universal hardware VST controller

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

night guys!
interesting to know, what MIDI controller/keyboard you think the best for pre-maping almost every VST synth?
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

This probably belongs in the hardware forum, but if money is a secondary concern, buy a hardware synth with lots of knobs, faders and buttons and a good MIDI implementation. The Summit looks like a terrific option. I have a System-8 and it's very good for most synthesisers. The nice thing is, in addition to a great controller, you've got a standalone instrument.

If you don't want a synth, I'd consider a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol. Not as many real-time controls, but you've got a screen and lots of premade mappings.

NatLife wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 am night guys!
interesting to know, what MIDI controller/keyboard you think the best for pre-maping almost every VST synth?
Kore2. Been obsoleted for a decade though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I'm stuck for years to my BCR2000 controller.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Akai MPK261.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I can recommend Behringer BCR2000 and BCF2000, too. Also my beloved Novation Remote37SL. This little 3 octave keyboard is my performance "synth". :wink: I also have Akai MPD32 for drums, and the faders, pots, and knobs on it are incredibly nice and sturdy, easy to map, so it gets lots of usage, too. Just try counting all the pots, faders, and knobs that I have at my disposal with all these... I don't know. :hihi: Plus you can change the setup and templates with each one on the fly. Oh, and all of them have classic MIDI and USB, both. I prefer classic MIDI for better timing. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm I prefer classic MIDI for better timing. :tu:
??? :dog:
USB Midi is multitudes faster, max resolution for classic Midi is 1 ms, and only if you don't play cords and don't send aftertouch or other controllers...

mouse

DuX wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm I can recommend Behringer BCF2000, too. Also my beloved Novation Remote37SL.
Both top notch. The BCF is a bit noisy imho, but great for what it costs. The entire RemoteSL series are awesome controllers, especially the first series. The new SL mk III looks cool, but I've not tried one.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:09 pm I'm stuck for years to my BCR2000 controller.
i remember this old good controller, and it's motorized faders right?
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 am This probably belongs in the hardware forum, but if money is a secondary concern, buy a hardware synth with lots of knobs, faders and buttons and a good MIDI implementation. The Summit looks like a terrific option. I have a System-8 and it's very good for most synthesisers. The nice thing is, in addition to a great controller, you've got a standalone instrument.

If you don't want a synth, I'd consider a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol. Not as many real-time controls, but you've got a screen and lots of premade mappings.
well, more looking for Native Kontrol m32 and s61(to change my CME UF50 - thats working terrible with polugins and FL Studio), but thnks for the advice about System 8, it's interesting to get both in one too

Novation Remote SL mk1 and mk2 series by a long shot. It has the most controls therefor the least pages and allows you to set the range of the controls when the useful range is a small part of the automation total range. It's actually extremely easy to set up and while it uses a wrapper, the wrapper can disappear any time and the normal VSTs work in it's place just fine. It's pretty transparent.

Kore has been discontinued indeed, but not obsoleted, as it still works, still gets (user) support and remains head and shoulders above the rest.

Automap easily comes in second place with a control system damn near as good as Kore's. Shame the hardware feels a bit cheap.

In a distant third place is Akai VIP which is technically sound but too buggy and ghetto to be of much use. Everything else on the market is pure trash, especially "classic midi", or even worse, komplete kontrol.

I've had good success with VIP and an Advance49. I can map out anything that isn't already mapped.

If I could swing the price of a large knobby synth (system 8, jdxa, etc), I think that would be more inspiring to program though.

Nektar Panorama P series. It doesn't use wrappers in many of the supported DAWs. Nektarine works as a mapping editor for it.

Return to “Instruments”