AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great watch, thanks.

Kaine wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:19 pm ... More interesting to the wider audience is the memory speed retesting I've done the last few days, interesting results indeed.
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/30 ... an-impact/
Thanks a lot for this article about memory testing with the new Ryzen 3rd gen.. I'm very curious about the next part of your "investigation", the full retest you mention at the end of this article. Thanks again, I've learnt so much from your articles and your forum contributions (+ I'm a happy user of one of your Scan 3XS intel i7-6800K builds). :hug:

I been trying to push my Ryzen 3600 & focusrite 18i20 2nd gen and can get the buffer down to 16 samples with under 5ms overall latency, without any glitches at all playing several omnishpere patches, and cpu usage barely creeps upto 20%, even those heavy Roland cloud JP8 & Juno106 barely touch the usage, am very happy considering I struggled with my old i5 intel rig. Which used to hate running Roland vsts usually cranked up cpu usage to over 30% with one vst instance, now can use several easily :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

:tu: Thanks

Goony wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:18 pm I been trying to push my Ryzen 3600 & focusrite 18i20 2nd gen and can get the buffer down to 16 samples with under 5ms overall latency, without any glitches at all playing several omnishpere patches, and cpu usage barely creeps upto 20%, even those heavy Roland cloud JP8 & Juno106 barely touch the usage, am very happy considering I struggled with my old i5 intel rig. Which used to hate running Roland vsts usually cranked up cpu usage to over 30% with one vst instance, now can use several easily
What DAW are you using? ... great info ... thanks for sharing.

I use Ableton Live 10 mainly plus sometimes NI Maschine/Komplete Kontrol
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

ozonepaul wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:31 am Thanks a lot for this article about memory testing with the new Ryzen 3rd gen.. I'm very curious about the next part of your "investigation", the full retest you mention at the end of this article.
I want to do a bit more with CAS timings this week and expand on the last one then I'll do the retest after that, assuming no other questions come up in the meantime. I'm waiting on a more expanded DB build being sent over and I want to be sure on the final settings before running through it again. Each full retest eats up a couple of days of my schedule, so I'm keen not to have to do it a third time.

Kaine wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm (...)So I'm keen not to have to do it a third time.
"The third time is the charm." :D

BTW, seems like higher FCLK is the way even with slower RAM.

Pictus wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:51 am BTW, seems like higher FCLK is the way even with slower RAM.
Yeah, this is why I'm still playing with timings, I want to see the difference in real terms that the various latency levels at various clock speeds give.

I only have anecdotal thoughts.. however I was getting 66 instances before audio dropouts with the compressor in the DSP dawbench test (in Cubase 10) with an i5 4690. In the same test on my new R5 3600 machine, I'm getting 164 instances!

A combination of the improved single core/IPC performance and the sheer number of cores/threads on the Ryzen I think.

Projects that were maxing out my CPU on the i5 are now only using 30-40% of the CPU on my Ryzen system. Nice upgrade.

VitaminD wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:28 am I only have anecdotal thoughts.. however I was getting 66 instances before audio dropouts with the compressor in the DSP dawbench test (in Cubase 10) with an i5 4690. In the same test on my new R5 3600 machine, I'm getting 164 instances!

A combination of the improved single core/IPC performance and the sheer number of cores/threads on the Ryzen I think.

Projects that were maxing out my CPU on the i5 are now only using 30-40% of the CPU on my Ryzen system. Nice upgrade.
Yep Im seeing similar results, I also went from an i5 but a 4460, the upgrade is immense :)

So, LinusTechTips recommends getting DDR4-3600 Mhz memory with LOW latencies.
Never saw this program called "DRAM calculator For Ryzen" before. Interesting. Still waiting for the 3950X to come out. Want to see more motherboards tested as well.

Btw, AMD annonuced their server CPU's, Epyc, yesterday.. They are smashing Intel so hard right now.
The new Epyc CPU's basically has twice the speed - and half the price against Intels Xeon.

cnt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm So, LinusTechTips recommends getting DDR4-3600 Mhz memory with LOW latencies.
Never saw this program called "DRAM calculator For Ryzen" before. Interesting. Still waiting for the 3950X to come out. Want to see more motherboards tested as well.

Btw, AMD annonuced their server CPU's, Epyc, yesterday.. They are smashing Intel so hard right now.
The new Epyc CPU's basically has twice the speed - and half the price against Intels Xeon.
That guy and the rest of the youtube talking heads are not experts. I get the impression most of their 'likes' come from teenagers and leet gamer 20 somethings, so take their views somewhat cautiously imo.

From what I've found on various sites, the differences once you get about 3000 mhz seems negligible in all but a few sensitive games. As far as music production software I'm unsure, but will say I'm running DDR4-3200 and was going to overclock to 3600 after initially seeing the same talking head commentary on memory. After experiencing the system at 3200, I don't feel a need to OC up.

There was a very lengthy article (I think around 17 pages iirc) put out by one of the computer review sites that went through Ryzen and Memory speeds. If you realllyyy want to go down the rabbit hole, look for that. I think it was from a site out of Romania iirc. I don't have the link anymore.

cnt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm Btw, AMD annonuced their server CPU's, Epyc, yesterday.. They are smashing Intel so hard right now.
Not to forget that AMD CPUs are also a lot more safer than Intel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient ... rabilities
Last edited by Pictus on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

VitaminD wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 am From what I've found on various sites, the differences once you get about 3000 mhz seems negligible in all but a few sensitive games. As far as music production software I'm unsure, but will say I'm running DDR4-3200 and was going to overclock to 3600 after initially seeing the same talking head commentary on memory. After experiencing the system at 3200, I don't feel a need to OC up.
Between 8% and 15% for me depending on the speed in question.
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/30 ... an-impact/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”