Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More hair than Dirk...

C1AA3240-4611-4231-8CA6-422A3E69C36B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

God, it's really lame how they handled it. They must be aware people have lots of alternatives available - PhasePlant, Massive X, heavily discounted VPS Avenger - and many of them will simply say "f**k it!" and go for something else than LION. At least NI had the decency to give the actual date of the release, even if what they released is far from complete...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 am God, it's really lame how they handled it. They must be aware people have lots of alternatives available - PhasePlant, Massive X, heavily discounted VPS Avenger - and many of them will simply say "f**k it!" and go for something else than LION. At least NI had the decency to give the actual date of the release, even if what they released is far from complete...
I think Lion won't do wavetables but will have advanced unison and many unique synthesis methods. So it seems to be little overlap with Massive X, rather they are going to complement each other pretty well. I also don't think there will be much overlap with Avenger or other "do-it-all" type synths, maybe in some functions but not so much in sound. The demos they have posted showed somehow more "analog-ish" character i think.

Also there still are people who buy synths because they like how they sound and need what they can do and don't care how the synths are marketed/advertised, how much discount they can get, etc.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Avenger is an amazing buy at the moment with 50% off (it was cheapo at the full price what you get) and has an amazingly active developer with constant useful free updates, I put it up there as one of the top synths with Falcon, Dune, Zebra etc...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 am God, it's really lame how they handled it. They must be aware people have lots of alternatives available - PhasePlant, Massive X, heavily discounted VPS Avenger - and many of them will simply say "f**k it!" and go for something else than LION. At least NI had the decency to give the actual date of the release, even if what they released is far from complete...
I'm precisely at the edge of saying "f**k it" and going instead for the PsychicMod stuff I've been looking at for some time now (and currently slighty cheaper than usual) if I see no more clear effort put into this. PA/UA should also bother to take time to cook some examples that actually show off what the synth is capable of as the stuff posted in PA's soundcloud is overall weak and quite generic save for a few interesting things :?

To be fair to Unfiltered Audio, they did say availability in August, and it's not August yet.

I agree that the sounds on SoundCloud are underwhelming. My interest in the synth is mostly because the Unfiltered Audio team always makes high-quality plugins. And I don't think it's fair to compare this to Massive X or Avenger -- Lion isn't a wavetable synth and it'll have a very different architecture.

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am Avenger is an amazing buy at the moment with 50% off (it was cheapo at the full price what you get) and has an amazingly active developer with constant useful free updates, I put it up there as one of the top synths with Falcon, Dune, Zebra etc...
Bit of a tangent but, I've never tried Dune - what makes you say it's in the same league with Zebra and Avenger? It's always seemed a little bit vanilla to me. Is it more than it seems? Looks like just a pretty good sounding VA/wavetable synth with some extra bells and whistles in the unison section

some of you seem to be arguing they release LION before it's done. is that the case or am i misreading your posts?

dayjob wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:06 pm some of you seem to be arguing they release LION before it's done. is that the case or am i misreading your posts?
On the contrary, I want them to finish BYOME first - the promised bug fixes and wide screen (or you spend half your life scrolling)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Razzia wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am Avenger is an amazing buy at the moment with 50% off (it was cheapo at the full price what you get) and has an amazingly active developer with constant useful free updates, I put it up there as one of the top synths with Falcon, Dune, Zebra etc...
Bit of a tangent but, I've never tried Dune - what makes you say it's in the same league with Zebra and Avenger? It's always seemed a little bit vanilla to me. Is it more than it seems? Looks like just a pretty good sounding VA/wavetable synth with some extra bells and whistles in the unison section
Dune 3 has some hidden complexity with filter routing and what have you, but ultimately it’s about the quality of the sound, well worth a demo and that unison engine is not to be the underestimated!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm
Dune 3 has some hidden complexity with filter routing and what have you, but ultimately it’s about the quality of the sound, well worth a demo and that unison engine is not to be the underestimated!
Fair enough, thanks. I will check it out sometime

dayjob wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:06 pm some of you seem to be arguing they release LION before it's done. is that the case or am i misreading your posts?
No, definitely not, I mean, in my personal case it is more of a "show us what it does" than anything else. I wouldn't mind waiting this long if we knew what we were in for but we don't for the most part (not counting in betatesters).

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm
I agree, but add that a big draw was the inclusion of new analog modeled filters (one based off the filter from Legend and a bunch of other great ones). This makes it sound very much like a hardware hybrid compared to a lot of synths which may sound great but have a more pure digital vibe. Massive X is also very good in this respect. Both do filter FM very well, which up until recently wasn’t something you got from wavetable software synths except from Zebra HZ (there are probably others, but not that I’m aware of). (Note: In Dune you have to enable high quality modulation or the filter FM sounds like crap)

I’ve never tried Avenger, but at that price with that spec sheet... wow. Maybe I should pick it up... except for the fact that I have so many damn synths as it is. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If they still have the 50% off price on Avenger then yeah, get it for sure. It has a few quirks (I don't 100% love the workflow) but it sounds REALLY good, which is what matters. It also has an underrated sample resynthesis mode (separate from the granular synthesis mode) that can yield wild results if you spend some time with it.

Return to “Instruments”