mango nights (electronic/pop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I'd love some feedback on my track (instrument selection, melody, mixing etc.). If you have something you want me to give feedback on, please put a link in your comment.

https://soundcloud.com/parallelloners/mango-nights

Thanks for reading!

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 6
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6

Comments: Synth at the intro needs major EQ work. Very muddy. Overall mix is on the dull side as well. Drums sound like tapping on Tupperware. Mix needs an enormous amount of work as it's pretty much dead. Curious. Are there any EQs, compressors or any FX on this track at all? Sounds like stock instruments with no processing. On the plus side, some of the stereo separation is nice like the vocal sample. Musically, doesn't do much for me. Song kind of just lays there.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 pm My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 6
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6

Comments: Synth at the intro needs major EQ work. Very muddy. Overall mix is on the dull side as well. Drums sound like tapping on Tupperware. Mix needs an enormous amount of work as it's pretty much dead. Curious. Are there any EQs, compressors or any FX on this track at all? Sounds like stock instruments with no processing. On the plus side, some of the stereo separation is nice like the vocal sample. Musically, doesn't do much for me. Song kind of just lays there.
It’s possible I was listening to it for too long and couldn’t hear some of the problems. I have a lot of FX in it (if you mean transitions and stuff); maybe you can point out where it’s missing? I did use EQ where I thought it was needed, but I only had some compression on the master track. I appreciate the advice, it’s nice to get some perspective!

parallel loners wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Music - 6
Instruments - 6
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6

It’s possible I was listening to it for too long and couldn’t hear some of the problems. I have a lot of FX in it (if you mean transitions and stuff); maybe you can point out where it’s missing? I did use EQ where I thought it was needed, but I only had some compression on the master track. I appreciate the advice, it’s nice to get some perspective!
Here's my advice. Do what I did because it's the only way you're going to get better.

Learn how to mix from a professional.

And no, you don't have to pay for the privilege. There are some amazing Youtube channels with a million dollars worth of music production instruction.

Here's my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarrenHuartRecording

He works in the industry. He has worked with some of the biggest names in the industry. He walks the walk and has a ton of major commercial success behind him. My productions have improved 100% since watching some of his tutorials. He will go through a whole song from beginning to end, processing each track and explaining why he does what he does.

Trust me. If you really put in the effort to learn this, you WILL improve greatly.

Its a pleasant enough track, with a retro feel. Here are some comments.
0:41 guitar nice but too quiet in the mix.
You've got a pretty good "call and response" going on which is interesting.
The track is crying out for a lead synth melody or a vocal.
It sounds like a backing track, so you need a melody of some sort.
2:02, a drum fill sounds like its building to an energy change, then just goes nowhere.
2:50->3:38 there's not much happening different there, thats almost a minute where nothing of note happens. Needs an injection of interest.
Chnage the drum line sometimes. E.g. have a few bars where its just the kick by itself, have a few bars where the kick is taken out and you just have snare+hats etc etc. There are plenty of ways to add interest and variation to keep people engaged.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 pm
parallel loners wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Music - 6
Instruments - 6
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6

Here's my advice. Do what I did because it's the only way you're going to get better.

Learn how to mix from a professional.

And no, you don't have to pay for the privilege. There are some amazing Youtube channels with a million dollars worth of music production instruction.

Here's my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarrenHuartRecording

He works in the industry. He has worked with some of the biggest names in the industry. He walks the walk and has a ton of major commercial success behind him. My productions have improved 100% since watching some of his tutorials. He will go through a whole song from beginning to end, processing each track and explaining why he does what he does.

Trust me. If you really put in the effort to learn this, you WILL improve greatly.
Thanks a ton! Excited to start learning, they look great and I was looking for some more in-depth tutorials.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm Its a pleasant enough track, with a retro feel. Here are some comments.
0:41 guitar nice but too quiet in the mix.
You've got a pretty good "call and response" going on which is interesting.
The track is crying out for a lead synth melody or a vocal.
2:02, a drum fill sounds like its building to an energy change, then just goes nowhere.
2:50->3:38 there's not much happening different there, thats almost a minute where nothing of note happens. Needs an injection of interest.
Chnage the drum line sometimes. E.g. have a few bars where its just the kick by itself, have a few bars where the kick is taken out and you just have snare+hats etc etc. There are plenty of ways to add interest and variation to keep people engaged.
Really good in-depth advice, thank you! Yeah, the outro might have been too repetitive, you’re definitely right. I’ll consider the drums too, it could use switching up. I have a question about the drum fill at 2:02. You’re right that it doesn’t lead to something different, but the reason I felt it was needed was to add some variety. Do you know of some better way I can bring that in (since drum fills signal change)? I basically used it for want of better ideas. Not sure if my question makes sense.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm The track is crying out for a lead synth melody or a vocal.
+1 I agree with Bansaw. The track is pleasant and has some unique touches but it sounds like a backing track to me. If you could add a topline melody, I think it would be much more engaging.

Frantz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:10 am
Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm The track is crying out for a lead synth melody or a vocal.
+1 I agree with Bansaw. The track is pleasant and has some unique touches but it sounds like a backing track to me. If you could add a topline melody, I think it would be much more engaging.
Thanks for the advice! I initially wanted vocals but I can’t find acapellas to use. As for the melody, do you think it’s needed throughout or at a specific part that sounds more empty than the others?

Sorry for asking so much, it’s just that I do this in my apartment and I have no one to ask during the producing/mixing itself. It’s hard when you don’t have a second pair of ears. When you listen so long to a track, you kind of get used to it and don’t notice major problems in it.

parallel loners wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 am Sorry for asking so much, it’s just that I do this in my apartment and I have no one to ask during the producing/mixing itself. It’s hard when you don’t have a second pair of ears. When you listen so long to a track, you kind of get used to it and don’t notice major problems in it.
The melody should be there at the appropriate times.
It should not be "constantly" there all the time, it needs to be digested by the listener. So have a few bars of melody, then a couple of bars rest etc.
The melody should be repeated to give the listener a sense of familiarity, but you could tweak the melody often to stop it getting boring. E.g. Have two or three bars of melody, then rest two bars, then repeat the same melody (and change a note or two in that melody to make it interesting.)
Also do call and response where you play a top synth melody, and then have the bass answer the melody. etc. Look up call and response on YTube.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 am
parallel loners wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 am Sorry for asking so much, it’s just that I do this in my apartment and I have no one to ask during the producing/mixing itself. It’s hard when you don’t have a second pair of ears. When you listen so long to a track, you kind of get used to it and don’t notice major problems in it.
The melody should be there at the appropriate times.
It should not be "constantly" there all the time, it needs to be digested by the listener. So have a few bars of melody, then a couple of bars rest etc.
The melody should be repeated to give the listener a sense of familiarity, but you could tweak the melody often to stop it getting boring. E.g. Have two or three bars of melody, then rest two bars, then repeat the same melody (and change a note or two in that melody to make it interesting.)
Also do call and response where you play a top synth melody, and then have the bass answer the melody. etc. Look up call and response on YTube.
Great advice!

Return to “Music Cafe”