Elektron suggestions and/or alternatives

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m going to be selling a bunch of guitar gear (Rivera TBR-1M, 1996 Les Paul Studio, Eden Nemesis RS-700 bass head, bunch of pedals) so I can invest in some synths and drum machines. Basically, selling my 20s to pay for my 40s, lol.

I’ve been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on making music without a DAW (Ricky Tinez is the man), and I’m considering going with two out of these:

Elektron Analog Rytm MkII
Elektron Analog Four MkII
Elektron Octatrack MkII
Elektron Digitone Keys

I think I’m leaning toward Keys + Rytm, but I would like other’s opinions on their experiences with these or with other alternatives that would put me in the same total price range. Maybe an Arturia keyboard plus a regular Digitone would be a better investment?

If it matters, I make bad techno music, and the Overbridge technology really appeals to me.

I had an Analog Four that I swapped for an Analog Four Keys. It's never ever going to leave my studio. It has a sound of it's own and the parameter locking with the sequencer is something I'd wish every synth had!
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

The Analog Rytm has one of the coolest bass-engines I know of. Excellent tones and weirdness. Analog Four / Keys is a whole different beast fantastic sound capabilities, but it would never be my number one choice for bass. You can absolutely get a deep and heavy bass from it - but that requires you to work for it.

Of your choices I would pick Analog Rytm MkII (probably my favourite piece of gear in my whole studio!) and a Digitone. Then you have covered deep analog basses and FM + analog and digital weirdness, and for techno that's pretty much everything you'd need.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07 am The Analog Rytm has one of the coolest bass-engines I know of. Excellent tones and weirdness. Analog Four / Keys is a whole different beast fantastic sound capabilities, but it would never be my number one choice for bass. You can absolutely get a deep and heavy bass from it - but that requires you to work for it.

Of your choices I would pick Analog Rytm MkII (probably my favourite piece of gear in my whole studio!) and a Digitone. Then you have covered deep analog basses and FM + analog and digital weirdness, and for techno that's pretty much everything you'd need.

/C
Not Techno but very cool with the Elektron boxes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKc6XZ9GrJU

:tu:

Very cool stuff Rob. The more I hear of the Machinedrum the more I want one.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I'd at least consider a Digitakt on that list - even if you're not into sampling, you can do a ton at I think around half the price of Rytm. I love Rytm (from what I've seen - don't own it), but feel like it's more "boutique" at that price.

JoeCat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm I'd at least consider a Digitakt on that list - even if you're not into sampling, you can do a ton at I think around half the price of Rytm. I love Rytm (from what I've seen - don't own it), but feel like it's more "boutique" at that price.
I am more interested in having great analog drums than sampling, but your point is well taken. The Rytm MkII has limited sampling capabilities, so there’s that.

dangayle wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:17 pm
JoeCat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm I'd at least consider a Digitakt on that list - even if you're not into sampling, you can do a ton at I think around half the price of Rytm. I love Rytm (from what I've seen - don't own it), but feel like it's more "boutique" at that price.
I am more interested in having great analog drums than sampling, but your point is well taken. The Rytm MkII has limited sampling capabilities, so there’s that.
Hi I have a new MFB Tanzbar 2 here it's absolutely fantastic and you can also load up your own samples in to the unit.

Has a great analog bass synth built in too.
It sound BIG!

Rob

So I found a new-condition used Digitakt at a pawn shop for $550. I think that supersedes a lot of other arguments, lol

I consider the Analog Rytm MKII one of the greatest electronic instruments of all time. Sound wise, it's got IT. And having a song mode is important to me...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm I consider the Analog Rytm MKII one of the greatest electronic instruments of all time. Sound wise, it's got IT. And having a song mode is important to me...
+1 It truly a fantastic instrument. Digitakt is brilliant too, but if I had to choose - the Analog Rytm MkII would be my choice.

/C

RYTM Mk2.

I knocked this up in about 10 mins when I first bought one to see just how glitchy it could get. Lots of modulation and random sample changing/triggering going on.

recorded direct stereo outputs of the RYTM mk2 and ran though Soothe vst and some cubase limiter I think.

https://youtu.be/5DSkVc3YfHM

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm I consider the Analog Rytm MKII one of the greatest electronic instruments of all time. Sound wise, it's got IT. And having a song mode is important to me...
+1 It truly a fantastic instrument. Digitakt is brilliant too, but if I had to choose - the Analog Rytm MkII would be my choice.

/C
The Rytm also has such a lovely grunge! With the Analog Distortion and Analog Compressor and then start P-Locking them :love: :love: :love:

Digital never quite sounds like that!

rob_lee wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:14 pm
Hi I have a new MFB Tanzbar 2 here it's absolutely fantastic and you can also load up your own samples in to the unit.

Has a great analog bass synth built in too.
It sound BIG!

Rob
I have some Tanzbar drum samples that I am simply in love with. I’ve looked at that drum machine in the past, but didn’t know that it had been updated.

wickfut wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 pm RYTM Mk2.

I knocked this up in about 10 mins when I first bought one to see just how glitchy it could get. Lots of modulation and random sample changing/triggering going on.

recorded direct stereo outputs of the RYTM mk2 and ran though Soothe vst and some cubase limiter I think.

https://youtu.be/5DSkVc3YfHM
Love it. If I end up with that machine, I’m gonna come to you :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”