No More Excuses...Please Help A Wannabe Songwriter

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:31 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm "talent alone" hardly ever "cut it"! Most people who made it will tell you that the talent was the least significant part of the equation. The rest comes down to dedication, perspiration (y'know, in deference to inspiration), knocking on every f**king door, and just never giving up.
wasn't it marilyn monroe who said "i did most of my auditions on my knees" or words to that effect?
I don't get it. Did she have problems standing? Sore ankles, perhaps?

low ceilings probably.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:33 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm "talent alone" hardly ever "cut it"! Most people who made it will tell you that the talent was the least significant part of the equation. The rest comes down to dedication, perspiration (y'know, in deference to inspiration), knocking on every f**king door, and just never giving up.
wasn't it marilyn monroe who said "i did most of my auditions on my knees" or words to that effect?
Yes, that’s why the producers helped by kindly holding her microphone
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:39 pm low ceilings probably.
:tu:

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:40 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:33 pm
Yes, that’s why the producers helped by kindly holding her microphone
Got it! :tu:

LOL, I've never seen so many posts I can't see in my life. Interesting that all these people who I don't speak to want to "help" me.

If somebody I'm speaking to happened to read something someone else said that is actually a good idea, could you quote it so I can read it too? LOL.

Sorry, this is REALLY funny.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:29 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:06 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:41 pm How much networking do you do in the music business? Seriously, if you want to make it that's a must. No one makes it by sending demos to A&R people anymore. I have a friend who is a songwriter for Sony, and he tried for a few years before he made progress, and that was only through making contact with people with clout in the business or in a similar business (in his case movies). Sony now buys songs from him (they buy the publishing rights with a one off payment) to offer to artists to complete albums when their own songs are not up to snuff, so he's had a track appear here and there on albums that sold in pretty serious numbers.

And this is just my opinion, but I would suggest you find a vocalist and lyricist to work with. I think you write good tunes, but I think the vocaloids and the lyrics detract from the good tunes.
First off, I've stopped using Vocaloid for my lead vocals. Still, I'm no singer.

But anyway, so in order to make it I have to somehow contact people in the business with clout who will be willing to even bother listening to one of my songs let alone cut me a break.

Well if that's what this business has truly come to then maybe I'm better off just doing this for the pure enjoyment since talent alone doesn't cut it anymore.
It's not so much about anyone seeing potential as knowing you have something that is already marketable. Which is why demos need to be to a professional standard. Finding talent to perform your songs and engineers to create a product will be important. After all, you're talking about business, not a fun hobby but hard work.

Forgotten is right in that communication is of the greatest importance. I would start with compiling a database or bookmark list of people to contact online - contact them and find out if they will work with you. Those that do can be moved into another list of available talent.

Once you've got something together, contact engineers to realise your product.

It's not far removed from becoming a producer - only you won't have to find a songwriter. ;)

Back in the day though, the guy I knew just used a mic, an acoustic guitar, some tapes and a lot of writing. Things have changed.
Yes, things have changed. Burt Bacharach sat down at a piano and, with that horrible voice of his, sang his song for whoever the guy was he was singing for.

It's quite possible that my time has simply passed.

Anyway, somebody over at Gearslutz heard one of my songs and contacted me. He said he wants to record it for an upcoming album. I can't give anymore details than that because of an NDA but while I don't expect it will be a major hit or anything like that, it just might fulfill my dream of having a song recorded professionally.

Baby steps.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pmIf somebody I'm speaking to happened to read something someone else said that is actually a good idea, could you quote it so I can read it too? LOL.
“Wagtunes is so short he can audition standing”
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

No, Wag's! What is really funny is that being on your ignore/foe list means we get to talk at you and talk about you while being spared the nonsense of actually having to interact with you.

You are making it so that all of us are talking about you 'behind your back'. Of course, you know this, which is why you are likely still clicking to reveal posts, and urging other folk to quote our posts.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm No, Wag's! What is really funny is that being on your ignore/foe list means we get to talk at you and talk about you while being spared the nonsense of actually having to interact with you.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pm I've never seen so many posts I can't see in my life.

mind.
blown!
:party:

i am incredibly high though.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pm I've never seen so many posts I can't see in my life.

mind.
blown!
:party:

i am incredibly high though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whktaYDlsk4

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pm LOL, I've never seen so many posts I can't see in my life. Interesting that all these people who I don't speak to want to "help" me.

If somebody I'm speaking to happened to read something someone else said that is actually a good idea, could you quote it so I can read it too? LOL.

Sorry, this is REALLY funny.
Mostly casting-couch suggestions, I think. GHB might help there - M-cat is also good if you want to lose your inhibitions - along with other things.

Whilst I'm certain Marilyn Monroe had plenty of offers, I'm not sure the same is going to work out so well if you default to selling yourself that way.

The producer working on one of your songs sounds promising. That's the kind of thing you need to get going with as many people as possible. You've got a large back-catalogue and can write songs fast so just keep working at it. I do think that finding vocal talent on YouTube and then writing a song just for them before contacting would be a great way to introduce yourself. Compliments and presents are great ice-breakers.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm No, Wag's! What is really funny is that being on your ignore/foe list means we get to talk at you and talk about you while being spared the nonsense of actually having to interact with you.
sounds very big and clever, congratulations.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pm
sounds very big and clever, congratulations.
Hey, thanks for quoting this. All I can say to el-bo is it works both ways. It's much more pleasant around here for me.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”