VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SteveWZ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 pm
walltone wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm
SteveWZ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 am A Sonsig 224 Hall on a bazantar:

https://soundcloud.com/synth-presets-co ... nsig-rev-a
Bought both Sonsig and your presets. I wish there were better names (detailed or more abstract/inspiring - “vocal 1”,”vocal12” are not doing it for me, though I hear some really great programming behind). Or am I asking a lot here?
Thanks for picking up the presets.

Fair feedback, I tend to switch between styles of preset naming.
Some seem to prefer the categorical approach for simplicity while others more individual names.
I can see the advantage of both.

The thinking here was that "Pro Studio Spaces" for is setup as a kind of tool kit for Sonsig Rev-A.
Thats why we went with the quick scroll method.

For the next one we will take your approach.
Thanks again for the good feedback.
Not specific to Sonsig, but as long as we're talking about your preset naming convention (based on Acon Verberate presets I've bought from you): having a leading zero for single-digits would preserve the alphanumeric sort order I believe you intended. On my setup (Mac/Ableton) your presets are ordered 1, 11, 12, 13...2, 22, 23, etc... - Instead of 01, 02, 03...09, 10, 11, 12...Again this may be unique to specific soundsets.

Back OT - I go on and off the Relab subscription as needed, looking forward to checking out Sonsig sometime!

I tried to demo it but didn't have luck, FL studio says it has an error and can't load, and in Reaper won't even show up! win 10 pro 64bit.

Edit: Got it working on Cubase
Last edited by Thavma on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
Aiynzahev wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:21 pm This reverb is exactly what I've been waiting for. Bought it, I can honestly stop looking around now.
Sami, how does it work on synth? I expect some modulation of the reverb tail, so not some kind of "invisible" reverb.
It's excellent on synth, very dense, thick tail. You definitely know it's there. Then with just enough options to modulate, make it large or small and filtering. It's really intuitive.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Not specific to Sonsig, but as long as we're talking about your preset naming convention (based on Acon Verberate presets I've bought from you): having a leading zero for single-digits would preserve the alphanumeric sort order I believe you intended. On my setup (Mac/Ableton) your presets are ordered 1, 11, 12, 13...2, 22, 23, etc... - Instead of 01, 02, 03...09, 10, 11, 12...Again this may be unique to specific soundsets.

Back OT - I go on and off the Relab subscription as needed, looking forward to checking out Sonsig sometime!
On my PC those are showing as intended.

This is something your DAW controls by your settings.
You have the choice how your DAW orders number and letters.

On a PC:

Open the folder or library that you want to sort in the File Explorer.

Go to View on the top and expand the View ribbon by double clicking on it. Click Sort by, and then select Name, then click Ascending.

On a Mac:

Clicking the Name field at the top of the list view. An upward-pointing arrow following Name indicates sorting alphabetically with numbers first, then A to Z; click again to swap to downwards, and it’s sorted Z to A, then reverse numeric order

Select the menu item View > Arrange By > Name.

Click the Arrange By/Sort By icon in the Finder window toolbar (if that icon is displayed) and choose Name.

Hope that helps.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj1UC3I ... e=youtu.be

This video demonstrates the 224, Rev-A, QRS, Modulation, and lots of different sizes and spaces.

If your still on the fence, you really should demo and try out this reverb.

I'm still not sure if I need "Sonsig" :shrug: My trial is over and after my tests with Valhalla in a finished mix, I'm even more unsure ;)
There are also hardly any reviews, apart from 1-2 useful videos on Youtube. It seems to me that many people tend to ignore the reverb or don't find it interesting enough compared to the reverbs they already own?

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 pm I demoed it, and after doing similar comparisons as you with Vintage Verb I decided the difference is so small the purchase would be pure GAS and I can't justify the expense. The soft iLok is also something I prefer to avoid.
Maybe a lot of people think the same? Even on Gearslutz it's pretty quiet... there's a thread that has just 8 pages and doesn't seem to get much attention. I haven't found a single review, there are 3 videos on Youtube that are reasonably useful. One of them in russian and 2 from the same producer/channel.
After Exponential Audio, Eventide, Acon, Valhalla, Lexicon, 2CAudio etc. it's apparently very hard to get much attention with a new reverb.

Think I would have grabbed Sonsig as a character verb...if I hadn't recently picked up Comet.

My opinion of it hasn't really changed:

1. Great GUI
2. Easy to program
3. Sounds great

Sonsig is definitely a character reverb. When I compare it to Valhalla VintageVerb (VVV), my thoughts are that VVV is way more diverse sounding, works better at ambience and small rooms (I don't love Sonsig there - but I also usually prefer LX480 for ambience) but Sonsig really shines at 2+ seconds with lots of modulation. I love Sonsig for big halls and washes though. Can you get in the ballpark with VVV? Oh yeah, very much so. If you're not sure if you need Sonsig, you're answer probably is that you don't. But I'm super glad I have it.

+1

tried NOT to buy it lol... but dang it is good. as was stated really does small and medium especially well imo. for $90 i am quite happy with it. lovely tails and movements

p.s. thank goodness i like purple lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:52 am +1

tried NOT to buy it lol... but dang it is good. as was stated really does small and medium especially well imo. for $90 i am quite happy with it. lovely tails and movements

p.s. thank goodness i like purple lol
It grows on you like some kind of soft moss.....
Hey, dint Bowie and Eno use a 224 on Moss Garden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4YO4RJjm8E

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm When I compare it to Valhalla VintageVerb (VVV), my thoughts are that VVV is way more diverse sounding, works better at ambience and small rooms (I don't love Sonsig there - but I also usually prefer LX480 for ambience) but Sonsig really shines at 2+ seconds with lots of modulation. I love Sonsig for big halls and washes though. Can you get in the ballpark with VVV? Oh yeah, very much so. If you're not sure if you need Sonsig, you're answer probably is that you don't. But I'm super glad I have it.
I actually like how Sonsig performs as very short reverb for blending into real rooms.

Bought it and so far I'm glad I did. Almost any setting sounds compelling (but not necessarily appropriate for a context) and melds with a source beautifully. It's quicker to dial in than almost any other reverb, I used.
I wish all numbers on the UI were clickable, some already are; that would make it even quicker.

meloco_go wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:47 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm When I compare it to Valhalla VintageVerb (VVV), my thoughts are that VVV is way more diverse sounding, works better at ambience and small rooms (I don't love Sonsig there - but I also usually prefer LX480 for ambience) but Sonsig really shines at 2+ seconds with lots of modulation. I love Sonsig for big halls and washes though. Can you get in the ballpark with VVV? Oh yeah, very much so. If you're not sure if you need Sonsig, you're answer probably is that you don't. But I'm super glad I have it.
I actually like how Sonsig performs as very short reverb for blending into real rooms.
I tried small sizes with short-ish decays (0.6 and 1.2s) on acoustic drums and it just didn't do it for me. But my go-to for that is the LX480 Ambience settings. I really love that plugin+algorithm in that particular application. So both Relab verbs. It's funny, because LX480 does nothing for me on longer, modulated halls, whereas that's where I love Sonsig.

Note: I don't claim to be good at programming reverbs so your mileage may vary of course.

Return to “Effects”