More whining about waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sureno wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:46 pm This is probably the most educational content Iv seen here on KVR in a while, quite happy to tick my new thing learnt for the day lol
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am if you can afford having two machines, you certainly can afford two licenses. /s
Logic fail
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fs
you mean... TIL?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TIL
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

There is an uninstall, but only for all plugins at the same time. It's really not so bad because plugins are all small in size so it doesn't take long to uninstall and reinstall all of them (unless you own a ton of their plugins). I own about 60 and it takes less than 10 minutes to uninstall/reinstall them all.

Yeah, but... sometimes you just want to uninstall 1 of the 60, and keep the other 59. Pretty annoying to have to reinstall all of them. Not just the time, but, the effort.

Fortunately, i only have 3.

I've done this many times after I demoed a plugin and decided not to buy it. Uninstall all, then move all to the right to install, select the ones you don't want and move them back left. Then click the big install button and wait a few minutes (or waste some time here on the forum 😅).

Doesn't take much effort 😜

it's still a rigamarole

A related point is that this makes it impractical to use Waves with systems like ReaMote to offload processing.

Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:19 pm
sureno wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:46 pm This is probably the most educational content Iv seen here on KVR in a while, quite happy to tick my new thing learnt for the day lol
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am if you can afford having two machines, you certainly can afford two licenses. /s
Logic fail
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fs
you mean... TIL?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TIL
Stop it, I came here for the whining, not learning new stuff damn it.

Reefius wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:52 pm I've done this many times after I demoed a plugin and decided not to buy it. Uninstall all, then move all to the right to install, select the ones you don't want and move them back left. Then click the big install button and wait a few minutes (or waste some time here on the forum 😅).

Doesn't take much effort 😜
Kudos for the patient attitude. ;)

Installing any piece of software takes more effort and mouse clicks than installing 50 Waves plugins 😜

Typical installer:
  • Welcome screen: click Next
  • License agreement: click Yes to accept (in some cases you need to scroll all the way down to be able to accept) then click Next
  • Install location: click Next for default or even more mouse clicks for alternative location
  • Summary: Click Next to start installing
  • Finished: click OK to exit installer
That's a lot of effort for just one piece of software :lol:

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm Yeah, but... sometimes you just want to uninstall 1 of the 60, and keep the other 59. Pretty annoying to have to reinstall all of them. Not just the time, but, the effort.

Fortunately, i only have 3.
Maybe if both V9 (offline install) and V10 are installed. I could see this putting people off trying demos, it might not be worth the hassle for some. After trying a demo, just delete the plugin from the Waves folder.

Preparing a V9 and V10 offline installer package helps, these can be made and stored on USB or computer, then reinstalling becomes quite easy.

Most modern plugins have GUI resizing, oversampling, parallel processing and mid side features. If Waves implemented this to their older products, then WUP might look more attractive.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I think they definitely have some great plugins. H-Reverb is top notch, for example (just takes too much CPU). H-Delay is nice as well, don't regret getting it for $29 at all. TrueVerb is old, but, not as bad as some claim it is. One bad plugin i tried (IMO) is Waves Codex. It sounds really lo-fi and thin to me. No worries though, almost every company has some great, and some worse plugins.

IR1, Bass Rider, Vocal Rider are irreplaceable IMO, they obviously make great stuff.

Rcomp, Renaissance EQ, etc, are still valid, I just wish they were brought them into the 21st century.
The older stuff is obviously well maintained under bonnet, and usually CPU friendly.
Usability, new features and aesthetics would be welcomed.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I noticed that I basically stopped buying Waves plugins when I spent some time setting up my laptop for production due to a trip, and realized that almost every other brand offers at least 2 licenses. It left a sour taste. And it wasn't a "decision" to stop buying plugins, I think it just added to the thinking when I see something new that may be interesting. I'm currently following a couple of Waves plugins but feel very lukewarm-ish about them.

Re: installer
IMO, anyone that's using the Waves installer to swap licenses on the go is playing with fire. Every time I touch that thing for me there's like a 50% chance something goes wrong. Waves has great customer service so you'll eventually get it sorted, but the amount of hours I've burned already keep me at bay. I very much enjoy my Waves plugins but they are not irreplaceable, I.E.: Outlaw or Hornet for Vocal Rider. The worst is probably that in terms of workflow it takes a dozen plugins to replace the Scheps Omni but it's not a biggie.

BTW, McDSP also 1 license, feel the same way about them, don't even consider them in purchasing decisions anymore, also because of the bugs.
Studio One is 5 licenses, what a killer deal for whoever needs that many. And then we have the no-restriction plugins, kudos to those developers.

jochicago wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:35 pm I noticed that I basically stopped buying Waves plugins when I spent some time setting up my laptop for production due to a trip, and realized that almost every other brand offers at least 2 licenses.
Again. If you go on a trip, you can deactivate your licenses, and activate them on your laptop.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 pm Again. If you go on a trip, you can deactivate your licenses, and activate them on your laptop.
Pretty sure I addressed that point one paragraph down. I don't touch the Waves Central disaster unless I'm having a self-deprecating week and trying to inflict some pain. For mental sanity I prefer to simply forgo Waves plugins, which is quite doable if you are like any of us and have plugin redundancies galore.

Return to “Effects”