Feedback

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This time I've made a house track with piano and bass as the main elements. Going for that grooviness and a little bit of punch. Let me know what you think! Every feedback is appreciated :D

https://soundcloud.com/0scito/i-cant-breathe/s-jQU8J

I like it! Mix sounds good, it's catchy and the instrumentation goes good together.

Very nice :tu: One thing that can be improved is the vocals. They are a bit dry 0:54> need to be slightly wetter or slapbacked / doubletracked - more prominent.
@ 3:07 you do actually add some vocal delay etc. That was good... but earlier in the song vocals are lacking.

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.125

Comments: The backing pad in the beginning is too soft and muddy. Needs EQ and a volume boost. Vocals need to be brought up as well and maybe not as dry. The music is pretty cool. The structure is a little loose. Also, it doesn't know if it wants to be a vocal song or an instrumental. Not sure where the hook is, if there is one. It isn't terrible but the track could use some work.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:35 pm Very nice :tu: One thing that can be improved is the vocals. They are a bit dry 0:54> need to be slightly wetter or slapbacked / doubletracked - more prominent.
@ 3:07 you do actually add some vocal delay etc. That was good... but earlier in the song vocals are lacking.
Thanks! :D I actually copied the vocals twice (one for a lower pitch and one for a higher pitch, the volume set for these were pretty low). ...is that what you mean with doubletracked? If so, I think the low pitch vocal with higher volume would sound terrible, is there any other way to make it more prominent than adding layers? And you think I should add more reverb and delay to the vocal earlier on? :)

Appreciated!

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:16 am My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.125

Comments: The backing pad in the beginning is too soft and muddy. Needs EQ and a volume boost. Vocals need to be brought up as well and maybe not as dry. The music is pretty cool. The structure is a little loose. Also, it doesn't know if it wants to be a vocal song or an instrumental. Not sure where the hook is, if there is one. It isn't terrible but the track could use some work.
Thank you for the feedback! I will adjust the pad to what you said! As said in the description of the topic, I wanted to focus on the piano and the bass, as well as getting a punchy mix. I feel it is more like a chorus than a hook, as it is a house song. I could work a bit on the structure tho, I agree haha :D

Thanks!

Guy Produce wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39 pm Thanks! :D I actually copied the vocals twice (one for a lower pitch and one for a higher pitch, the volume set for these were pretty low). ...is that what you mean with doubletracked? If so, I think the low pitch vocal with higher volume would sound terrible, is there any other way to make it more prominent than adding layers? And you think I should add more reverb and delay to the vocal earlier on? :)
Appreciated!
A common trick with vocals is to duplicate the track and pan one track right, and the other left. Also, some people nudge one track a few milliseconds and this gives it a slightly thicker sound.
I think your vocals need some volume and some reverb. Although sometimes people opt for delay over reverb, because reverb pushes your vocals back and makes them less prominent.
I personally use the Waves CLA Vocals plugin and that gives me a few tools in one plugin.
Other plugins to use on vocals are Saturation ones and Soundtoys Microshift.
Saturation can really help a sound punch through a mix if you use it right. If you cant afford a good Saturation plugin, then try Softtube's one-knob and see what effect that has for you on your vocals:
https://www.softube.com/saturationknob#/

Bansaw wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:47 pm
Guy Produce wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39 pm Thanks! :D I actually copied the vocals twice (one for a lower pitch and one for a higher pitch, the volume set for these were pretty low). ...is that what you mean with doubletracked? If so, I think the low pitch vocal with higher volume would sound terrible, is there any other way to make it more prominent than adding layers? And you think I should add more reverb and delay to the vocal earlier on? :)
Appreciated!
A common trick with vocals is to duplicate the track and pan one track right, and the other left. Also, some people nudge one track a few milliseconds and this gives it a slightly thicker sound.
I think your vocals need some volume and some reverb. Although sometimes people opt for delay over reverb, because reverb pushes your vocals back and makes them less prominent.
I personally use the Waves CLA Vocals plugin and that gives me a few tools in one plugin.
Other plugins to use on vocals are Saturation ones and Soundtoys Microshift.
Saturation can really help a sound punch through a mix if you use it right. If you cant afford a good Saturation plugin, then try Softtube's one-knob and see what effect that has for you on your vocals:
https://www.softube.com/saturationknob#/
Okey thanks! So do you suggest that if I nudge one track a few milliseconds, it should have the same pitch? And just pan them each way?
I haven't really gotten into reverbs and how to make the best reverb, but I actually learned a technique some days ago, that you duck the reverb whenever the vocal is active, in FL Studio you can use a peak controller. Also, I did use the saturation knob on the vocals! :D But thanks for the pointer :)

The nudging just offsets it in time, yes same pitch. Look up double tracking vocals on Youtube, theres a lot of tutorials on it. It just makes them sound wider and thicker.
I also use a Vocoder at a very subtle volume to thicken up vocals too.

I enjoyed this! I had no complaints on the production or vocals. Good stuff.

The vocals seem to work pretty good with the rest of the production. It’s kind of different but you also need might want to mess around with effecting them some for attractiveness.

I think it was ABBA that originated the vocal mini second lag for more presence or a glimmer effect. It’s subtle but effective.

The Beatles copied the Chipmunks effect on Sgt.Pepper album. :D

- I tried to make feedback.
- On which frequency would you like the feedback?
- Feedback is rather loud.
- There is not much overuse of feedback in your track.

Other than that, here are my remarks for your track.

Break it down.
Music "appereantly" goes slower when you use less notes over time, "appereantly" faster when you use more notes over time.

Your track uses a constant pace, even in the breakdown section the arpeggio keeps the 16th feel.

Use modulation on the bass notes.
Modulate by variating, in octaves, in 5ths, adding some 7 to 8 as well as -1 to 1.

A very good track, I would have given it a 8.67/10.

For time-correction on (ye vocal) tracks in samples and ms, you may want to try the Voxengo Sound Delay plugin.

EatMe wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:29 am - I tried to make feedback.
- On which frequency would you like the feedback?
- Feedback is rather loud.
- There is not much overuse of feedback in your track.

Other than that, here are my remarks for your track.

Break it down.
Music "appereantly" goes slower when you use less notes over time, "appereantly" faster when you use more notes over time.

Your track uses a constant pace, even in the breakdown section the arpeggio keeps the 16th feel.

Use modulation on the bass notes.
Modulate by variating, in octaves, in 5ths, adding some 7 to 8 as well as -1 to 1.

A very good track, I would have given it a 8.67/10.

For time-correction on (ye vocal) tracks in samples and ms, you may want to try the Voxengo Sound Delay plugin.
Thank you!! So you would like to see the track change the perceived tempo? And for the bass, how often do you think a change in a note can be efficient?

:D

Frantz wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 pm I enjoyed this! I had no complaints on the production or vocals. Good stuff.
Thanks !! :D

fastlanephil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 am The vocals seem to work pretty good with the rest of the production. It’s kind of different but you also need might want to mess around with effecting them some for attractiveness.

I think it was ABBA that originated the vocal mini second lag for more presence or a glimmer effect. It’s subtle but effective.

The Beatles copied the Chipmunks effect on Sgt.Pepper album. :D
Thank you! I tried to do that vocal thing, with putting one clip a bit behind, but maybe its not loud enough. What kind of effects would you prefer on a vocal like that? :D

Return to “Music Cafe”