Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

Hello,

Sorry, it seems that I underestimated the scope of the changes! :-/ About the units, I'm not sure whether it should be related to the current tempo or independent from it and just in milliseconds. As far as I know the attack of the instruments is normally unrelated to the tempo being used. So my suggestion would be:

Delay field in milliseconds (positive or negative values accepted), default value 0. When either the delay field is modified or the tempo is changed, do the conversion from milliseconds to 1/1024th notes and store (and use) that delay in 1/1024th notes internally for delaying the events being sent to the SF2, VSTi and Midi, VST host, etc...

However I appreciate it's a lot more work than I initially thought... thank you for your excellent work!

I was trying to workaround this by using RC in combination with Reaper as a VST plug-in and having the delay set in Reaper. However, unfortunately when RC is used as a VST plug-in, it does not work well for me because then RC does not follow the actual notes being played closely enough, having weird delays. Also the "local control" does not work well with Reaper doing strange things and the chords/note previews do not work well either as a plugin. Therefore I work much better with RC standalone using it as a "DAW" as much as I can. That has issues too, for example no delays, difficult to control volume properly, crashes when using Halion6 but not when using Halion Sonic, and sometimes it loses connection to the Halion Sonic instance and despite rebooting the PC it cannot get it back and I have to re-create the Halion Sonic instance and re-load all the instruments one by one again...

In any case, despite the occasional issues, RC standalone works much better for me, so having a few "DAW-like" functions such as better volume control, track delays, etc, would be very useful.

Thanks again!

Is there any news about the melody editor that was in planning? I've admired that Musical Palette program, which has been mentioned before in this forum, but it's very rigid in its workflow and the fact that you can't import MIDI makes it unusable for me. I'd love a feature that would allow me to import a short MIDI motif into RapidComposer--for example, one generated in Magenta Studio--and then apply functions like inversion, deletion, retrograde, etc, as with Melody Palette.

hi,

is there any news about the voice-based note indexing, would be so useful if the open/close chord structures would look similarly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjkA8aAdYo
is there any workaround for this?
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Yes, I also always wanted the program to develop and give different versions of those melodies that I played. And I very rarely use melody generators (yes in the drums!)) For me, the value of developing a program is to improve my melodies, and of course everything related to chords and harmony!

xhevahir wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:36 am Is there any news about the melody editor that was in planning? I've admired that Musical Palette program, which has been mentioned before in this forum, but it's very rigid in its workflow and the fact that you can't import MIDI makes it unusable for me.
Thanks for the question. The melody editor will have to wait, I am afraid. However soon I want to add a new variation which will modify an existing phrase in several ways. You can set up the number of steps and the allowed modifications.
xhevahir wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:36 amI'd love a feature that would allow me to import a short MIDI motif into RapidComposer--for example, one generated in Magenta Studio--and then apply functions like inversion, deletion, retrograde, etc, as with Melody Palette.
This is what variations can be used for. You can apply all the mentioned variations (non-destructively) to the imported phrase.

Thanks,
Attila

xbitz wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 am hi,

is there any news about the voice-based note indexing, would be so useful if the open/close chord structures would look similarly
Hello xbitz,

Voicing will be reworked for v4.0. I found out a new (more complex internally) method for handling voicings which will allow logical transposition. On the other hand as you suggest a new voicing option must be introduced for each phrase if they want to handle the voiced chord as a new chord (disable note duplication).

Thanks,
Attila

Hi,

(This post refers to RapidComposer v3.71, Windows version)
I'm noticing that when using Quick Suggestions for previewing/setting a chord in the Master Track that once a new chord is previewed (clicked on, sounded) the original chord is immediately replaced in the Master Track.

RC Quick Sugg No Original Choice 01.jpg

Two situations pertain:

1. The original chord does appear, somewhere in the set of presented choices, but is not marked as such.

2. The original chord does not appear at all in the set of presented choices. (as in the picture above)

I have discovered that a "destroyed" original chord can be recovered via Ctrl-Z immediatly after exiting the Quick Suggestions. This is good.

I think it would be even better if also the original chord (prior chord, previous chord, however you want to label it) were captured into the Quick Suggestions in all cases, clearly labeled as such, and made available for audition/comparison/choice just as all the other chords are.

In some contexts there may not be an "original chord", in which case the UI for it could either not appear, or probably more clearly still appear and be greyed out/left blank/marked-as-"None" or similar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good idea, thanks sj1! :tu:

sj1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm Hi,

(This post refers to RapidComposer v3.71, Windows version)
I'm noticing that when using Quick Suggestions for previewing/setting a chord in the Master Track that once a new chord is previewed (clicked on, sounded) the original chord is immediately replaced in the Master Track.

RC Quick Sugg No Original Choice 01.jpg

Two situations pertain:

1. The original chord does appear, somewhere in the set of presented choices, but is not marked as such.

2. The original chord does not appear at all in the set of presented choices. (as in the picture above)

I have discovered that a "destroyed" original chord can be recovered via Ctrl-Z immediatly after exiting the Quick Suggestions. This is good.

I think it would be even better if also the original chord (prior chord, previous chord, however you want to label it) were captured into the Quick Suggestions in all cases, clearly labeled as such, and made available for audition/comparison/choice just as all the other chords are.

In some contexts there may not be an "original chord", in which case the UI for it could either not appear, or probably more clearly still appear and be greyed out/left blank/marked-as-"None" or similar.
Actually, it is working as designed. Chord suggestions are based on the position of the chord in the progression, which is further dependent on chord rules. The first chord in the progression/part is a special case.

All of this is covered in the user guide videos.

Since getting that cool piece of software, Midi Translator, it would be really cool if you could work out a way to control some elements of RC via midi messages.

The way I have my midi keyboard setup, I use two templates. One template is for software control, the other is for performance. Maybe a 4.0 idea..??

I am still thinking about this. Other than simple functionality like PLAY/STOP/REWIND I don't what else could make sense to control from a MIDI keyboard. OK, playing the selected phrase with the chord you hold on the keyboard would be useful...

musicdevelopments wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 pm I am still thinking about this. Other than simple functionality like PLAY/STOP/REWIND I don't what else could make sense to control from a MIDI keyboard. OK, playing the selected phrase with the chord you hold on the keyboard would be useful...
yea It's new ground for me, so, other than what you mentioned, have no clue, yet.. that will change though lol..

Hi Attila!
Two small suggestions ..thank
1 2019-08-28 в 12.52.53.png
1 2019-08-28 в 12.46.29.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very good suggestions, lulukom. Thank you!

As far as I understand, note length resolution currently doesn't go any lower than 1/8 notes. Is it possible in the future to add 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1? Thank you
MacOS 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Studio One 4.6
Rapid Composer, Orb Composer

Return to “MusicDevelopments”