DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If you talking about the patches, Dune 3 comes with all the Dune 2 patches....

No,

I meant the last 2.x Version of D2.

Why though? Dune 3 has the same sound engine, same filters, same everything. It's even patch compatible.

Can´t explain. I don´t get the results with D3 i get with D2. Maybe it´s the GUI or the less options.
I better focus on it.

Ok. I remember there was an option to buy Dune 2 after Dune 3 was released. Not sure if it's still possible. I don't see any way on Synapse's website.

On the subject of Keytracking. From the manual:

Keytrack
The KTRK knob determines how much the cutoff frequency is affected by the MIDI key
number. Set to zero, all notes share the very same cutoff frequency as specified by the CUTOFF
parameter.

Nonzero values move the cutoff according to the key pressed, with higher keys corresponding
to higher cutoff frequencies. At low settings, this parameter is useful to create subtle timbre
variations when different notes are played.At higher settings, key tracking can be used to simulate
the properties of acoustic instruments that have a varying timbre dependent on the note played.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm On the subject of Keytracking. From the manual:

Keytrack
The KTRK knob determines how much the cutoff frequency is affected by the MIDI key
number. Set to zero, all notes share the very same cutoff frequency as specified by the CUTOFF
parameter.

Nonzero values move the cutoff according to the key pressed, with higher keys corresponding
to higher cutoff frequencies. At low settings, this parameter is useful to create subtle timbre
variations when different notes are played.At higher settings, key tracking can be used to simulate
the properties of acoustic instruments that have a varying timbre dependent on the note played.
Thanks, but I've read the manual. Even so, I'm not able to hear anything other than the cutoff being raised, as though it were simply an alternative cutoff knob. Granted, I haven't thoroughly tested very high and very low octaves — perhaps here is where it takes effect due to a higher than average pivot note.

In any case, in my initial testing it didn't have the rather easily discernable effect that keytracking has on the other synths I'm familiar with. If you have the time, maybe you could put together a simple patch which makes use of keytracking in a way that makes it easy to hear the intended effect it has on the sound – which I expect shouldn't simply be a case of opening the cutoff across the entire range of notes.
Last edited by Dim Vision on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mattvk19 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 pm Can´t explain. I don´t get the results with D3 i get with D2. Maybe it´s the GUI or the less options.
I better focus on it.
placebo

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:35 pm
Mattvk19 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 pm Can´t explain. I don´t get the results with D3 i get with D2. Maybe it´s the GUI or the less options.
I better focus on it.
placebo
Could instead be nocebo – if Mattvk19 approached D3 with a negative frame, e.g. "upgrade price too steep", reinforced by Availability cascade, i.e. repeating to himself, "I don't know, D2 just sounds better" and furthermore, by Confirmation bias as he attempts to discover "why D2 sounds better", unconsciously seeking out only the "evidence" that confirms his held belief. Finally, when forum users provide disconfirming evidence, his convictions are all but sealed by the Backfire effect and Belief revision, much to the chagrin of understandably weary forum-goers.

Come to think of it, one might even point to an underpinning Declinism, whereby Mattvk19 has a grim outlook and attitude toward change (the future), but looks back at D2 (the past) with rosy retrospection – and to further complicate matters, Mattvk19's ostensibly high, inexplicable regard for D2 in contrast to D3 might even suggest the presence of the Mere-exposure effect. He's simply used to using and hearing D2, but is unable to attribute his preference for it to mere familiarity, believing it to possess remarkable qualities that he can't quite put a finger on.

Our thoughts are with you Mattvk19. You'll come through. :hug:

I better focus on it.
Actually the only big difference in the GUI is the second filter, which is disabled in the default patch and which you can just ignore if you don't need it. Everything else is just some extra knobs in the osc section, extra arp2 knob and some extra points in the dropdown menu.

I think you can just e-mail Rich and ask him if he gives you D2 installer if you buy D3.

For me it was actually the new Dune3 filters and the new effects (saturation, phaser, chorus etc) that made me love and actually use Dune, Dune2 sounded somehow too digital and "software" to me which is efficiently fixed by the new AM filters and a sometimes a bit of saturation. Not sure if it's not placebo though, but I'm really happy with D3. :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Maybe it's not placebo. Do a null test with the same patch from D2 and D3. There could be under the hood changes.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

there isnt, a D2 patch sounds identical in D3

v1o wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm Maybe it's not placebo. Do a null test with the same patch from D2 and D3. There could be under the hood changes.
I think if there were some changes/improvements in the existing modules/algos Synapse would have said.

Actually when I load a D2 patch into D3 in some cases I still can hear that character I didn't like but now I can replace the filter, add some saturation and get rid of that. It's not that it's needed with every sound, some stuff already sounded cool in D2 and still does in D3, obviously, but when it's needed it's here.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 am
I better focus on it.
Actually the only big difference in the GUI is the second filter, which is disabled in the default patch and which you can just ignore if you don't need it. Everything else is just some extra knobs in the osc section, extra arp2 knob and some extra points in the dropdown menu.
You forget another big difference, Wavetable editor for D3.

Oberheim 8000 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:01 pm
recursive one wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 am
I better focus on it.
You forget another big difference, Wavetable editor for D3.
which doesn't affect the sound at all when loading D2 presets

Return to “Instruments”