Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Smapti wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm To be fair to Unfiltered Audio, they did say availability in August, and it's not August yet.

I agree that the sounds on SoundCloud are underwhelming. My interest in the synth is mostly because the Unfiltered Audio team always makes high-quality plugins. And I don't think it's fair to compare this to Massive X or Avenger -- Lion isn't a wavetable synth and it'll have a very different architecture.
I’m listening to them now... yeah, so far I’ve not really heard anything that made me think “oh man, this is next level” but on the other hand, that second bass sound (bass portamento) is great and overall the quality seems high. It does seem to have a nice vibe to it. We’re in a great time for plugins, that’s for sure.

I almost bought BYOME, but frankly I wasn’t feeling it at all. I have a few of their other plugin effects, which I like a lot, but there was something a bit... flat sounding about BYOME. Having it as a dedicated effect processor in a synth with a great filter? Now I’m interested. I do like having MXXX as the effects section of MPowersynth. I know I could do it with two plugins, but I often just like the workflow of having a single unified interface.

Actually, I’m further down in the soundcloud playlist and I’m hearing a lot that I like very much. There is a richness to the sound that you don’t get from many plugins. It does’t sound like it’s very cutting edge in terms of new synthesis, but I don’t care about that nearly as much as I care about having a really great sounding plugin. I’ll definitely keep my eye out for this when it’s released.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Just reading this thread and the links i have a good understanding of “what it does.”
I think people are confusing UA and PA. In my limited experience and perusing these forums it seems PA has a crap business model and is generally whack. Unfiltered Audio are two devs with a lot of brilliant ideas. Hetrick has already proven that with his Reaktor and VCV contributions.
Watching ppl bitch because a piece of software hasn’t been released yet (before it’s even slated for release no less) is the fairly typical attitude of entitlement that seems to be proliferating on kvr as the years pass. It’s particularly interesting (disturbing?) because some commenters are mainly concerned with buying something in a hurry. I admit that when i joined kvr and only had a few softwares i was very interested in what i might purchase but i was/am more interested in how these tools work and how to apply them to my creative process.
Unfiltered Audio is a great company IMO, it’s too bad they’re associated with Plugin Alliance (also IMO.)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 pm Unfiltered Audio is a great company IMO, it’s too bad they’re associated with Plugin Alliance (also IMO.)
YES

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 pm Unfiltered Audio is a great company IMO, it’s too bad they’re associated with Plugin Alliance (also IMO.)
YES
It's interesting to see how PA is slowly and steadly gaining such a bad reputation among consumers
(and I agree with you)

I've already ranted about Plugin Alliance elsewhere, but with regard to the sound demos it's worth bearing in mind that PA tend to be super-conservative with their sound/video demos. SpecOps was a great example of it. UA were sharing tons of crazy sounds from beta testers on their personal pages, while PA were talking up and creating sound demos of how it could be used a mixing aid (lol) alongside a 'producers react' type promo video that showed pretty much nothing soundwise - a super conventional backing track throughout with 2 or 3 EDM risers from SpecOps. The two companies are such an odd fit.

I certainly wouldn't worry about Lion being in any way conventional once we get the chance to actually use it.

Let’s hope UA are quiet because they’re trying to get out of the PA deal.

Leaving aside all the PA nonsense I'm still really looking forward to this uberBraids ++Byome plugin. Just hope I can afford it.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:12 am Leaving aside all the PA nonsense I'm still really looking forward to this uberBraids ++Byome plugin. Just hope I can afford it.
+1

fwiw it is totally possible to ignore PA's relationship with UA. If you approach it that way the only thing that PA might do for you is give you a cheaper price, other than that it's nbd. IMO the full price is fair and I don't mind paying it: the code is good and the developers should get money for their work.

Noumena wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:36 am fwiw it is totally possible to ignore PA's relationship with UA. If you approach it that way the only thing that PA might do for you is give you a cheaper price, other than that it's nbd. IMO the full price is fair and I don't mind paying it: the code is good and the developers should get money for their work.
Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying the price for LION is fair? Do we know it yet? I thought we didn't.

I don't think we know the full price of Lion yet. The idea is that you can always buy UA plugins direct from their website; you don't have to go through PA. However, PA might have sales or vouchers that the UA website doesn't (although I sometimes see discounts there too).

I’m betting $349 with a $99 heavy hitter code minus vouchers.

graspee wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:01 pm
Noumena wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:36 am fwiw it is totally possible to ignore PA's relationship with UA. If you approach it that way the only thing that PA might do for you is give you a cheaper price, other than that it's nbd. IMO the full price is fair and I don't mind paying it: the code is good and the developers should get money for their work.
Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying the price for LION is fair? Do we know it yet? I thought we didn't.
You are right, it has not been announced. I was discussing how I think of UA and their pricing in the general context. I have paid full price or nearly full price for all their plugins so far and I consider the pricing to be fair for what I have got. I am frustrated that some of my favorite developers, such as UA and Bitwig, who are ,despite negativity and real hostility, doing some of the best work being done in the field and offering the results at what I consider to be very reasonable prices are continually attacked for their asking for the money they feel their work is worth. It is a bad turn in the industry and will result in good developers leaving this market to work elsewhere where they are able to make better money without the acrimony, such as eurorack and pedals (or Facebook.) We need to PAY THE DEVELOPERS. PA's nonsense is not helping, in my mind, with that, so I ignore them and try to consider my transactions to be directly with the people writing the code.

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:17 pm I’m betting $349 with a $99 heavy hitter code minus vouchers.
If I wore hats, I would eat mine if it's any different.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:18 am
masterhiggins wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:17 pm I’m betting $349 with a $99 heavy hitter code minus vouchers.
If I wore hats, I would eat mine if it's any different.
Or just wait a few months and pick it up for $30 like Triad, nothing depreciates faster than a PA Plug!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”