thank god for studio one 3.51

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

LawrenceF wrote:
don1thedon wrote:Not seen this, but can't say I currently use keyswitching a great deal. Happy to try and replicate it if you want to describe details to copy, maybe using an Ultimate instrument?
Studio One doesn't have an articulation manager of any kind, it's one of the higher voted FR's.

There's a couple of methods that work better than clicking in midi notes in the key editor for articulations. One of them is using macros to quickly create and edit overlaying key switch clips on the arrange tracks. This has the obvious benefit of both always easily seeing where the switches are and also retaining the freedom to transpose from arrange without also breaking the key switches (which of course would also transpose the articulation note pitches otherwise).
Studio One X (it's a set of Extensions for Studio One made by a user) has a pretty good articulation editor. In fact, there's a few features that work great for using sample libraries in S1.

Muziksculp wrote:Interesting. Would it be possible for you to explain how to create the Macros to quickly create and edit overlaying key switch clips on the arrrange tracks ?
Yeah. The setup for it (as with other similar things) can be a little tedious, but once it's done it's done. Basically...

Key switches are just midi notes so you create macros to copy and paste any single midi note from anywhere and pitch it directly to a particular key switch. The paste operation puts the new clip on top of the main clip. So basically, you'd have a macro toolbar group and buttons for say "Strings", range select over a single midi note (or a group of notes if you can't isolate a single note, doesn't matter really since they'll all get pitched to the same note later anyway) from anywhere on the track, click a button titled "Pizz" and it copies the note, pastes at the cursor location as a new clip overlaying the string clip, names that clip "Pizz", and transposes the midi note to to whatever the Pizz note pitch is.

It's all (the macros) just copy, paste, transpose, rename... but you have to set it all up to pitch to the right notes.

It ends up looking like this below, with the switches laying of top of the main clip. That works well (for me anyway) because you can easily edit and move the switches around without ever going into the key editor and you get the articulation names on the clips. And of course, you can edit the main clip in arrange without screwing up the switches.

Hi LawrenceF,

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm hoping that S1-ver. 4 will have a built-in dedicated tool to manage key-switches that is well implemented, and easy to setup.

For now, I have various other tools like HW controllers with buttons (assigning buttons to notes), and an iPad Lemur that are helping me with key-switches to select various articulations when using orchestral libraries.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

LawrenceF wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:35 pm
Muziksculp wrote:Interesting. Would it be possible for you to explain how to create the Macros to quickly create and edit overlaying key switch clips on the arrrange tracks ?
Yeah. The setup for it (as with other similar things) can be a little tedious, but once it's done it's done. Basically...

Key switches are just midi notes so you create macros to copy and paste any single midi note from anywhere and pitch it directly to a particular key switch. The paste operation puts the new clip on top of the main clip. So basically, you'd have a macro toolbar group and buttons for say "Strings", range select over a single midi note (or a group of notes if you can't isolate a single note, doesn't matter really since they'll all get pitched to the same note later anyway) from anywhere on the track, click a button titled "Pizz" and it copies the note, pastes at the cursor location as a new clip overlaying the string clip, names that clip "Pizz", and transposes the midi note to to whatever the Pizz note pitch is.

It's all (the macros) just copy, paste, transpose, rename... but you have to set it all up to pitch to the right notes.

It ends up looking like this below, with the switches laying of top of the main clip. That works well (for me anyway) because you can easily edit and move the switches around without ever going into the key editor and you get the articulation names on the clips. And of course, you can edit the main clip in arrange without screwing up the switches.

Is that still posdible in Studio One 4.5? And do you have a picture cause this one is gone.

Thanks
What ever!

For the love of god, please tell me there's a way to make shortcuts contextual. Like why can't the delete key just act globally, i.e. if I select a track it deletes the track and if I select an event it deletes the event? So frustrating.

looks like this is what he's talking about but it looks like a tedious workflow. i think I'd rather enter the velocity in the CC lane than use a menu like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEm-B8tybhw
What ever!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”