Analog synth to go with Hive 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I visited a store today and tested the Bass Station II and the Roland SE-02. The salesman tried to steer me towards a Moog Sub Phatty or the Sub 37.

All sounded good to me, but I chose the SE-02. The tiny size struck me, even though I was prepared for it, but I was comfortable operating it and happy with the sound.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sounds like a great choice, I'm sure you'll love it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 am Sounds like a great choice, I'm sure you'll love it.
I also purchased a MIDI Fighter Twister to bring more hands on control to Hive 2 and other software devices.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Thanks again.

why you not will add to your Hive 2 - Repro 1 :) ?
it can sounds very warm and analog, just listen what ive done on it, using only one synth : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neppDyl3BVE all the sounds come from Repro 1, i used only Repro's pitching and etc, nothing else :) After Repro 1, i think most of other analog hardwares can be go in history, in my opinion.
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Unless you want to play two notes at once.

RePro 1 is definitely an awesome synth and I use it a lot more than RePro 5 but it won't cut it in every situation. e.g. String chords. I like some of the sounds on your demo, especially the stuff that starts just after the 5:00 minute mark, very nice.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dim Vision wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm I intend on using u-He Hive 2 as my main soft synth, but I would like to purchase my first analog synth to use alongside it – partly to get the analog character, but also to have fun programming more hands-on.

I want something that has good sounding oscillators and filter, is quite versatile without being overly complex, useful for bass and leads, and for it to fit comfortably on my desk.

I've been tossing up between a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and a Novation Bass Station II. I can't say which is more versatile, but the Dreadbox is better looking (I love the look) and smaller. The Bass Station isn't desktop, but it will fit fairly comfortably on my desk – it's just not a particularly attractive unit, but the sound demos impress me and the recent updates are encouraging. The Roland SE-02 has also crossed my mind, mainly due to the compact size.

The other option I've considered would be to spend more and get a Novation Peak, but I wonder if it may overlap a bit with the capability and sound of Hive 2, and perhaps I'd be better off getting a mono synth – something that may be better for bass and leads. It's also a tad bigger than I'd really like at 464mm, but it should be okay.

I'm interested to know others thoughts on my synth candidates, or to take new recommendations. I wouldn't want anything bigger than the Peak and my max budget would be around the cost of the Peak.

Thanks.
Puh, thats a tough question to answer because of many reasons. You didn´t state what HIVE 2 means to you and how you approach the use of synths in general. I am doing a HIVE2 one-synth-production right now and when it´s finished probably no one - who didn´t knew - would get an idea about that the audio output is solely generated by HIVE. I mean you can do soooooo many endlessly different things with each and every synth avaiable if you lay down cliched thinking about those instruments and if you walk your own way beside trendy styly-geili roads.
Beside softsynths I got many hardware synth and from all (concerning the not pure analog ones) I love the Waldorf BLOFELD (can do more synthesis-wise than HIVE) the most cause it´s so damn versatily and all that in a small and beautifully looking desktop case. Maybe that little beast could be a perfect addition for your HIVE2 set-up? But than you would have 2 VAs in your arsenal :) Have joy and be sound

NatLife wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm why you not will add to your Hive 2 - Repro 1 :) ?
it can sounds very warm and analog, just listen what ive done on it, using only one synth : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neppDyl3BVE all the sounds come from Repro 1, i used only Repro's pitching and etc, nothing else :) After Repro 1, i think most of other analog hardwares can be go in history, in my opinion.
I actually purchased it just the other day from another user on this forum. :)

Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:54 pm
NatLife wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm why you not will add to your Hive 2 - Repro 1 :) ?
wow, thnk you :) is it some re-seller "user"?) i just uploaded it on ADSR store, and it also selling on mine, still not uploaded it for other stores yet :)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

NatLife wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 pm
Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:54 pm
wow, thnk you :) is it some re-seller "user"?) i just uploaded it on ADSR store, and it also selling on mine, still not uploaded it for other stores yet :)
I think he bought RePro, not your pack ...

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am Unless you want to play two notes at once.
why would you do that?
this ain't jazz.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:25 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am Unless you want to play two notes at once.
why would you do that?
this ain't jazz.
:clap: :hihi: :tu:

Dim Vision wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm I intend on using u-He Hive 2 as my main soft synth, but I would like to purchase my first analog synth to use alongside it – partly to get the analog character, but also to have fun programming more hands-on.

I want something that has good sounding oscillators and filter, is quite versatile without being overly complex, useful for bass and leads, and for it to fit comfortably on my desk.

I've been tossing up between a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and a Novation Bass Station II. I can't say which is more versatile, but the Dreadbox is better looking (I love the look) and smaller. The Bass Station isn't desktop, but it will fit fairly comfortably on my desk – it's just not a particularly attractive unit, but the sound demos impress me and the recent updates are encouraging. The Roland SE-02 has also crossed my mind, mainly due to the compact size.

The other option I've considered would be to spend more and get a Novation Peak, but I wonder if it may overlap a bit with the capability and sound of Hive 2, and perhaps I'd be better off getting a mono synth – something that may be better for bass and leads. It's also a tad bigger than I'd really like at 464mm, but it should be okay.

I'm interested to know others thoughts on my synth candidates, or to take new recommendations. I wouldn't want anything bigger than the Peak and my max budget would be around the cost of the Peak.

Thanks.
I would not really go for the Peak, though it’s a good synth. It just doesn’t have an analog vibe to it... I sold a Bass Station 2 to make room for it and I miss the Bass Station 2, though I enjoy the Peak for what it is. It’s a very good hybrid synth, but not what I’d go to for an “analog” sound. You’d do better with RePro or Legend. So, I went for a Peak, but I have analog covered.

Of the synths you listed, I’d say it’s really a crap shoot. I could easily make an argument for each one, but the ones that are going to get you a little further from software is probably going to be the Dreadbox. To me, that one really has a kind of “vintage” vibe to it, but I don’t really know if that’s what you’re really going for. Next would be the Roland, then the Bass Station 2, though that one has a ton of features and a great sound as well.

The analog monos that I settled on are the ATC-X QFS, which is amazing but not really a fun “knobby” interface. It’s also a rack unit, but it has a Moog, SEM, 303 and ARP filter on board. Very versatile. For my hands on fun, I picked the Dominion 1, which you could probably get for your budget. It’ll probably be at the top end. It’s feature packed, sounds amazing and really has a unique sound. It’s one issue is that it’s pretty huge for an analog mono.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hardware:
How about a WALDORF Pulse2?
Or Arturia MiniBrute
How about Beringer Model D

All relatively cheap and awesome sounding.

Those receiving GC coupons likely have a 20% discount coupon
in your email, good til til July 24th, and IK Multimedia is not on the exempt list,
so a UNO analog synth would be $160, and a good teammate for Hive,
speaking from experience.
Cheers

You know he already bought an SE02, right? A month ago. It's in the top post on this page.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”