PC software to generate lists of installed VSTs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know of software that can scan specified folder(s) on PC and generate a (text?) file with list of installed VSTs? Last time I was moving to a new computer I just made a screenshot of my folder and that worked pretty fine, but definitely it's not an optimal approach.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Just look in your Vstplugins folder? Two folders... Vst2 and Vst3. :)..

cnt wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:09 am Just look in your Vstplugins folder? Two folders... Vst2 and Vst3. :)..
Well, I'm ahead of you - I keep everything in one folder, with sub-folders for vendors.

BUT, I want to exchange a list of VSTs I have with person I'm about to collaborate with (so that we could avoid bouncing stuff to audio, at least initially), so "looking in my folder" isn't really helpful, is it? :)
Music tech enthusiast

CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Search for .dll and print screen?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:41 am Search for .dll and print screen?
Both good ideas! Thanks :)
Music tech enthusiast

Code: Select all

dir /s *.dll >%USERPROFILE%\documents\dll_files.txt
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

CCleaner

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am

This. No software needed. :tu:

There'll be a ton of .dlls that are nothing to do with plugins. I hope they're easy to differentiate. My laptop has 94,971 .dll files on the C: drive.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 am There'll be a ton of .dlls that are nothing to do with plugins. I hope they're easy to differentiate. My laptop has 94,971 .dll files on the C: drive.
Don't VST plugin files end with a .VST extension? That's how they're named in macOS.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am

Yep, this is the option I always use for these kinds of tasks.

But to get a more clean list, I use "dir /n/b".

Another but. Don't expect this to work on Waves Audio plugins :)
Last edited by starflakeprj on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

jabe wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 am There'll be a ton of .dlls that are nothing to do with plugins. I hope they're easy to differentiate. My laptop has 94,971 .dll files on the C: drive.
On the C: drive, yes, but in most cases you have all your plugins in one folder (or two if you have VST3) with a couple of sub folders.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Tronam wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:32 am
Don't VST plugin files end with a .VST extension? That's how they're named in macOS.
No, on real computers they’re .dll :ud:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 am
Tronam wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:32 am
No, on real computers they’re .dll :ud:
Don't forget that vst 3.x have a .vst3 extension.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”