Xils-Lab miniSyn'X [A new happy user : Mr Jean-Michel Jarre ]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
miniSyn'X

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm It may be the third time lucky thing, but when the 64bit plugin kept crashing on the enter serial number screen (in Bitwig 3 and Abelton 10) I switched to the 32bit version (in Bitwig) and that let me register it and I could then switch back to the 64bit version.
Actually started playing with it last night and I don't think I'll ever get used to plugins that show me settings and knobs I can't alter. Like noise is in so many of the presets and I'm stuck with it. Ho hum.
Anyway enough nice sounding presets for it to be worth it even if a few were massively CPU heavy daring me to play a four note chord without the sound glitching. Hopefully someone will come to their senses either at Xils or my parliament before too long and the price in sterling will improve :)
Hmmm you should be able to lower/zero the noise oscillator volume in any patch no ?

In case of double layer patches, you can also edit the noise volume in gang mode (i.e decreasing/lowering the volume of the noise oscillator will apply to both layers simultaneously. Same with Split mode patches)

But maybe it's something else and I misunderstood your question ?

Tips : CPU/Polyphony : You can specify the polyphony for both layers/keyboards. If this isn't enough, you can try to reduce the Release parameter of one/both envelopes (VCA/VCF). It's the biggest cpu eater parameter. Another one, specific to the Mini/Syn'X is to disengage the PWM button. This one eats a lot of cpu also. It will more/less change the sound of the preset, depending of other settings/part played etc, but sometimes it can be worth it if the sound differences doesn't matter too much oin the track.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

It also crashed Tracktion Waveform 10 several times - but I can't 100% say it was the fault of the plugin, since Waveform v10 is crash-y for me in general (the even number versions tend to be). Once I loaded the synth into a new project, I was eventually (3rd try) able to enter the serial and start using it without crashes. Oh, that's the 64bit version.

To Vito, WatchGuitar and others who have been confronted to the buggy lag when entering serial number : The problem is now fixed with new installer (taggued _250b). Hopefully for all systems/daws combos.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:12 am A Synthex for -atm- 29€ is a real steal imho :)
... to say the least !
:lol:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:35 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:12 am A Synthex for -atm- 29€ is a real steal imho :)
... to say the least !
:lol:
... and it sounds great!! Highly recommended, especially at this price.

no dong required right? Paypal only? no credit card? Why do you need my phone number? am I going to be harassed now?

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:46 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm It may be the third time lucky thing, but when the 64bit plugin kept crashing on the enter serial number screen (in Bitwig 3 and Abelton 10) I switched to the 32bit version (in Bitwig) and that let me register it and I could then switch back to the 64bit version.
Actually started playing with it last night and I don't think I'll ever get used to plugins that show me settings and knobs I can't alter. Like noise is in so many of the presets and I'm stuck with it. Ho hum.
Anyway enough nice sounding presets for it to be worth it even if a few were massively CPU heavy daring me to play a four note chord without the sound glitching. Hopefully someone will come to their senses either at Xils or my parliament before too long and the price in sterling will improve :)
Hmmm you should be able to lower/zero the noise oscillator volume in any patch no ?

In case of double layer patches, you can also edit the noise volume in gang mode (i.e decreasing/lowering the volume of the noise oscillator will apply to both layers simultaneously. Same with Split mode patches)

Tips : CPU/Polyphony : You can specify the polyphony for both layers/keyboards. If this isn't enough, you can try to reduce the Release parameter of one/both envelopes (VCA/VCF). It's the biggest cpu eater parameter. Another one, specific to the Mini/Syn'X is to disengage the PWM button. This one eats a lot of cpu also. It will more/less change the sound of the preset, depending of other settings/part played etc, but sometimes it can be worth it if the sound differences doesn't matter too much oin the track.
Thanks for the tips on the PWM, had missed that - it helps the CPU a lot. The first preset I noticed the issue on is one called 'PA Lounge Pad LtZ' - which I assume is one of yours - was pretty much unplayable, but lowering the voices to 3 and 3 meant it could handle chords OK. Though still 60-70% CPU just using one instance in my DAW which is insanely high for one instrument on a Ryzen 2700X. That's by far the worst preset for it though, all the others I've used are way down in the 15-20% CPU area.
What wasn't immediately obvious to me - not knowing the synth that well yet - was that the it's truly duotimbral and changing between lower and upper reveals different oscillator settings. So like when you said to turn off PWM on that patch I wondered how until I realised the PWM was only set to on within the 'upper' set of voices. Once I'd done that even with 6 voices each upper and lower it was only hitting 40% CPU and the difference in sound was very marginal.

