Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

mitchiemasha wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:58 pm
Armadillo wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 am I'm rather tempted to buy the 5 x expansions for $140 at Sweetwater :hyper:
Cheers for the heads up. Thats 10 pack bought...

Going to buy Philter XL. Thinking about the Multiband Compresor, just to try out those dance presets people rave on about. Don't really need another but it's tempting.
I will probably grab a 5 pack, maybe even two of them.

Man, that's annoying. I bought three XPs in the sale. For the price of one more I could've had one for free.

Oh well. I'm more than happy with my purchases. I'm making all kinds of weird stuff with the samples that came in the granular XP

LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 am So, now it's on a big sale, might be worth getting, few things i'm wondering.

a) So how CPU intensive is it ?
I tried the demo, since the current deal is very tempting. CPU: i7-9700k, GPU: RTX 2060 MSI, RAM: 16 Gb, Disc: Samsung M.2 NVMe.

With 20 instances of Avenger, each running a complex sounding pad with lots of voices and movement (10 notes for each track), my CPU hit around 40-45 %. The GPU hit around 25-30 % (no matter if I used 1 or 20 instances of Avenger).

Maybe an RTX 2060 is a bit overkill, but with a 3 year old lightweight GPU I could barely run the plugin before it crashed. It´s definitely worth having a relatively modern GPU, just to be on the safe side. With Avenger, the CPU is rarely the bottleneck.

LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 am b) No one has mentioned AVX so I assume its not another Massive X
This “avx in 2019” thing always cracks me up. Avx was introduced with Sandy Bridge, 8 years ago. If your CPU doesnt have avx, it is way underpowered for today’s audio requirements.

NI made a very good decision requiring avx: the syhth is very cpu friendly on any decent cpu and simply does not run on very old cpus (and avoid the frustration of running it improperly).

On the other side, yes you could run a couple of Avenger instances on a non avx cpu but the frustration of using so heavy synths on so underpowered cpus is humongous. Same with graphics in Avenger: you need a fully capable gaming GPU although in theory it “works” on any video card (but is barely useable on many video cards).

Demo first, is mandatory.

Armadillo wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 am Congrats on the 10 year anniversary.

I'm rather tempted to buy the 5 x expansions for $140 at Sweetwater :hyper:

What's everyone's favourite expansions?
Thinking of getting EDM fx, Cinematic 2, Synthwave.. Not sure about the other two.
Thanks for the heads up I'm in the UK so wouldn't have heard of sweetwater. Only bought the synth a month ago, I already had had 4 exps, bought 3 yesterday, and now another 5, i think I'm sold on this synth!

The Amospherica is a really nice exp, just wish they were playable pads as opposed to musica atomspheres, but its still excellent. Really impressed with the recent szabo T Invasion exp. Hardstyle is a lot of fun.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Avenger activation: one keyfile can be used to activate more than one offline machine, or each machine must have its own keyfile?

sircuit wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 am b) No one has mentioned AVX so I assume its not another Massive X
This “avx in 2019” thing always cracks me up. Avx was introduced with Sandy Bridge, 8 years ago. If your CPU doesnt have avx, it is way underpowered for today’s audio requirements.

NI made a very good decision requiring avx: the syhth is very cpu friendly on any decent cpu and simply does not run on very old cpus (and avoid the frustration of running it improperly).

On the other side, yes you could run a couple of Avenger instances on a non avx cpu but the frustration of using so heavy synths on so underpowered cpus is humongous. Same with graphics in Avenger: you need a fully capable gaming GPU although in theory it “works” on any video card (but is barely useable on many video cards).

Demo first, is mandatory.
This is where you are wrong, as I can run multiple instances of Avenger with no real issues, with different patches , some FX laden, seems fine to me, very well optimized plugin imo, and not AVX reliant like Massive X, which will not run on the CPU I have, so your underpowered CPU theory is BS.

A CPU with mulitple cores at a decent speed seems to cope fine with a lot of plugins, and you can run a decent amount of things in a single project instance in C10 pro for example. Some reverbs kill things, but hasnt that always been the way ?

I call BS on the whole AVX thing with massive X, I reckon if they optimized the code it would run fine on a non AVX system, but they didn't write it that way, so we will never know.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 am
1. Some reverbs kill things, but hasnt that always been the way ?

2. I call BS on the whole AVX thing with massive X, I reckon if they optimized the code it would run fine on a non AVX system, but they didn't write it that way, so we will never know.
1. Always? no, not really with the newer cpus. And with a new cpu you can (almost) finish a 50+ tracks project without freezing or bouncing VIs either.

2. Voxengo is adding avx code on each plugin update they release (an it makes quite a difference in how many oversampled instances my cpu can run).
Then Uvi, Melda Productions, 2C reverbs, Synapse audio - they are all written with flavours of avx suport (1,2,512). None of these companies are lazy.

So as I said, yes you can still work with older multicore cpu’s but in 2019 this is far from optimal. Can’t really blame the coders for not optimizing their software for hardware a decade old.

I bought Avenger at the Sale today. What does it look like when I buy new hardware? I would like to assemble a new PC next spring. Do I need a new keyfile?

how can i delete an expansion? it is greyed out when i right click it and want to delete... thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:13 pm how can i delete an expansion? it is greyed out when i right click it and want to delete... thx
Mac or windows? In windows the default directory is programdata/vengeance/vps avenger/expansions i believe. You can probably just right click it or any other expansion then click open in file explorer, then go up a level in the folder structure and delete the expansion

Sidenote, I have to admit, at first it galled me a little to spend so much on preset packs, but they really are excellent. The arp patterns, samples and shapes/tables alone are enough fodder for months and months of new and exciting sound design ideas.

I'd probably never use one in my own projects but i have to admit the sequences are really cool. To hold down a note and have a single synth basically play a whole song while using 10% cpu is kinda nuts

windows
thx but it should work in avenger itself doesnt it? @manuel?

DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yeah thats weird. Did you install it through vman or import it from the system tab? I had some odd behavior at first with installing through the system tab and i had to download a new keyfile to fix it

Razzia wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:23 pm Yeah thats weird. Did you install it through vman or import it from the system tab? I had some odd behavior at first with installing through the system tab and i had to download a new keyfile to fix it
thx, i imported via the system tab and you always have to download a new keyfile if you activated new xps :)

Great sale - I have been waiting to get this synth for a while so jumped on this. One thing for people to watch out for though is that the shopping cart is tricky. If you add the synth it then gives you expansians at 5% off but if you select those you cannot then apply the 50% discount so you need to go back and add the expansions seperately to get 50%. Also if you apply the coupon once and then add another expansion you cannot then apply the 50% to the newly added expansion it only applies to what was in there to start with. Bottom line: add everything via the normal website to the cart before applying the 50%

Return to “Instruments”