No More Excuses...Please Help A Wannabe Songwriter

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pm LOL, I've never seen so many posts I can't see in my life. Interesting that all these people who I don't speak to want to "help" me.

If somebody I'm speaking to happened to read something someone else said that is actually a good idea, could you quote it so I can read it too? LOL.

Sorry, this is REALLY funny.
Mostly casting-couch suggestions, I think. GHB might help there - M-cat is also good if you want to lose your inhibitions - along with other things.

Whilst I'm certain Marilyn Monroe had plenty of offers, I'm not sure the same is going to work out so well if you default to selling yourself that way.

The producer working on one of your songs sounds promising. That's the kind of thing you need to get going with as many people as possible. You've got a large back-catalogue and can write songs fast so just keep working at it. I do think that finding vocal talent on YouTube and then writing a song just for them before contacting would be a great way to introduce yourself. Compliments and presents are great ice-breakers.
I'd love to write songs for people for them to sing. I just don't know how to go about doing it. How do I even know who is looking for songs? I could contact a hundred people before I find one who's interested.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pmsounds very big and clever, congratulations.
Sounds very patronising and lacking a sense of humour.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm The producer working on one of your songs sounds promising. That's the kind of thing you need to get going with as many people as possible. You've got a large back-catalogue and can write songs fast so just keep working at it. I do think that finding vocal talent on YouTube and then writing a song just for them before contacting would be a great way to introduce yourself. Compliments and presents are great ice-breakers.
this!
focus on a realistic level of success (top 100 is not going to come overnight)
do odd small bits with many people, spread yourself out.
:tu:

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm No, Wag's! What is really funny is that being on your ignore/foe list means we get to talk at you and talk about you while being spared the nonsense of actually having to interact with you.
sounds very big and clever, congratulations.
Neither big nor clever. Just a statement of fact :shrug:

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:00 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm The producer working on one of your songs sounds promising. That's the kind of thing you need to get going with as many people as possible. You've got a large back-catalogue and can write songs fast so just keep working at it. I do think that finding vocal talent on YouTube and then writing a song just for them before contacting would be a great way to introduce yourself. Compliments and presents are great ice-breakers.
this!
I wouldn't exactly call 42 years of trying overnight.

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:00 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pmsounds very big and clever, congratulations.
Sounds very patronising and lacking a sense of humour.
Sounds very predicated on confirmation bias.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:04 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:00 pm
this!
I wouldn't exactly call 42 years of trying overnight.
well, were starting day one with these ideas!
the past is done, doesn't matter, what can you do today? tomorrow?

theres loads of great musicians on youtube, people who enjoy performing.
have a look for someone who sounds like you could imagine them doing your song.
get in touch, be courteous and yes, it may take a few doors being knocked (metaphorically speaking) but the more effort you put in the more likely it will happen.

and most of all, be positive!

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 pm and most of all, be positive!
Well, I'm trying but easier said than done when you started at age 20 and are now looking at Medicare in a few years.

Absolutely.

And, as an aside. I've had a lot of fun joking with people on this forum. Taking everyone off ignore would be a great start to getting that spirit of communication going. You'll face a lot of rejection on your way to becoming a professional song writer. The difference between successful people and those who aren't is that successful people have failed many more times.

Obviously you're not going to want to work with people who wind you up but you'll need to reach outside of your comfort zone if you want to make changes.

What's more. I think these guys would actually respect you a little if you took them off ignore. I know I can't speak for them but I just have a feeling. It won't mean they'll stop pointing out if they find something funny - that's difficult for some of us to do - but all change starts with the Self. It's a magickal process.

Like vurt said above, it's about this moment, right now. Gather that energy. There's no energy in the past.

and invite collaboration, online or in the studio “zone.” Keith Richards, Bjork, Kanye, or Lizzo, all leave space for others ideas. Sometimes a single suggestion makes a song. Look at the long list of writing credits on many hit songs!
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:24 pm
Absolutely.

