Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-FET

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Liero wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 am For me VLA-FAT _was_ competing with all the other 1176's out there, and it won :D
I might be different than others in that I don't want to have eight different types of FET compression at hand, I just want one really good one to rely on without strings attached (like subscriptions, weird copy protections etc.). For me, this is it!

Slightly slower release doesn't bother me at all, it's not even that slow.
The attack snap is perhaps the best out there, only Slate comes close imo.
It also works on just about anything, which is where a lot of other plugins, like the new Arturia one, fails.

So great job BRA!
Thanks a lot!
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

This is the only FET plugin out there that keeps the integrity of the original signal just like our hardware does (which is a custom built clone based on the schematics originally created by Gyraf Audio on one of those DIY forums).

Even when smacking it stupidly hard, the signal doesn't become "plugin grainy"/"smaller" which is something almost all the other FET compressors fail with (haven't tried the latest UAD versions though). So yeah, this thing is the dogs bollocks! An extremely fine plugin indeed!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 pm This is the only FET plugin out there that keeps the integrity of the original signal just like our hardware does (which is a custom built clone based on the schematics originally created by Gyraf Audio on one of those DIY forums).

Even when smacking it stupidly hard, the signal doesn't become "plugin grainy"/"smaller" which is something almost all the other FET compressors fail with (haven't tried the latest UAD versions though). So yeah, this thing is the dogs bollocks! An extremely fine plugin indeed!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. Downloading the demo to try now :tu:

Out of curiosity, what is the best LA-2A vst emulation you've tried?

Can't make my mind up on VLA-FET...any way to reset demo?

dickiefunk wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:22 pm
bmanic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 pm This is the only FET plugin out there that keeps the integrity of the original signal just like our hardware does (which is a custom built clone based on the schematics originally created by Gyraf Audio on one of those DIY forums).

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. Downloading the demo to try now :tu:

Out of curiosity, what is the best LA-2A vst emulation you've tried?
Can't speak for bmanic, but the Black Rooster LA-2A is my pick out of all the contestants as well. I don't know if it's the component modeling or something else, but these just stand out among algorithmic plugins in terms of overall quality. I'm getting a minimal amount of "stuffiness" with BRA and Fuse compressors, that I usually encounter with digital compressors. No idea why, really.

VLA-2A is my go to for spoken word. I was also using Fuse VCL-373 for the same task.
It's easy if you know how

Liero wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:03 pm Can't speak for bmanic, but the Black Rooster LA-2A is my pick out of all the contestants as well. I don't know if it's the component modeling or something else, but these just stand out among algorithmic plugins in terms of overall quality. I'm getting a minimal amount of "stuffiness" with BRA and Fuse compressors, that I usually encounter with digital compressors. No idea why, really.
That "stuffiness" you mentioned is the WORST; it's SO BAD; can't stand it. I haven't actually demo'd the LA-2A yet or anything, but I just—: I am VERY familiar with what you're talking about and it drives me batty. I can't use most waves plugins for that very reason. Nice to know this plugin doesn't have it.

Using this on parallel drum compression and it has taken the spot from Softube FET. The quality that it brings out, even when being completely smashed just sounds amazing.

sleepcircle wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Liero wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:03 pm Can't speak for bmanic, but the Black Rooster LA-2A is my pick out of all the contestants as well. I don't know if it's the component modeling or something else, but these just stand out among algorithmic plugins in terms of overall quality. I'm getting a minimal amount of "stuffiness" with BRA and Fuse compressors, that I usually encounter with digital compressors. No idea why, really.
That "stuffiness" you mentioned is the WORST; it's SO BAD; can't stand it. I haven't actually demo'd the LA-2A yet or anything, but I just—: I am VERY familiar with what you're talking about and it drives me batty. I can't use most waves plugins for that very reason. Nice to know this plugin doesn't have it.
Could you please elaborate? Why do you mean with 'stuffiness'? Does it have to do with transients, or is it something with the low mids feeling congested?

