis options are available:
◦ Easy create patch: Resynthesis - Is the default mode which gives the best results
with most sounds.
◦ Easy create patch: Additive Resynthesis - Works like the previous one, but
removes all phase information and detuning from the sample. As a result you get
the cold sound known from additive synthesizers.
TIP: Later you can use the spectral editor to change the partials and to turn Icarus
into a complete additive synthesizer!
◦ Easy create patch: Resynthesis for noisy sounds - Works like the normal
resynthesis, but sometimes gives better results with very noisy sounds like flutes.
◦ Easy create patch: Granulator - Creates a patch which uses granular synthesis.
In granular synthesis a sample is divided into small 'grains' with a window function.
Use the OCT knob to control the density of the grains. Use the MORPH knob the
change the pitch of the grains. Change the Lfo1 SHAPE to a triangle for a forward
and backward playback. Change Lfo1 SPEED for a faster or slower playback of the
sound. When you set SPEED to 0 you can timefreeze the sample. You can use the
WAVE knob to move within the sound.

so much fun, seeing all the (contradictory) 'needs' people have; good reason for having skins to choose from. meanwhile, am happy to see this coming, icarus is my fave tone2 synth.

what is that ugly red?

Return to “Instruments”