Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

xbitz wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 pm the problem that currently Waveform contains/gets those features which ones I would like to see in BWS
The problem with Waveform... at least on the Mac... it is crash city.

^^^ yepp but at least the last version got a crash protection system which can reload the project pretty much exactly where you were (and finally has groups too, and can MIDI stretch clips, can groove quantize clips, has chord track has ghost clips, retrospective record etc. etc. )
Last edited by xbitz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

To each their own... I will not use unreliable software that crashes constantly...

The problem with most other host is, that a plug-in can crash it. Not so with Bitwig, and crash recovery is also there in case it happens...

I had issues with one plugin, Jamstix 3, but smooth sailing since I ditched it, and setting the program to run as low rez.

^^^ simple tried to draw automation (add a point to it) to a modulated a macro control and it says goodbye :x and no crash protection can help here ... game over man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X8bKA9Cg9k

seems Waveform has been created for non-modulated users ... in BWS at least the unified-modulation system is rock solid ( FL Studio has a better workflow, Bitwig has better modulation framework )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 pm The problem with most other host is, that a plug-in can crash it. Not so with Bitwig, and crash recovery is also there in case it happens...
One of the reasons I left Bitwig 1.x was that in spite of this claim and the plugin sandboxing, plugins could trigger a total freeze needing force-quit, which is effectively the same as a crash in my book (and may not trigger a meaningful OS error report like an actual poof crash does). Maybe things are better in Bitwig Mac-land in v3?

Much better... And as the devs claim the Mac support is harder than Win/Linux it should be even much much better for all...

Waveform. I've yet to have a crash on the PC, but the Mac, yes.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 pm The problem with most other host is, that a plug-in can crash it. Not so with Bitwig, and crash recovery is also there in case it happens...
One of the reasons I left Bitwig 1.x was that in spite of this claim and the plugin sandboxing, plugins could trigger a total freeze needing force-quit, which is effectively the same as a crash in my book (and may not trigger a meaningful OS error report like an actual poof crash does). Maybe things are better in Bitwig Mac-land in v3?
I have not had a Bitwig crash in more than a year. Bitwig is the most stable DAW I have used.

Same here, rock solid for me (win 10), I never even think about it.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It’s been a very long time since I’ve seen Bitwig crash and it never crashed often to begin with. I think since PortAudio, I haven’t seen one, though they do list them in release notes.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:52 am I own Bitwig. I really do like it but no way does it deserver a 10 out of 10. Personally there are too many weird issues with eh UI, too many inconsistencies, and just plain missing features. So imo the "review" was either a paid for ad, or the reviewer never bothered to actually use the software to make music. Probably played around with Grid and called it a day. But then again its MusicTech and in general they are crap.
Every single article on MusicTech Review is a paid for ad. Have people really not figured this out yet?

They need another review category. Non-paid Review.

It’s nicely written, but it’s not a review. I won’t go so far as to say it’s a shill piece, but it sure reads like one.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”