FR: Tal Drum Sampler 4x4

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This Impact XT is designed excellent. It's got everything you need from a drum machine [not sure about layers per pad?] in a simple layout. :tu:

The only thing that bothers me is envelope faders which are too small. Drums usually need very precise adjustments of envelopes.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I’d be happy with more outs

If anyone is using Bitwig or Live, just load drum machine device and add tal sampler to as many pads as you want/need.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am If anyone is using Bitwig or Live, just load drum machine device and add tal sampler to as many pads as you want/need.
It would be easier to use the Bitwig sampler, no? Then you can drag and drop samples straight to the pads : ) If you need the sampler emulation stuff, then TAL-DAC could be added to the pad chain.

If you're not using Bitwig, then there's more than a few 4x4 (or more) drum samplers around, at various price points, and varying functionality (Nuance (currently 40% off), Atlas, XO, Nerve, Battery, etc...). Or hold out for TAL-Drum... : )

Patrick has said that for drum samples, the TAL Dac will produce he same sound as Sampler. For instruments, Sampler is needed. So, it seems that using TAL Dac with whatever drum solution of choice will be sufficient.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 pm If you need the sampler emulation stuff, then TAL-DAC could be added to the pad chain.
Too easy and makes too much sense :smack:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 pm If you need the sampler emulation stuff, then TAL-DAC could be added to the pad chain.
Too easy and makes too much sense :smack:
:lol:

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm Patrick has said that for drum samples, the TAL Dac will produce he same sound as Sampler. For instruments, Sampler is needed. So, it seems that using TAL Dac with whatever drum solution of choice will be sufficient.
Not really, you’re missing out on all the pitch shifting algorithms.

RobGee wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 am
perpetual3 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm Patrick has said that for drum samples, the TAL Dac will produce he same sound as Sampler. For instruments, Sampler is needed. So, it seems that using TAL Dac with whatever drum solution of choice will be sufficient.
I asked him this question directly and that’s what he said. I just rack up Sampler for drums.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:01 pm
RobGee wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 am
I asked him this question directly and that’s what he said. I just rack up Sampler for drums.
Well Patrick is presuming that people don’t pitch their drums which is not the case. Seeing as Tal Sampler was so cheap, I’d happily pay for a drum sampler from them that has all the same resampling modes and filters but is more tailored towards drums with multiple outputs etc. I won’t be holding my breath though...

Do you play your drum samples at various pitches? For example one tom sample played as high, mid and low tom? Then I can see why you'd want the different aliasing per pitch.

If you don't play your drum samples at various pitches, then you can use TAL DAC and just dial in the sample rate you like.

What helps for that extra grit is to pitch up your samples in a wave editor first (for example +8), then load those samples in your sampler/sample play and pitch them down again (-8).

The world needs a drum sampler with quality pitch shifting like the 8 point windowed sinc interpolation in the Akai S1000. I have yet to hear a soft sampler sound as good when pitching drums as my '90s Akai, Emu and Yamaha samplers. It's hard to fathom how we're in 2020 and these old boxes still sound so much tastier than DAW samplers.

Want to try it in TAL Sampler, but tbh the interface isn't well suited to drums at all...I'd be very interested in trying a repackaged version of it. The sound engine is already there...I think such a product would be very popular.

What host are you using? TAL Sampler is pretty low CPU. You can just instantiate an instance for each pad in an Ableton rack or Bitwig drum device, not sure of other hosts though.

Return to “TAL Software”