Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tapper mike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:46 am It looks similar to Hink's Daion I had a similar instrument in the 80's and 90's it was a Washburn Falcon https://reverb.com/item/18479546-washbu ... w.ds&pla=1
Lovely, and the similarity is indeed striking.

My screws should arrive today, and the smell is gone since yesterday (should have done the cleaning outdoors). I've treated the fretboard with lemon oil, and have a set of 20yo strings ready (they still look OK as far as I've checked, and I prolly won't be recording the Asama anymore, esp. when the Revelation I ordered arrives).

Finally took the Ibanez AZ back. I gave it every chance.

No more for me, as stated, I don't think they make one that I want. Maybe a used "elite" Fender if I could get it cheap enough. Gut the crappy Fender electronics and put in a Vega Trem:

https://reverb.com/item/20467070-vega-t ... w.ds&pla=1

https://vegatrem.com/guitar-tremolo/

Turns out my Asama's (DiMarzio?) humbuckers are much louder than the ones on my Ibanez Artstar.
I really like her sound, listening with cans through my Focusrite audio interface - I may have underestimated her in the past.

Sadly, she suffers from fret buzz and at least one semi-dead fret. Shouldn't have lent her out, I guess...
But I'm glad I got her in better shape, at least visually.

Still waiting for my Revelation guitar, a similar model now pops up on a local (Belgium) Craigslist-style site, marketed there by a webshop I never heard of. Over 1500 views, 13 people saved it. Nice to see Revelation get some visibility here, it seems hard to enter the market - and they seem to deserve a spot.

An old one or 2 polished.
2 DIY refrets, using hard jumbo wire.
IMG_20190601_055929.jpg
These 2 are a MIJ Tokai Strat with Tone Rider Pure Vintage pups, fitted a volume treble bleed, no load master tone and a neck blend pot.
IMG_20190731_203001.jpg
MIJ Vox Standard 25 fitted with 3 pups from the web, p/p coil split on neck & middle.
p/p coil split bridge. Volume treble bleed, no load master tone and neck blend pot. Hardtail bridge soon be fitted.
IMG_20190731_203259.jpg

Both purchased circa 1990, £120 & £25 respectively.

Both guitars have outer stings rather close to the edge of the fretboard. My fret end filing could have also been shallower, leaving more area on the frets. :dog:
Hopefully, filing the saddle widths on the Tokai can reduce the overall string spacing to roughly 52.38mm and the new hardtail will sort the other.

The latest £30 acquisition (Cash Converters). Came with a Fender strap.
IMG_20190731_203052.jpg
I fitted new humbucker with p/p coil split and 2 single coils, volume treble bleed, no load master tone and a add neck pup switch.

Also, another victim of my fret level and crown. Still on with intonation. It's fitted with Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbucker set with 2 p/p pots wired in series/parallel, I swapped neck magnet for an alnico 2 magnet.
IMG_20190731_215503.jpg
Hopefully sorted most guitar problems, except for the acoustic, (frets less than 1mm high after a fret level, needs refret, setup and piezo fitting) back to making music. :)
All fretboards relicced in the A minor pentatonic position.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

its guitar month :band:
tomorrow.
not that we know what guitar month even is.
but tomorrow is it! :band2:

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm its guitar month :band:
tomorrow.
I think it's a month with guitars.

Guitar resurrection month.
Old is the new new.
Not not be confused with noo noo.

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm its guitar month :band:
tomorrow.

Hmmm, I just Googled Guitar Month and I got this...

"International Guitar Month in April inspires the world to strum and pick their way through chords to sweet serenity."

Bloody marketeers...every freakin' retailer around the world probably has their own guitar month...how the fark am I going to convince the Missus that this is actually the case????

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 pm
Some stuff with wires and wood.
I admire your patience with this fiddly type stuff, winds me up immensely adjusting or fixing anything.
I can just about change a set of strings without losing my rag. Was reading on some website (pompousguitarwanker.com or some such) where some lad was saying you should change your strings before every recording session. Daft twat, is he having a giraffe?

