What’s the best sample piano

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get a Baldwin so you don't sound like everyone else.

bigcat1969 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 am Get a Baldwin so you don't sound like everyone else.

https://www.wholesounds.com/1954-baldwin-parlor-grand
On sale at 45% off now, $44 instead of $80 normally.
Great grand.

I still like the original 4 NI akoustik piano pianos a great deal. Then piano in blue and cinepiano. Those and a bit of OTS rosewood grand are my goto “regularpianos”
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

A good piano depends on your personal preferences. Is it for solo work or is it as part of a group with a main focus of fitting well into a mix. For solo work we're still not there imo. I love Spectrasonics Keyscape as a whole but the acoustic pianos aren't convincing to these ears. Something is wrong and I can't quite place it. The many Youtube videos with Greg Phillinganes, Herbie Hancock etc playing it blew me away though, but those guys can make a toy piano sound like a Steinway :lol:
I don't really use pianos that much since I find they're lacking but when I do, I tend to for Alicia's Keys. A pretty good allrounder.

Why does it have to be "sampled"?

IMO, you have no advantage in using a sampled piano these days. The best ones are VERY expensive, demand tons of GB of hard-drive, tax a lot the CPU, and you still get inferior results, when compared with something like Pianoteq, which doesn't use samples AT ALL.

Pianoteq Stage costs only 129 euros, and comes already with two piano models.

And you have much more versatility to sculpt the sound of the piano, adapting it to your taste, or the specific sound you are looking for, if you have one of the more advanced versions (Standard or Pro).
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Instead of Wav samples, I will choose a virtual instrument, make a search for "Keyzone Classic" it's a free VST piano, very very good.
:phones: Music Loops - ProducerSpot.com

Laugh as you may but Cakewalks Dimension Pro. The pianos are only megabytes of samples yet sound great and sit in a mix.

My vote goes to TruePianos https://truepianos.com

For me the very best is the Ravenscroft 275 by VI Labs (pristine clear high frequencies and deep bass), and I've tried them all, even the unconvincing and uncanny Pianoteq. But like everybody said, a piano is a matter of tastes.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I found most piano libraries too perfect for my taste, so my long time favourites were from Imperfect Samples, for instance the Fazioli. Too bad that the libraries are so old and no longer working correctly in current versions of Kontakt. :-( :roll:

So ATM, NI Noire is my Nr. 1, since it not only sounds rich and gorgeous, but also comes with a ton of interesting sound shaping capabilities.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

For some quirky, unique and free pianos:
https://www.pianobook.co.uk/

I’m a big fan of the orange tree samples rosewood.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

The best sample piano is the one that works for you the best !

Plain and simple...

God knows that there's a heap of them to choose from :wink:
No auto tune...

Keyscape sounds really realistic and it “feels” more responsive than most libraries I’ve used. Haven’t heard/played any other piano libraries that I prefer over it.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”