Recommend a "visual" synth to help teach DSP concepts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i built a very simple example in SE at the weekend, but had to use analysers after osc, and then after filter) instead of scopes, as they didnt really work...

VCV Rack is standalone, and this example shows 3 scopes patched into a simple configuration using only the basic factory modules.

Scope number 1 is patched into the VCO with a square wave output. Scope number 2 is patched into the VCF low pass filter. Scope number 3 is patched into the MIXER for the final audio output signal. This example is probably oversimplified and uses only one ADSR module, but demonstrates the use of scopes at multiple patch points.

Windows 10 and too many plugins

AnalogGuy1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm The idea to buy a modular kit and just attach a hardware scope and spectrum analyzer is interesting, but I'm looking for something fast to setup and take down; there's not much time between classes.
As I was first to suggest VCV rack, I should make it clear that VCV rack is FREE software, cross-platform, has a scalable GUI (great for presentations) and you can simply save your wanted setup (including as many scopes/analyzers as you want/need without costing anything) for quick recall.

The (free) BOGaudio modules contain several spectrum analyzers.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:11 pm
AnalogGuy1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm The idea to buy a modular kit and just attach a hardware scope and spectrum analyzer is interesting, but I'm looking for something fast to setup and take down; there's not much time between classes.
As I was first to suggest VCV rack, I should make it clear that VCV rack is FREE software, cross-platform, has a scalable GUI (great for presentations) and you can simply save your wanted setup (including as many scopes/analyzers as you want/need without costing anything) for quick recall.

The (free) BOGaudio modules contain several spectrum analyzers.
Ahh...excellent! I'll take a look at it and the BOGaudio modules. Thanks. The scalable GUI would be very useful for those relatively low-res projectors. I use Massive in my band, and it is becoming almost unusable.

As I was first to suggest VCV rack
Nobody suggested that you were not. We are all just trying to help out here. :D

I was merely adding a simple VCV Rack example WITH patches showing. If you right click on my image above and choose "View Image", you will be taken to a full size image at Imgur.

That example should make it easy for a first timer to get it patched up and running with a minimal configuration in a few minutes.

And yes the BOGaudio modules are also free. The spectrum analyzer is nice!

And while you are at it, don't miss the free Surge Synth modules! The Surge OSC (VA) and Surge WTOSC (wavetable) give you some interesting sound shaping control. Plus the Surge Biquad filter offers more filter types (including bandpass and notch) than the basic VCF (only LPF & HPF). :tu:

The more that I look at the VCV Rack, the more I'm sold that this is a great solution - I can quickly create my own demo that cuts down the complexity to just the items I want, has the spectrogram and time-domain scopes, and is free. I'm not particularly cost-sensitive, but I am reliability-on-different-machines sensitive, and not having to worry about copy protection is a big plus. And if a few students are inspired to do more on their own, or become keyboard players, all the better. Thanks everyone!

Just in case anyone else needs something similar, VCV Rack is standalone (no host needed), has a scalable GUI (under View menu), and has no copy protection so installs without admin privileges. Use BOGaudio for a spectrum analyzer and JW-Module for a large time-domain scope.

zzz00m wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm
As I was first to suggest VCV rack
Nobody suggested that you were not. We are all just trying to help out here. :D
I didn't mean that I specifically was first, but that it was literally the first suggestion made :D

Everyone else chipping in with additional information is a good (great) thing in my perspective :tu:
AnalogGuy1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:12 pm Just in case anyone else needs something similar, VCV Rack is standalone (no host needed), has a scalable GUI (under View menu), and has no copy protection so installs without admin privileges. Use BOGaudio for a spectrum analyzer and JW-Module for a large time-domain scope.
Great that we could help you out. It's (for me) the most important function of a forum like this :phones:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

And I was the second one .

:clap:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

AnalogGuy1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 am I've seen a number of scopes that show pictures of one cycle of the oscillator, but it isn't as common to shows the filter response, especially not one that shows the cutoff modulated in real-time.

I know I could achieve much of the same effects by hosting any typical VST and attaching oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer VSTS to the signal chain, but I'd prefer the simplicity of all this on one VST screen if possible since the resolution of an LCD projector is pretty bad compared to modern day laptop screen resolutions.
I'd still recommend using a really good engineer's scope/analyser rather than try to find a synth that encompasses it. Reason being, such synths are usually tailored towards musicians not engineers or dsp programmers.

My personal favorite is "RS-met Signal Analyzer". I just can't recommend this thing enough. so simple and so accurate. gives you what you want immediately, almost no tweaking required. I'm a dsp programmer my self and I use it every day, all the time.
Last edited by S0lo on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm
AnalogGuy1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 am I've seen a number of scopes that show pictures of one cycle of the oscillator, but it isn't as common to shows the filter response, especially not one that shows the cutoff modulated in real-time.

I know I could achieve much of the same effects by hosting any typical VST and attaching oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer VSTS to the signal chain, but I'd prefer the simplicity of all this on one VST screen if possible since the resolution of an LCD projector is pretty bad compared to modern day laptop screen resolutions.
I'd still recommend using a really good engineer's scope/analyser rather that try to find a synth that encompasses it. Reason being, such synths are usually tailored towards musicians not engineers or dsp programmers.

My personal favorite is "RS-met Signal Analyzer". I just can't recommend this thing enough. so simple and so accurate. gives you what you want immediately, almost no tweaking required. I'm a dsp programmer my self and I use it every day, all the time.
Good advice !

It is here:
RS-MET - Freebies

There is also these three freebies from Voxengo:
SPAN - FFT Spectrum Analyzer
AnSpec - Analog Spectrum Analyzer
Multi-Band Correlometer
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 pm

And I was the second one .

:clap:
Yep, great minds think alike and all that :clown:

BlackWinny wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 pm
S0lo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm

I'd still recommend using a really good engineer's scope/analyser rather that try to find a synth that encompasses it. Reason being, such synths are usually tailored towards musicians not engineers or dsp programmers.

Good advice !

It is here:
RS-MET - Freebies
Hey, thanks for reminding me to check that RS-MET link! That was always my favorite signal analyzer, but unfortunately was only a 32-bit plugin. Was always hoping he would update it!

So I decided to check out out his new "Toolchain" plugin, where he has decided to maintain all of his current projects within this one plugin. It supports 64-bit, and is an all in one plugin shell that includes "MultiAnalyzer". This is an updated 64-bit version of the classic "RS-met Signal Analyzer".

Yes. And with some residual bugs fixed. But I can't remember which they were, now a good while after this port to 64-bit.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”