And, as an aside. I've had a lot of fun joking with people on this forum. Taking everyone off ignore would be a great start to getting that spirit of communication going. You'll face a lot of rejection on your way to becoming a professional song writer. The difference between successful people and those who aren't is that successful people have failed many more times.

Obviously you're not going to want to work with people who wind you up but you'll need to reach outside of your comfort zone if you want to make changes.

What's more. I think these guys would actually respect you a little if you took them off ignore. I know I can't speak for them but I just have a feeling. It won't mean they'll stop pointing out if they find something funny - that's difficult for some of us to do - but all change starts with the Self. It's a magickal process.

Like vurt said above, it's about this moment, right now. Gather that energy. There's no energy in the past.
You'll notice that I've been here since 2014. I didn't start to use the ignore feature until a couple of weeks ago. It got to the point where certain people here have nothing nice to say to me ever. Those people I have no desire to listen to anymore of what they have to say. It's for my own sanity and peace of mind.

As for my music, I can take constructive criticism. I was told Vocaloid was making my music unlistenable so I stopped using it and began singing again. I was told my mixing skills were horrible so I studied hard and, while I'm no professional mixer, I've improved a lot.

So I have no trouble taking constructive criticism. It's when people are just flat out nasty without offering anything of any value that I finally drew the line. Trust me, the people on my ignore list are there for a very good reason.

Though I have to say, of late, Michael L has been somewhat helpful, especially when he helped encourage me to do a rap song. But then he never did comment on it. You can read his reason why at the thread itself. Point is, I'm not his favorite person here and he has no problem reminding me of that. So I'd rather not be reminded anymore. I think we're both happier staying out of each other's way. Same for the other people on my ignore list. I think we're all a lot happier around this place.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:42 pmThough I have to say, of late, Michael L has been somewhat helpful, especially when he helped encourage me to do a rap song. But then he never did comment on it. You can read his reason why at the thread itself.
Yes, go in your Corner and read it... but you can’t because I’m on your foe list...so I don’t comment for the same reason... and then you wonder why. Catch-22.
But I’ve learned to like being on your foe list (mostly because it’s funny)
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:42 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:24 pm
Absolutely.

You'll notice that I've been here since 2014. I didn't start to use the ignore feature until a couple of weeks ago. It got to the point where certain people here have nothing nice to say to me ever. Those people I have no desire to listen to anymore of what they have to say. It's for my own sanity and peace of mind.

As for my music, I can take constructive criticism. I was told Vocaloid was making my music unlistenable so I stopped using it and began singing again. I was told my mixing skills were horrible so I studied hard and, while I'm no professional mixer, I've improved a lot.

So I have no trouble taking constructive criticism. It's when people are just flat out nasty without offering anything of any value that I finally drew the line. Trust me, the people on my ignore list are there for a very good reason.

Though I have to say, of late, Michael L has been somewhat helpful, especially when he helped encourage me to do a rap song. But then he never did comment on it. You can read his reason why at the thread itself. Point is, I'm not his favorite person here and he has no problem reminding me of that. So I'd rather not be reminded anymore. I think we're both happier staying out of each other's way. Same for the other people on my ignore list. I think we're all a lot happier around this place.
I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise. I totally get that not everyone is going to be constructive - though I've always been cool with that on a personal level. Perception might come into play here but I don't know all the details and it's not really my business. I just thought it might be a simple thing that you can do which will lead to further changes but if you see nothing positive coming from it then that's fair enough.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:56 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm No, Wag's! What is really funny is that being on your ignore/foe list means we get to talk at you and talk about you while being spared the nonsense of actually having to interact with you.
sounds very big and clever, congratulations.
Hey, thanks for quoting this. All I can say to el-bo is it works both ways. It's much more pleasant around here for me.
But you still click to view blocked posts. And now you've taken to asking others to quote posts so you can read them. Great job :tu:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”