I can't say for CERTAIN that liero and I are talking about the same thing, but for ME it's this sort of sneezy, almost nasal quality, more in the high mids than anything else. it's not so much transients (although some of those plugins definitely handle them better than others)

db3 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 pm Can't make my mind up on VLA-FET...any way to reset demo?
Drop me a message: andre.kirchner @ blackroosteraudio.com
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

BlackRooster wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
db3 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 pm Can't make my mind up on VLA-FET...any way to reset demo?
Drop me a message: andre.kirchner @ blackroosteraudio.com
Done..and bought :phones:

BlackRooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am
v1o wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 am I’ve been using Softube FET for years. The slow release times made me not try this one. I mean how would the all buttons in mode work with a slow release?
It works just fine - Did you test the plugin already? Besides that - we wanted not only to push out the quadrillionst emu of this great compressor, but add a new flavor to your arsenal with a non-typical revision. It is not always about money, but about taste and vision! And as producers and engineers ourselves, we strive for the best sound we can achieve, with the tools that are available. And there are many revisions available - so we added, what made sense and not what would be the "basically equal competitor with more XYZ". At least this is and always has been our spirit and that's why most of our emulations come with an exotic twist, some slight modifications & revisions, that add spice to the originals.
I´d say that´s a pretty cool attitude. I bought today :)
Keep up the great work. :party:

BlackRooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Endor-8o8 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 am
BlackRooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am
v1o wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 am I’ve been using Softube FET for years. The slow release times made me not try this one. I mean how would the all buttons in mode work with a slow release?
It works just fine - Did you test the plugin already? Besides that - we wanted not only to push out the quadrillionst emu of this great compressor, but add a new flavor to your arsenal with a non-typical revision. It is not always about money, but about taste and vision! And as producers and engineers ourselves, we strive for the best sound we can achieve, with the tools that are available. And there are many revisions available - so we added, what made sense and not what would be the "basically equal competitor with more XYZ". At least this is and always has been our spirit and that's why most of our emulations come with an exotic twist, some slight modifications & revisions, that add spice to the originals.
Nobody's saying it doesn't work. We were just saying it doesn't do that agressive compression release some of us want with the all button mode or any other ratio position. One of the the first thing I tried was drum room mic with the VLA-FET on "all buttons mode" and it didn't do it for me. The room wasn't breathing/pumping like I'm used to hear with other emulations (FET Compressor or Slate FG-116 Black or the brand new MC77 by PA for example), and this was due to the release which doesn't feel/sound as fast as other emus. Again, nobody's saying it doesn't work, but if someone (like me or v1o) is looking for this fast/agressive 1176 movement, the VLA-FET won't be the first choice that comes to mind. The fact that there's a lot of alternative can make us picky and less impulsive/emotional when it comes to a new product like a new 1176 emulation. However, it does have a tone and a drive section that sound amazing and it's still another great product from Black Rooster. I own a lot of plugs from you and love them, so no hater here ! :wink:
I understand and agree. Again, it was never our intention to build a competitor to other 1176 emulations, but to have an additional sound option - that's why I responded, without trying to invoke a discussion; It was just to get our process transparent. We sincerely don't want to "copy" the sh** out of a great product that has been modeled over and over, just to have that in our portfolio and I just wanted to make that clear. I personally like the idea of variety and I don't see why one product should cover it all. But this is just an opinion that found its way into BRA software - and everyone is free to choose whatever sound tool(s) her/she like to make use of.

And I don't see hate - I was pointing out for those not too familiar with BRA and/or FET compressors, that the release times and sound of the VLA-FET are not "better" or "worse" to the competition, but follow a different revision and therefore sound different by intention. I never felt offended by your thoughts - please don't feel offended by mine.

All the best, André
I tested the FET and it was also not possible to get room mics sucking the room back on recorded drums. The release is too slow for this. For me this is one of the main reason to use a 1176. And with all button mode active the sound doesn't change much which is unexpected. Ratio 20 and all button mode doesn't sound different here besides a little little bit more ratio. On the 1176 models I know the compression curve changes significantly and provides a faster release than normal.

I'm honestly interested and want kindly ask what's the idea behind this mod or taking this revision and were does it shine?

So far I can only see that it's catching transients very very well when wanted and it can create a nice attack. But it doesn't work as a character compressor for rooms or in all button mode, which is again the main reason for me to use a 1176. :wink:

I understand that discussion partly. Of course it's logical to think of the typical 1176 effect for what this thing is renown. But after the devs have explained what they did and why, I don't understand the discussion any more. Let's see this plugin for what it is and that is indeed a great character of its own. And that's something I'm looking for in a plugin. Don't need the 100th similar emulation of the ever same renowned units, that's getting boring. I appreciate new approaches and fresh emulations of rare units or of rare revisions. Like from BlackRooster, FuseAudioLabs or the new fantastic True Dynamics from Kazrog. Thank you for that guys.

Return to “Effects”