The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am PA lets you use plugs on THREE effin' computers. That's my studio desktop, my laptop and ?. Think about it. Duh.
Fender lets you use your Strat on as many amps as you like.
granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am Plugins are not real things, they are licenses.
That's why we pay with vouchers, instead of real money ;)

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 am
granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am PA lets you use plugs on THREE effin' computers. That's my studio desktop, my laptop and ?. Think about it. Duh.
Fender lets you use your Strat on as many amps as you like.
granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am Plugins are not real things, they are licenses.
That's why we pay with vouchers, instead of real money ;)
"real money" is a hoax.

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 am That's why we pay with vouchers, instead of real money ;)
That's why we post with avatars, instead of real people.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Robmobius wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am I know it's been said. But to introduce a large sale just before the sub was introduced is pretty sneaky. That doesn't affect me (because I hate the sub-model), but just for anyone else who bought stuff in the sale and might also want a sub too. Nice little cash injection for PA there without conveniently mentioning the sub was coming around the corner. I love their plugins but I'll never trust PA again. :(
Yep, PA probably factored subbers doubling up, otherwise an extra $20 transfer fee for stuff bought in the sale and subsequently sold. And then they gave the biggest misdirection of all by suggesting megasale prices would be the new norm. Tainted.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 am "real money" is a hoax.
Care to buy my PA voucher then? ;)

granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am PA has the best software installer and management system of any major plug developer. If you use plugins from many different companies you will appreciate the PA install manager for saving you hours of time keeping up with software upgrades and installs. This feature alone is worth $150 a year to me. Seriously.
Exactly. This is one really important reason why I got a hardcore PA user. I just needed to reinstall Windows on my Surface (as Win8.1 works better then Win10 with the Roland UA1010 for whatever reason), and my plugin folder is in my Dropbox account. For PA plugins there is even no need to reinstall them, just open the first plugin, enter your creditals, and everything is setup again.

You will find other licences I own soon in the Marketplace, as e.g. some Kuassa Amps, although I think that Vermilion is for some guitar sounds a little bit better then everything from PA.

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 amIt's also about communication, hype, marketing tricks, customer respect, and even access to what Marx called "means of production".
According to some, "corps are people too", but people and corps have diverging interests. What is good for shareholders is rarely in the best interest of consumers. And the struggle is oneven: corps define their business model, all a person can do is complain.
PA used to cater for both Elton John and common folk. In the subscription model, we all pay the same... well those of us who can, anyway, for as long as we can.
I disagree with capitalism. But I'm using its glittering tools. Plus I'm an ego driven cheapskate. That's what makes me a pseudo communist. :shrug:

I'm amazed this thread is still going. What I don't understand though, is why some people will no longer buy plugins from PA just because they now have added a subscription service.

Another thought is that future sale items might well be much cheaper for those paying the subscription. However, I think it would be a little unfair to have a time-limited introductory offer if that is so - though I also doubt that offer will really be a one off.

granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am PA has the best software installer and management system of any major plug developer. If you use plugins from many different companies you will appreciate the PA install manager for saving you hours of time keeping up with software upgrades and installs. This feature alone is worth $150 a year to me. Seriously.
Except there is no way to see what version you have installed and if there's any updates available. And it doesn't show release notes, release dates or older versions available. So it's pretty lousy actually, they could learn a lot from NI.
More BPM please

Unaspected wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:17 pm I'm amazed this thread is still going. What I don't understand though, is why some people will no longer buy plugins from PA just because they now have added a subscription service.

Another thought is that future sale items might well be much cheaper for those paying the subscription. However, I think it would be a little unfair to have a time-limited introductory offer if that is so - though I also doubt that offer will really be a one off.
Yeah, that’s kind of weird. Also the dumping of the plugins. Don’t really get it.

granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am Some thoughts to no one in particular:

As a "heavy hitter" my price is $150 a year. So that is a little bit more than what I have been spending on plug ins for the last few years. So it kinda makes sense for me. Sorry.

If you are running a business then having a fixed cost for anything is nice, especially if you suck at running a business.

Fixed pricing makes budgeting easier for hobbyists and prosumers (hobbyists who spend too much money).

Plugins are not real things, they are licenses.

If you own a modern DAW you really do not NEED any plugins at all, moron. Please read this sentence over and over again.

Any press is good press and all the complainers are really just helping PA. Thanks!

If you can't afford PA prices then move along. There are plenty of free plugins or DAW plugins or low cost plug ins.

How many of these whiners give every freakin' dollar they have to Apple?

PA lets you use plugs on THREE effin' computers. That's my studio desktop, my laptop and ?. Think about it. Duh.

If you whine about software prices then you have absolutely no freaking clue how hard it is to develop, test and market not only any software but niche software like plugins. Get a freaking clue!

PA has the best software installer and management system of any major plug developer. If you use plugins from many different companies you will appreciate the PA install manager for saving you hours of time keeping up with software upgrades and installs. This feature alone is worth $150 a year to me. Seriously.

Hey, guess what? We all die eventually. Even you. Nothing lasts. That song you uploaded to the cloud that people stream to their devices will someday be gone and will leave no dust and no trace on planet earth. Sorry.

Sculpture seems to last a bit if you are interested.
er... why all that anger?

Your first name isn't perhaps Dirk by any chance?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I'm gonna wait for the NEW, NEW Plugin Alliance :shrug:

PA Installer:
- have no info of plugins actually installed and their version
- no update option

You either remember which version you have and which plugin or you have to open website and check which plugins you own.

It's faaaar from being best. Even Native Access is better these days

pixel85 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:57 pm
PA Installer:
- have no info of plugins actually installed and their version
- no update option

You either remember which version you have and which plugin or you have to open website and check which plugins you own.

It's faaaar from being best. Even Native Access is better these days
there is an option to only install plugins you own.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

granted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am If you whine about software prices then you have absolutely no freaking clue how hard it is to develop, test and market not only any software but niche software like plugins. Get a freaking clue!
Sculpture seems to last a bit if you are interested.
Well I have a clue, since I'm a develooper for more than 20 years and yes sometimes it's difficult.
But since all plugins, in general, are more or less the same piece of code, you save a lot of time during development and testing. I'm sure, that PA is smart enough to use some sort of framework and that the main effort lies in creating the algorithms and the gui.

But these are all things hardware engineers have to do as well and more (mains voltage may kill you, a blue screen only feels somewhat similar).

Then in production the software branche kills. No resources, almost energy costs, no transport.

And please compare the regular PA prices to other plugin manufaturers.

Return to “Effects”