Lets have real talk about audio interfaces

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

editted.

Managed myself f**k us right forte except the little buggy driver the converters are on par with very high end units.I replaced audient and duet 2 witch are ear piercing mixing was always a chore with those bright converters.

Managed myself f**k us right forte(100 quid)except the little buggy driver the converters are on par with very high end units.I replaced audient and duet 2 witch are ear piercing mixing was always a chore with those bright converters.

I've been very satisfied with the performance of my Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 in conjunction with ADAT 8-channel outboard preamp and some additional TOSLINK units...all mapped through the very compelling Saffire MixControl software that enables zero-latency monitoring and multiple mixer setups for instant recall.

The Focusrite PRO line and the RED line continue to be solid choices...priced competitively (not the cheapest, but not NEVE or UA pricing either)

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:20 pm
EnochLight wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm
egbert101 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 pm I've done a lot of research. I'm going to get the Behringer UMC404HD, because it's very cheap (£90.00) but has great preamps. Not sure why people assume spending thousands on a USB interface is going to make their sound more magical and higher quality.
More often than not, it's the quality of drivers and support of said hardware that is just as important. £90.00 is indeed super affordable for an audio interface, especially for one that has pre-amps that rate somewhat decent... but you will NEVER get the sort of driver performance and support from Behringer that you would from (say for instance) RME.

That said, at £90.00 - that's so little money that you can just buy a new interface once they drop support. :party:
What exactly should I be looking for in terms of this poor driver performance? It works exactly as expected, producing clear audio with no crashes, dropouts or noticeable latency, just like my previous PreSonus Audiobox and the M-Audio Delta I had before that. It's also class compliant, so you don't really need any additional drivers, although I downloaded them anyway because you get a nifty little utility to quickly set the buffer size, sample rate etc.
Come back and let us know how well the drivers work in 8-10 years after a hardware change or two, and various OS updates. ;)

Also, are you able to get rock-solid latency down to 64 samples?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:40 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:20 pm
EnochLight wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm
egbert101 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 pm I've done a lot of research. I'm going to get the Behringer UMC404HD, because it's very cheap (£90.00) but has great preamps. Not sure why people assume spending thousands on a USB interface is going to make their sound more magical and higher quality.
More often than not, it's the quality of drivers and support of said hardware that is just as important. £90.00 is indeed super affordable for an audio interface, especially for one that has pre-amps that rate somewhat decent... but you will NEVER get the sort of driver performance and support from Behringer that you would from (say for instance) RME.

That said, at £90.00 - that's so little money that you can just buy a new interface once they drop support. :party:
What exactly should I be looking for in terms of this poor driver performance? It works exactly as expected, producing clear audio with no crashes, dropouts or noticeable latency, just like my previous PreSonus Audiobox and the M-Audio Delta I had before that. It's also class compliant, so you don't really need any additional drivers, although I downloaded them anyway because you get a nifty little utility to quickly set the buffer size, sample rate etc.
Come back and let us know how well the drivers work in 8-10 years after a hardware change or two, and various OS updates. ;)

Also, are you able to get rock-solid latency down to 64 samples?
Not too worried about it lasting 10 years, though I see no reason why it wouldn't. It's class compliant so it doesn't need any additional drivers for basic operation, and the ASIO driver is solid.

Just tried it and everything works great at 64 samples (and even 32, didn't try lower) but I normally work at higher settings to reduce CPU usage. Most of these interfaces use the same audio chips from manufacturers like Cirrus Logic, so performance tends to be very similar. Most audio latency/dropout problems are caused by other hardware generating excessive DPC latency, power save settings, or simply not enough CPU performance.

Like I said in another thread, I prefer it over my old PreSonus Audiobox, which had the problem with audio bleeding from the inputs into the main output, and also used those horrible clicky pots.

Just installed Rubix 22 on my mac. Or installed is wrong word, I just plug in it and everything worked.

Different from my old Roland Quad Capture, if remember correct, is I can have higher volume, maximum, on my Genelec without any notable background noise when nothing is played. Driver also seem different since it's now not longer possible to adjust volume on computer keyboard. Sound is now entirely controlled from the volume on the Rubix - which is better!

But, do anyone know if possible to lower intensity of the leds? The white led is annoying to the eyes!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”