So I bought Trueno synth.. And here's the review!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bharris22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am
bharris22 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:54 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am
bharris22 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:16 am Will do :).
Got yours? :hyper:
Not yet :(. I ordered it at the same time as I ordered the Cubase Pro 10 crossgrade, so it may be a couple of weeks.
? :hyper:
Sorry :(. I have it in my hands, but life/work has intervened and I haven't really had time to play around with it. I am going on a business trip next week though (5 hour flight to California), so that might be a good time to give it a spin.
Definitely. Ask if you need any help :tu:

Will do - thanks, DH!

Actually, since you mention it, can you explain a little more how you use TX16Wx in conjunction with Trueno? What steps does this help you skip?

bharris22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:38 pm TX16Wx in conjunction with Trueno? What steps does this help you skip?
I toss it after Trueno. Mostly polyphonic stuff OR if I want to capture the sound but keep using midi (so that I don't have to drag it from stash folder on Trueno track and open sound preset, re record stuff etc).
Since Trueno is monophonic, I quickly sample a pad sound from 3 to 5 octaves and so I have poly pads.

nachenko wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:02 pmI can't see the prices you're quoting here (100$). The cheapest I found was 100 GBP at Gear4Music. Thomann doesn't have it in catalog, and Amazon price is 160€. Where did you get it?
It seems weird but if you change the currency at gear4music, it's cheaper in USD. For me it works out Au$25 less and I'd be surprised if PayPal would care which currency I buy in.

Holy cow! I just listened to a couple of demos from YouTube - one going through the patches and another guy playing around with it - and it sounds great! Like amazingly lush and rich. I was thinking how awesome it would be to have a USB hub full of them for live work, pity that wouldn't work out. Still, I'm definitely going to get one after hearing it, as soon as I sell my old laptop. Thanks for posting about it, DH.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 am Thanks for posting about it, DH.
Actually, the first time I played with it I immediately thought that you might like it :D

So is the filter a Polivoks model?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 am So is the filter a Polivoks model?
Trueno’s filter is based on a soviet Russian design known for its unmatched harsh, aggressive sound

http://truenosynth.com/about/

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:34 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm Looks like a fascinating little synth. Is it like a Virus TI where the sound plays through the plugin (if so, how is the latency?), or is there actually no way to hear what you're playing until you record a .wav and then drag it into the DAW like some reviewers described?
You can ofc hear what you're doing :) Either automate parameters or play live and record the output in realtime, just like with any hw synth. Only difference between vst and Trueno is that you need to record the audio instead of just saving. Though with the latest beta build you can also save presets so it's even closer to vst's.
Cool! The Sound on Sound review made it seem like you have to record the output as a .Wav file and then import it into your DAW, at least with some DAWs.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ws ... ueno#para3

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 am Cool! The Sound on Sound review made it seem like you have to record the output as a .Wav file and then import it into your DAW, at least with some DAWs.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ws ... ueno#para3
That's one way to do it. Make your sequence and automations, hit record from Trueno and play from your daw and the wav goes to your record folder.

But in Bitwig I tend to make an audio track, set Trueno as an input and record the audio directly.

Or sample for example pluck sound to Tx16wx so that I can play plucky chords.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 am
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 am So is the filter a Polivoks model?
Trueno’s filter is based on a soviet Russian design known for its unmatched harsh, aggressive sound

http://truenosynth.com/about/
Yes that's what led me to pose the question

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 am
bharris22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:38 pm TX16Wx in conjunction with Trueno? What steps does this help you skip?
I toss it after Trueno. Mostly polyphonic stuff OR if I want to capture the sound but keep using midi (so that I don't have to drag it from stash folder on Trueno track and open sound preset, re record stuff etc).
Since Trueno is monophonic, I quickly sample a pad sound from 3 to 5 octaves and so I have poly pads.
Great - thanks!

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 amSo is the filter a Polivoks model?
That's the consensus, yes. Is it important?

Anyway, I've had a bit of fun reading a few reviews. Some people get it, others seem to have very strange priorities. As usual, Sound On Sound does the best job, having no problem assessing it on it's merits.

So, after I got home and re-listened to the demos on my studio monitors I decided to grab one. Doing so explained why there is a price difference - no VAT on foreign orders.

Listening to the preset demo, it reminds me so much of all the great synths I remember playing with in the 80s. Some I owned, many I just got to mess about with in music shops, but it's got that awesome vibe to it that went away in the late 80s when synths like the D50 and M1 became uber-popular. I don't know why but nothing I've heard in the last 20 years has had the same effect on me. Until I listened to those demos this afternoon, I hadn't realised that anything was missing. It just blew me away. A good example is the second preset in the demo below. It's a pretty common analogue type sound but it's got a certain grittiness to it I haven't heard in RePro or Diva or DUNE or anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBZi-A_dAU

I love the synth strings patch, too. The resonance in the filter is just sublime. I've listened to this whole thing 5 or 6 times in a row now. The organ patch right at the end is another one, it's got balls you just don't here in anything else. It might just be whoever made the patches but, whatever it is, it's got me hook, line and sinker.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bloody hell! My Trueno shipped from York, oop nort, last night and DHL reckon it will be delivered half-way around the world on Friday. That's German efficiency for you. I got my new laptop yesterday and the USB port on the right side of the chassis is all on it's own, so Trueno won't be covering another port. Very excited!

Wow. $117.17 shipped arriving Friday. Can’t believe this isn’t getting more hype.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 am I was thinking how awesome it would be to have a USB hub full of them for live work, pity that wouldn't work out. Still, I'm definitely going to get one after hearing it, as soon as I sell my old laptop. Thanks for posting about it, DH.
Why couldn’t we plug a few of them into a hub?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”