Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve only found one decent Linnstrument demo video, and it wasn’t that great. All of them seem to be plagued by awkward modulation that’s probably exasperated by the small pads. But if you like that sort of thing, good for you. The Continuum, OTOH, looks awesome, but too rich for my blood.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:05 am How would that work? How do you transmit all the expressive possibilities via CV+Gate? I look at a Linnstrument and I have no idea how it works. It looks to me like it would make sense to a guitarist but it makes none at all to me. I've never seen a Continuum, and I could certainly never justify the price of it, so I'll take you at your word on it. But I love my Seaboard, especially my new Block (sold the Rise last week) and the Lightpad Block that came with it.
Linnstrument works pretty much the same as the pightpad block when it's in melodic/scale mode, with a bunch of other features like a low row that can strum or act as a cc/ modwheel etc.

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pmYou can mix samples with VA/wavetable oscillators (no scanning though) or FM very easily. So it can give instant results.
I sure could use some wavetable scanning in Equator.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

himalaya wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 pm Both. Equator uses the SFZ file format.

So it was always possible to use your own samples but with one caveat: you need to make an SFZ file, and so as long as you can write some opcodes in a text editor, then you can use your own samples.

For those who would rather not want to write opcodes, there are various tools on the market which allow to create SFZ files or convert from one formant to SFZ.

See Mildon SFZ to create an SFZ file with your samples:
http://mildon.me/sfzdesigner

Or use a converter like the Chicken System Translator to convert from other supported formats.

Then simply put the samples and the SFZ text file (all in the same folder) in the Equator user samples folder. That's it.
I know this is an old, old post, but with something like Chicken System Translator, how well does it work to turn a Kontakt library into a usable instrument in Equator for use with the Rise?

Just got my Rise 49 a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a ton of fun with it but I'd love a better way of playing Kontakt instruments than the setup for each instrument necessary to use it with the Rise.

I would assume that it ignores the scripting involved in a lot of libraries (guitar and bass libraries, in particular).

Or am I aiming for a pie in the sky and misunderstanding all of this?
Blue Phase Music

That’s sorta where I’m at right now... I’m trying to find the best way to use Roli Seaboard Blocks (x2 Songmaker kits) with Kontakt. I’ve only had these since Wednesday.

elxsound wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm That’s sorta where I’m at right now... I’m trying to find the best way to use Roli Seaboard Blocks (x2 Songmaker kits) with Kontakt. I’ve only had these since Wednesday.
You've seen this page, right?

https://rolisupport.freshdesk.com/suppo ... akt-blocks
Blue Phase Music

BassMasterK wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm That sounds like a frustrating experience Mats. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. As a lifelong piano player who dabbled in guitar, I was always jealous of the guitars ability to bend notes and do vibrato in a natural sounding way. Yes, most synths have a pitch bend but it never felt or sounded really natural imho. I bought a ROLI a year or so ago and it just changed everything. I no longer am jealous about anything a guitar can do. The ROLI does it all and more. I actually told my wife that I am thrilled to be alive at a time where this innovation to a keyboard(ish) instrument was possible. It has held up perfectly so far. I have Strobe and Cypher but Equator has become my go to synth to use with it. I love that soft synth. Best of luck with the Haken, I wasn't familiar with it and will have to look it up.
As with the legato playing, I would think they could not have solved that easier on the Haken though. As I am as good on keyboard as bass and guitars, I very well know the gnarls. I e the hammer on legato thing on a guitar string in the note shaping of things, is very different from a pull-off. And neither a Roli nor Haaken would be able to second-guess what you are actually doing, or thinking of doing. A saxophone players legato may not just be "devoid" of "re-blowing" into the mouthpiece. There's a slight difference in the beginning of each note whether you press on the "key" on the saxophone, or lift it off. Such nitpicking may not be of importance to others, but as I have heard many Indian and Arabic "flute" impersonations on both Roli and Haken, I hear it immediately. BTW Roli is way more handy as an instrument, The Haken may be a tad too unwieldy and cumbersome, due to the included synthesizer engine resides UNDER the keyboard.

I've looked elsewhere as of know. Stick with regular keyboard MIDI controllers. I takes a small amount of saving money each month so in a year or 2 I might be able to make a plunge on Haken. Maybe.

The Linnstrument to me seems like drawing from the same legacy as an accordeon, but with touch and vibrato sensitivity thrown in. What is a libalility and shortcoming of mainly all keyboard designed instrument is that you have to play a chord within the span of your own hand and hands. Say a C major chord. A symphonic orchestra can let the very very low bass fundamental C be played by certain people on double bass, the middle E some octaves up, and then the high C at the far right end of a grand piano. With Linnstrument and so on, like an accordeon, you have the octave ranges within the split of your hand, and if that ain't enough you use your left hand. On a piano, grand piano you have to use pedals in order to let sustain ringing for those note you can't reach unpedalled.

