SpaceCraft Granular Synth available now on desktop (Win/Mac VST2/VST3/AU)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The price difference is unacceptable. I would have bought both in a heartbeat if the desktop was more fairly priced. $30-$50 for the desktop version seems reasonable, $100 absolutely isn't - especially when there are much more powerful granular synths available for that price or less. Shame.

skyscape wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:55 am The price difference is unacceptable. I would have bought both in a heartbeat if the desktop was more fairly priced. $30-$50 for the desktop version seems reasonable, $100 absolutely isn't - especially when there are much more powerful granular synths available for that price or less. Shame.
It does seem overpriced, $49 would be more realistic.

Interesting granular synth (I don’t use the app so this is new for me) The Explorer Main performance window is quite fun to use to scrub into the samples at various amplitude & speed, especially when recording those gestures.

Sound wise, it sounds good and is on par with some other granular synths like Quanta or Mangle, although I find it very CPU heavy when using higher number of grains. At 128 grains, it put my solid iMac literally on its knees, to my surprise. The other grain synths I have are are not like this one. Not good.

I own a bunch of granular synths so I'll need to carefully think about it and test more and more. Still not sure with I really need it; espacially at this price.

@ deltavaudio: Any plan to add random LFO's in an update? I find it quite limited and crippling to only have 3 types of LFO's with no random one, it can sound easily robotic and repetitive.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:51 am @ deltavaudio: Any plan to add random LFO's in an update? I find it quite limited and crippling to only have 3 LFO's with no random one, it can sound easily robotic and repetitive.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, additional LFO options is on my list for future updates. Your suggestion is noted, and I agree that a random option would be the most interesting to add :)

Will wait for a sale -- $99 is too much.

emasters wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:23 pm Will wait for a sale -- $99 is too much.
I’ve learnt never to buy new products from Tracktion, as they seem to be half price a month later. The product looks interesting.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 pm
fortycoats wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 pm This is something very special :clap:
How is it special compared to the competition?
I don't know any other granular synth that will do lush pads as well as glitchy mayhem that also functions as a real-time effect with MPE support onboard. Both engines can be set up differently with regard to tempo sync and other stuff which makes this feel like 2 instruments.

I'm a little behind the times as I have been using iOS heavily for a while now so if you could give me a few names I will be happy to compare with this one.

fortycoats wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 pm
fortycoats wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 pm This is something very special :clap:
How is it special compared to the competition?
I don't know any other granular synth that will do lush pads as well as glitchty mayhem that also functions as a real-time effect with MPE support onboard. I'm a little behind the times as I have been using iOS heavily for a while now so if you could give me a few names I will be happy to compare with this one.
Padshop Pro, Quanta, Granulizer 2, The Mangle, Granite & Crusher-X (this is really expensive but very good) to name a few.
I like the sound of the pads but I can do that with the others.

Wow, I didn't realise how much granular stuff is available! You replied very quickly so I did some speed reading/viewing. Apologies if there's mistakes in my takes on the list you posted.

Crusher-X does all the above and sounds very similar to the results I get from spacecraft, it's almost 3 times the price though!

The Mangle seems to have inspired the grain movement animation that spacecraft uses. It's very cheap but more limited in comparison and apparently the dev is awol since 2015?

I didn't like the clicks and pops I heard in padshop pro videos, the interface is crowded to my eyes! I prefer not to have menus and it seems to have very few grains, is it 8 total?

Granite sounds and looks good but it has 16 grains, no real time sampling and is the same price.

Granulizer 2 also sounds good but you are essentially getting 2 of these with spacecraft, also no live sampling and the interface is a bit generic compared to spacecrafts weird and wonderful control panel. It's not much cheaper at €80.

Quanta I will have to buy after a quick browse and I am now lusting after Omnisphere 2 again.

I have been operating spacecraft for a while on iPad, new to the vst but I like it on the big screen and the sound is superb. My modest windows pc is fine even with lots of grains going. I do miss the multi-touch but will still be picking this up after my demo expires. I think it should have cost at least €15-20 on iOS but it's tough to get sales as a one man band.

deltavaudio wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 am
Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:51 am @ deltavaudio: Any plan to add random LFO's in an update? I find it quite limited and crippling to only have 3 LFO's with no random one, it can sound easily robotic and repetitive.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, additional LFO options is on my list for future updates. Your suggestion is noted, and I agree that a random option would be the most interesting to add :)
Nice to hear! Thanks for the reply and info. A random lfo :pray: = :hug:

Honestly, I don’t understand the complaints about the price. It’s near or equal to many other desktop granular synths out there. Here’s a quick list of similar grain contenders:
Padshop Pro $80
Dust $99
Granite $99
Quanta $99

The only option that is really cheaper is Mangle at £19.99, which is not supported anymore and mostly abandoned, support is also nonexistent. Still buggy too. So take your pick.

I don’t work with IOS apps, only full fledge software in a studio on a computer so SpaceCraft was not an option for me so I’m really happy to see it ported as a desktop DAW plugin. I think its price is totally justified, the interface is unique and very fun to use, for me it’s one of the best among the other granular synths out there. I'm still demo'ing and I’m very surprised by the quality of the granular engine too, it sounds really good and rich.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortycoats wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:12 am Crusher-X does all the above and sounds very similar to the results I get from spacecraft, it's almost 3 times the price though!
I don't see similarity between this synth and Crusher X. I have only demo-ed Crusher X, but it sounded quite different in m y limited uses of it. Also, it functions as an effect. It is damn expensive, yikes.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

The price is a problem because the ios app costs a fraction of the desktop one and does essentially the same thing. Had this just been released for desktop only no one would have batted an eyelid at the $99 price. I understand they are different markets but there doesn't have to be such a huge gap. Make the ios app more expensive and the desktop one cheaper to even it out and I'll buy both. As it stands at the moment, I'm not going to buy either because that price difference is taking the piss.

skyscape wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:48 am The price is a problem because the ios app costs a fraction of the desktop one and does essentially the same thing. Had this just been released for desktop only no one would have batted an eyelid at the $99 price. I understand they are different markets but there doesn't have to be such a huge gap. Make the ios app more expensive and the desktop one cheaper to even it out and I'll buy both. As it stands at the moment, I'm not going to buy either because that price difference is taking the piss.
Audio Damage took pretty much the same approach, with Quanta: $13,99 IOS - $99 Desktop. I guess you didn't get that one neither for the same reason...

Return to “Instruments”