Korg Collection (V2.0 released, GUI update!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection Special Box Presets For Korg M1 Legacy V2

Hey all,

The Korg collection is currently on sale and I'm wondering if it is still worth it. I'm also interested in the Arturia V collection but I'm waiting for Black Friday with that one. I'm mostly making pop/rock, but I use synths quite a lot so I wonder if I should get both or if one is simply better than the other :phones:

Looking for input, thanks :wink:
Last edited by Vleker on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's still worth it, unless you have a HiDPI display, then maybe think about it, because UIs are gonna be tiny (or blurry, if rescaled).

They are not that small.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 pm They are not that small.
I cant think of any modern VSTs that are so small. I cant read the text on most of them. Even the most recent one (KARP) is too small imho.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 pm
I cant think of any modern VSTs that are so small. I cant read the text on most of them. Even the most recent one (KARP) is too small imho.
I have'nt really used KC in a long time so you might be right. I have to check for myself.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

They are pretty small on even my not hi dpi monitor. At the moment they are usable but anything smaller would not be. Especially Wavestation and MDE-X.
No signature here!

They're hard to read (but not impossible) on a 15" MacBook Pro.

Korg really needs to do some work on the UIs. The plugins themselves are really good though.

I have it. The GUI is definitely small on my 30" regular monitor. It makes them hard to use. But they sound pretty good. I've owned many of the original hardware and I think the collection is a good ITB substitute. I have to zoom in to use them however. :party:

robotmonkey wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:20 pm
They are pretty small on even my not hi dpi monitor. At the moment they are usable but anything smaller would not be. Especially Wavestation and MDE-X.
Yes you are right. They are indeed small.

They sound great. I don't use MDE-X (largely because of the graphics issue), but have little trouble with the PolySix and MS-20: I generally know the layout of the knobs on the originals, and if you hover your mouse over any one of them, a popup reveals what they are--the popups are a ton more legible. Additionally, if you click on the Edit button, you get a slightly better (larger) view (provided you don't need the keyboard visible).

Regardless, Korg promised updated interfaces back in 2016 on a press release, so either they have too few folks on their end available to work on it, or the source code was far more in need of updates than they expected. I'd rather they'd have said nothing and not gotten our hopes up.

Thankfully, they're all 64-bit now.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote:Thankfully, they're all 64-bit now.
I don't think all of the standalone applications are 64-bit, but all of the plugins are.

I'm gonna voice a somewhat less enthusiastic opinion than some here: most of these plugins are over a decade old, and graphics issues aside, they do show their age sonically (at least the strictly analog emulations PolySix and MS-20). They don't sound _bad_, but I never really even think about using them anymore.

The Odyssey emulation however has a top-notch sound.
A well-behaved signature.

I use the WS and M1, and they are pretty small on my 1080 monitor, but I can read them clearly.

However, one thing I absolutely detest is an oversized, huge gui, for example, Dexed.

I think I'm the only person on earth who likes the small gui thing :D
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 pm I use the WS and M1, and they are pretty small on my 1080 monitor
1080 is not a very high resolution by today's standards though, so it's probably nearer to what they were originally designed for.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Watchful wrote:Thankfully, they're all 64-bit now.
I don't think all of the standalone applications are 64-bit, but all of the plugins are.
Exact. All the standalone applications (the .exe) of the Korg Collection are 32-bit, not 64-bit.

I have just checked with the excellent (and free) tool Winitor PeStudio.

Only Odyssey is 64-bit (and exclusively 64-bit).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”