Laptop Recommendations ($2.5k)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am always motivated by a good deal. I bought the Acer because it was their last one and they were trying to get rid of it, which is why it was so cheap. With my new one, Dell was offering Au$800 off - from Au$2700 down to Au$1900. This one has a 9th gen CPU, too, so I would expect it to hold its value better than most of my recent purchases. Paying full retail was what killed me with the Surface Book.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Of course, if you sell your old stuff, you can recoup most of your losses. I would not be that sure if this is the best strategy though. There is a lot of work going into the migration of a fully functional system. Add to that the sales process with all its risks you are exposing yourself. And the time needed to do the sale. If you enjoy trading, this might be a good approach. It just never really appealed to me. I am starting to warm up to some of the more recent trade in programs, however.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

"Risk"? I see no risks. Starting with a fresh install every year or so is actually a great way to get rid of stuff you don't need and avoiding bloat. I also get to try a whole lot of different kinds of machines to work out what's going to do the best job for me and, because I don't care if I end up selling it a year or so later, I can take a chance and try out things I might otherwise ignore. Beyond that it's just money and that's not a problem - every Thursday more of it appears in my bank account. It's like magic.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 am Beyond that it's just money and that's not a problem - every Thursday more of it appears in my bank account. It's like magic.
:tu: :lol:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

So, a little update. After some thought, I went with the highest spec dell xps 15 7590, total price 3.5K, and talked them into including a four year warranty for 100$, saving $430.

Looking forward to receiving it, 3 weeks from now :D Going to be a crazy long wait as my current laptop is acting up recently.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Anyone know anything about undervolting and/or overclocking cpu's, experience?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

If latency is a concern i would consider your audio interface and drivers. I have an RME and latency is not a problem.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 pm So, a little update. After some thought, I went with the highest spec dell xps 15 7590, total price 3.5K, and talked them into including a four year warranty for 100$, saving $430.
So Core i9, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, with a 4GB GTX 1650 graphics card? That's the top-spec model I could find on Dell's AU site and it's is twice the full price of the one I bought, closer to three times what I actually paid. It's a big investment, I hope it works out for ya.

Now that my G7 is properly set-up, I am confident it was the right choice for me. It has addressed every single negative I had with the old machine and the only new negative it has brought with it is it's size and weight. I need to buy a new laptop bag, it won't fit in the one I've had for ages. It also has some unexpected upsides - it turns out I really like having a numeral pad and this is the first laptop or monitor I've owned since I got my Sony Bravia TV, about 6 years ago, that actually looks better than the telly. I've tried so many different types of laptop but I think this is the type I should lave been using all along.

A core i9, 32GB RAM and 2 TB SSD, with the GTX 4GB Graphics card, and windows pro with the 4K OLED.

I went back and forth between specs, between 2.8K version and this one, and found ways to justify the extra expense, including receiving a 430 dollar warranty.

I'm actually looking forward to setting up this machine because my last one I couldn't fit all my samples and instruments onto my laptop, so I'm really looking forward to having an "intact" system.

TTU Youtube

Yeah, that's one of the biggies for me, too. On my old laptop, pretty much all my media and data lived on a 512GB microSD card. Having it on a proper, fixed, internal SSD is a huge improvement. I am now officially jealous of your OLED screen. It's about the only thing I can think of that might make me buy another one in a year or two but, for now, they are still too pricey for me.

Got it yesterday. Love it. The speed is crazy. I can load over 140 Toxic II instances playing Dark Pad with 8 voices and didn't come close to maxing it out, closer to 25 percent. My other systems I could get 20 ish. Will see how far I can push it in other daws that aren't buggy at this volume level, haha.

Latency Mon seems to show a greenlight for the system. Will explore some more. Already done installing stuff, just need to transfer over the files.

Oh, and wow, the display looks gorgeous, really!! The best screen I've ever seen. I'm so glad I went the OLED route, but then again, the 4K HD looks equally as good on a side by side, (almost). Either would be fine I think.

TTU Youtube

I've been working and producing on a Dell XPS 15 for a few years - has been great. Was a Dell user for years, switched to Apple for a few years and came back to PC for work. The Dell has been as reliable and a joy to use.

One caveat (which I believe they fixed): The batteries were prone to swell (you'll know 'cause the trackpad will take more and more effort to press for clicks). Replaced with lower power and all is well, but it's probably something to be aware of.

Touch The Universe wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:44 pm Got it yesterday. Love it. The speed is crazy. I can load over 140 Toxic II instances playing Dark Pad with 8 voices and didn't come close to maxing it out, closer to 25 percent. My other systems I could get 20 ish. Will see how far I can push it in other daws that aren't buggy at this volume level, haha.
You know, I've had mine for a fortnight now and I haven't noticed that it is any faster than the dual-core Core i5 in my old laptop (although I'm sure it is). I haven't specifically tested it, nor am I likely to, but I never felt like my old machine was slow, I mostly wanted a bigger screen and more storage. I haven't tried latency below the default 512 samples, either, as it is plenty responsive enough for live drums as is.
I'm so glad I went the OLED route, but then again, the 4K HD looks equally as good on a side by side, (almost). Either would be fine I think.
I'm currently testing a Dell 32" 4k monitor at work and it's nothing to write home about. It doesn't look as good as the Full HD display on my laptop, that's for sure. We're moving offices next year and they are looking at buying 1200 of these screens but everyone in the department agrees that we'd rather keep the dual 27" 2.5k monitors we currently have so that's likely what will happen.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”