Which reverb and how to use it properly?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vahalla Reverbs are some of the best in the software realm for quality v price entry, maybe you need to learn how to use them properly .Have you tried EQ ,compression and even gates after your reverb to control your sound.Also Fabfilter Pro Q R .You can't go wrong there .Also if you have a convolution reverb.Use a reverbed copy of the sound you want to put reverb on as the convolution file.Take the original reverb off the sound and then use the convolution reverb on it.Have fun and yes its hard as we are spoilt for choice.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

The new Relab Sonsig Rev-A is an excellent reverb for the money.

I love the Eventide SP2016. It’s my bread and butter reverb.

Quickly forgotten is the Waves Abbey Roads chambers plugin I picked up for $29. Beautiful.

I’m also using Valhalla Delay for reverbs.

the IK Multimedia CSR reverbs are in my view very good. the plate works wonderful on vocals, for instance. strange that they aren't mentioned a lot, in fora.
the Native Instruments RC 24 & RC 48 are used a lot.

waves abbey roads chambers, already mentioned, and the abbey reverb plates, are also special.

the NOS audio roomer, not that known i think, has a great sound, small price at jrrshop, many algorithms.

i have more reverbs, all great, cherry picked.., i shall not mention them all, but especially the IKM ones do not the credit they could have.

o yes audiority Xenoverb, nice...

and for convulition reverb the waves IR 1 is great, get it when in a sale, get at $23 or so.. you can change reverb time, and early reflections, like a algorithmic reverb, to an extend.

AudioAlien wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 am The new Relab Sonsig Rev-A is an excellent reverb for the money.
+1

at the entry price anyway. It's simple to use and difficult to make it sound bad.

I really like Breeze 2, light on CPU, simple serial registration and sounds fantastic.

Comet vs Sonsig?

andymcbain wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 pm
AudioAlien wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 am The new Relab Sonsig Rev-A is an excellent reverb for the money.
+1

at the entry price anyway. It's simple to use and difficult to make it sound bad.
+1
It’s such a beautiful sounding reverb.

I got it as what the OP wanted is big sounds. And so I still recommend using a harmonizer. Eventually in conjunction with a reverb.

Slates verbsuite bricasti m7 ir’s are pretty great! As well the rest of verbsuite classics. Quite like waves abbey reverbs too as others have mentioned.

Id like to try the relab but its ilok and ive never used anything with one and it just seem a huge pain in the @ss

tried comet and was decent but still liking pro-r the most i think
sfd wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 pm I got it as what the OP wanted is big sounds. And so I still recommend using a harmonizer. Eventually in conjunction with a reverb.
Never heard of a harmonizer but just had a quick search, seems interesting. Any recommendations?

@Sk1nZ No, not really. They all do their job. Harmonizers are very good in makign sounds more fat. You probably already got one in your DAW. Start with that.

Nomad Factory got one for sale at jrr atm. They also have their 80s spaces reverb for only $29 at jrr. Ordinary price is something over 100 bucks.

A well known classic harmonizer is of course the Eventide H910 (used quite a bit by Bowie / Visconti). But it's quite expensive.

My tip for a really fat and big sound is that you use a harmonizer in conjunction with a compressor and a reverb. But be a little careful with the reverb.

dont think ableton has anything like that, could be wrong though

How are people applying reverb on there tracks? All channels completely dry and then just use one reverb on a return in varying amounts? Some reverb on channels and a return? Ive always done a bit of both but looking to improve and i think it makes more sense to have one reverb for everything but confused on how best to do it.

And still not sure how you would use one reverb and sidechain everything without putting a bunch of sidechain compressors on the one reverb return track

Do decay times stay the same for all the sounds that are hitting the reverb at that given moment? would it be weird if say a synth has a longer decay time than a vocal which is playing at the same time?

I'm not sure if I got what result you're trying to achieve.

But generally it's a good idea to be a little careful with the use of reverb.

View it this way:

Would you really want to put the kick in a grand hall, the snare in a garage and the vocals in a bath tube ?

And then on the mix bus put it all in a stairway ?

That would sound a bit odd I think :-)

When I apply reverb I, primarily, want a certain sound to have a bit of air. In other words, making it sound less flat.

If you want a huge soudning bass by using a reverb. It's always a good idea to think how that is balanced against the other tracks.

One way to balance tracks, reverb wise, is to place different instruments at dierent distance. But it's not an easy task. Well, not to me at least.

alien vs realism.

one good tip for a realistic style of application, you don't want to be able to hear the reverb, but you want to notice when its switched off.
try adding what would be a huge reverb to a channel, the kind that would drown out the track if you have the wet too high.
then bring the wet down to 5%/10% and slowly down from there till you can barely notice it.

for the alien stuff, do what thou wilt :band:
set the controls for the heart of the sun!!!!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”