As I saw the demo on YT within those three instruments by Thomann. Linnstrument seemed my least favorite. Formerly the Haken didn't send MPE but now it does. It's the Egan synth engine that makes Haken worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ92w-XECyc

Blue Phase Music wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:21 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm That’s sorta where I’m at right now... I’m trying to find the best way to use Roli Seaboard Blocks (x2 Songmaker kits) with Kontakt. I’ve only had these since Wednesday.

Yes, but likewise I want a better way

BTW all this with BlueTooth over MIDI. Is there any product at all out there on the market (whatever MIDI keyboard or controller) that actually it works on?

Hey, even on my Mac when wireless Keyboard and Mouse residing at a coffe table...all of a sudden when I am typing away on my Macbook Pro, a dialog box shows up "connection lost", and then 5 minutes later - maybe - it shows up again with another "connection found" and it works again. Haven't touched it, or rocked the table the slightest. Those USB dongles that comes with certain mouses and keyboards are more stable in my opinion.

elxsound wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Start pestering NI about adding MPE support on their forums. I was pretty amazed when their “flagship and groundbreaking” Massive X didn’t have it. (Serum does!)

I’d say that if NI partnered with Roli, it would be a great thing for us and MPE as a standard. Put MPE in all their Komplete synths and do an offer where if you buy Komplete, you get a discount on a Rise/Blocks, or if you buy a Roli instrument, you get a discount on Komplete.

One of MPE’s “issues” is that there are too many kids who think the penultimate controller is something like an MPC (Maschine) or TR. Why f with manual methods of expression when you can just draw them in on your DAW? You need to make some hot demo videos, like those of Tim Exile, with someone using Maschine X and a Rise 49/Blocks setup. Reaktor Blocks meets Roli Blocks. Roli has some work do to as well, for instance, making a way for pressure sensitivity curves to happen at the controller app level and not inside the instrument plugin. (A big problem, IMO)
Zerocrossing Media

Mats Eriksson wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:21 pm BTW all this with BlueTooth over MIDI. Is there any product at all out there on the market (whatever MIDI keyboard or controller) that actually it works on?

Hey, even on my Mac when wireless Keyboard and Mouse residing at a coffe table...all of a sudden when I am typing away on my Macbook Pro, a dialog box shows up "connection lost", and then 5 minutes later - maybe - it shows up again with another "connection found" and it works again. Haven't touched it, or rocked the table the slightest. Those USB dongles that comes with certain mouses and keyboards are more stable in my opinion.
Not all wireless implementations are created equal. My new Bose Bluetooth headphones will randomly lose connection with each other and a channel will momentarily drop, yet I used to have a pair of cheap-o Motorola headphones ($30) that didn’t have that issue at all. (Though they were connected and the Bose are two separate units) Apple EarPods are also very good, though they don’t fit in my ears.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:29 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Start pestering NI about adding MPE support on their forums. I was pretty amazed when their “flagship and groundbreaking” Massive X didn’t have it. (Serum does!)
I definitely will start. Before using an MPE capable device I honestly didn’t understand what all the fuss was about, but now that I have it, I understand how much easier it should be for playing “expressively” without needing to trigger key switches.

I do expect MPE to be more widely adopted “soon” though.

As I've said many times before, I don't care about MPE at all, I just want the 5D touch experience and you can get that with pretty much anything, straight out of the box. I still haven't seen more than one convincing use-case for MPE and that single use-case is just as easily accomplished with two instances of a plugin and a keyboard split.
elxsound wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pmYes, but likewise I want a better way
But that's the way you set up any kind of modulation in any instrument I can think of, even Equator. The only difference is that you have to clone the modules in Kontakt. An extra step or two is hardly a deal-breaker when you can save the patch and recall it instantly whenever you need it again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:05 am How would that work? How do you transmit all the expressive possibilities via CV+Gate? I look at a Linnstrument and I have no idea how it works. It looks to me like it would make sense to a guitarist but it makes none at all to me. I've never seen a Continuum, and I could certainly never justify the price of it, so I'll take you at your word on it. But I love my Seaboard, especially my new Block (sold the Rise last week) and the Lightpad Block that came with it.
You can get a breakout box for the Continuum which gives you sixteen analog outputs, usually allocated as four voices of gate and CV. The real advantage here is that there is no MIDI conversion at any point in the process... the internal processor puts out multiple DAC CV streams at a very high data rate.

LinnStrument is a different story, since it only gives you MIDI output. Your best bet there is connecting it to an Expert Sleepers FH-2 module.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”