As for what I'd said about the 'stuck' controls last night, I have no idea why but today they're all functioning perfectly and I can control anything e.g. can now control noise absolutely fine. I haven't updated to the latest build either so no idea what was happening with that. I wonder if it was some UI event update issue in my DAW as I was playing around with some fairly beefy tracks last night with a lot of LFOs it had to keep track of.

Now that I can actually get down and dirty with changing the control values I realise this is great fun and was well worth the price of admission. I love how synths from this era have their own quirks and foibles.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

This plugin and offer surely seems interesting, cant wait to try it. :)
Do you know if it is NKS compatible?

davidka wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am This plugin and offer surely seems interesting, cant wait to try it. :)
I wish it was

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 am
Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks for the tips on the PWM, had missed that - it helps the CPU a lot. The first preset I noticed the issue on is one called 'PA Lounge Pad LtZ' - which I assume is one of yours - was pretty much unplayable, but lowering the voices to 3 and 3 meant it could handle chords OK. Though still 60-70% CPU just using one instance in my DAW which is insanely high for one instrument on a Ryzen 2700X. That's by far the worst preset for it though, all the others I've used are way down in the 15-20% CPU area.
What wasn't immediately obvious to me - not knowing the synth that well yet - was that the it's truly duotimbral and changing between lower and upper reveals different oscillator settings. So like when you said to turn off PWM on that patch I wondered how until I realised the PWM was only set to on within the 'upper' set of voices. Once I'd done that even with 6 voices each upper and lower it was only hitting 40% CPU and the difference in sound was very marginal.

As for what I'd said about the 'stuck' controls last night, I have no idea why but today they're all functioning perfectly and I can control anything e.g. can now control noise absolutely fine. I haven't updated to the latest build either so no idea what was happening with that. I wonder if it was some UI event update issue in my DAW as I was playing around with some fairly beefy tracks last night with a lot of LFOs it had to keep track of.

Now that I can actually get down and dirty with changing the control values I realise this is great fun and was well worth the price of admission. I love how synths from this era have their own quirks and foibles.
Yes you can make split and layer patches. And the stereo tool really helps to achieve precise and great stereo scenes. Well, the Synthex has a particular sound. You won't get this sound out of any minimoog, prophet etc emulation. -ime- it works very well for 1st plan instruments in a mix, and for minimal music (2/3 synths max) with each instance requiring to sound full, precise and robust.

davidka wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am This plugin and offer surely seems interesting, cant wait to try it. :)
Not yet NKS (but might become in the future). It's big brother, the Syn'X 2 is NKS compatible, with NI certification, since version 2.0.3.

Hi,

Really a great sounding VST !

Just wanted to let you know that I had 2 crashes today (Ableton Live 10.1 64-bit) :

1- After having entered the serial, closing and reopening the GUI crashed Live (I restarted Live and it was registered and OK)
2- I created a 2 steps sequence containing 2 different notes on the internal sequencer, when clicking on the "DELETE ALL" button, Live crashed (was not able to reproduce it though)

Cheers,
GilJ.

GilJ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:21 pm Hi,

Really a great sounding VST !

Just wanted to let you know that I had 2 crashes today (Ableton Live 10.1 64-bit) :

1- After having entered the serial, closing and reopening the GUI crashed Live (I restarted Live and it was registered and OK)
2- I created a 2 steps sequence containing 2 different notes on the internal sequencer, when clicking on the "DELETE ALL" button, Live crashed (was not able to reproduce it though)

Cheers,
GilJ.
Thanks. Noted and forwarded to Xils.

V2.50D has been released and fixed a few minor bugs, like possible errors with multiple retags in a row, and possibly the 1st one you mentioned.

Thanks!
Maybe hou meant v2.5.0f ? (as I was using v2.5.0e)

How long will the sale run for?
Can't seem to find an end date for it...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Return to “Instruments”