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 am I admire your patience with this fiddly type stuff, winds me up immensely adjusting or fixing anything.
I can just about change a set of strings without losing my rag.
Was reading on some website (pompousguitarwanker.com or some such) where some lad was saying you should change your strings before every recording session. Daft twat, is he having a giraffe?
Well, it was the lesser of 2 evils, either pay someone to do it, or DIY. So I got some basic tools off Ebay and did it, one to go, a Yamaha acoustic.
I was tired of buying sub £40 guitars from pawnshops just to have something to play, second hand guitars usually have fret wear too.

I'm with you on the string changing, I been known to gig strings to the point of rusting, or when they needed changing.

Purchased 24 packs of these below to fill out a order, £1.36 a pack, just as good other brands.
Started with Ernie Ball (too many breaking) to Rotosound in bulk, now these below.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... gs_010.htm

Look at James Jamerson, he changed them when they broke.

Happy as a pig in muck having a guitar that rings and is in tune all the way up the neck, happy days.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 amWas reading on some website (pompousguitarwanker.com or some such) where some lad was saying you should change your strings before every recording session. Daft twat, is he having a giraffe?
I'm lucky if I change my underwear that often, let alone guitar strings.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 am
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 amWas reading on some website (pompousguitarwanker.com or some such) where some lad was saying you should change your strings before every recording session. Daft twat, is he having a giraffe?
I'm lucky if I change my underwear that often, let alone guitar strings.
:hihi: The nutnecks are full of this type of bizzle; the other one being, "before you start recording make sure you do some warm up exercises." Warm...up...exercises? If I start playing something else I'll forget what it is I'm supposed to be recording. Have these pillocks never heard of copy and paste?

An advice request-- Recently got out the 1998 Parker NiteFly after a couple of years and even put new strings on it, to play some thumb-fingered guitar parts on a song. I cheat shamelessly when recording guitar. It is closer to "step-time MIDI note entry" the way I record guitar, I am so bad at it.

So anyway the Parker still has a "perfect neck and setup" so far as I can tell. Plays all notes in tune all the way up and down, nothing buzzes when picked "properly".

But that has always been the problem, "proper picking" and it seemed to be even worse lately. I just seem to pick the strings too hard buzzing them against the frets. All the frets are level and the string height seems OK. It doesn't buzz notes except when I pick them too hard but it is near impossible to keep from picking them too hard.

Maybe the solution would be to put on heavy gauge black diamond strings and raise the strings a half inch off the neck so even my clumsyness couldn't pick the strings too hard.

Or maybe I could learn to pick the strings properly. I usually use real soft floppy picks. Any tips on how to practice not slapping the strings against the fretboard when you pick the geetar?

JCJR wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:47 pm An advice request-- Recently got out the 1998 Parker NiteFly after a couple of years and even put new strings on it, to play some thumb-fingered guitar parts on a song. I cheat shamelessly when recording guitar. It is closer to "step-time MIDI note entry" the way I record guitar, I am so bad at it.

So anyway the Parker still has a "perfect neck and setup" so far as I can tell. Plays all notes in tune all the way up and down, nothing buzzes when picked "properly".

But that has always been the problem, "proper picking" and it seemed to be even worse lately. I just seem to pick the strings too hard buzzing them against the frets. All the frets are level and the string height seems OK. It doesn't buzz notes except when I pick them too hard but it is near impossible to keep from picking them too hard.

Maybe the solution would be to put on heavy gauge black diamond strings and raise the strings a half inch off the neck so even my clumsyness couldn't pick the strings too hard.

Or maybe I could learn to pick the strings properly. I usually use real soft floppy picks. Any tips on how to practice not slapping the strings against the fretboard when you pick the geetar?
Possibly put the action up a little bit? That guitar looking at it was probably set up for the metel with a super low action for widdling, whereas for picking there's a bit more room needed for multiple strings to vibrate properly, and also you've got chord shapes held down, rather than one fret at a time (albeit very fast..... :hihi: ). Always a bit of a trade off between playability and maximum ringing out of notes so unfortunately probably a bit of trial and error....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”