AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 pm Thanks I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Scarlett 4i4 then thanks .
You are probably making a mistake, Focusrite has one of the the worst drivers performance you can imagine out of all USB interfaces and one of the most unreliable too, I had issues, everyone I know had issues, boards like this are full of people having driver issues with them, they hardly keep up with updates, their customer support is excellent, their gifts are superb, but they are widely known for their bad drivers, I wouldn't invest trust and money in that company again, but guess only way to avoid Focusrite is to actually be on receiving end, so if you need to get burned too, that's what you have to do, you got friendly warning, I got them because of word of mouth and got burned, hype isn't justified.

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:10 am
fedexnman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 pm Thanks I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Scarlett 4i4 then thanks .
You are probably making a mistake, Focusrite has one of the the worst drivers performance you can imagine out of all USB interfaces and one of the most unreliable too, I had issues, everyone I know had issues, boards like this are full of people having driver issues with them, they hardly keep up with updates, their customer support is excellent, their gifts are superb, but they are widely known for their bad drivers, I wouldn't invest trust and money in that company again, but guess only way to avoid Focusrite is to actually be on receiving end, so if you need to get burned too, that's what you have to do, you got friendly warning, I got them because of word of mouth and got burned, hype isn't justified.
Not in my or many many others experience, Focusrite's have been solid for years, and is one of the reasons why the Scarlett range is the top selling audio interfaces on the market.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

@Passing Bye ....Thanks for your input ...... I know there was issues with the Focusrite Scarlett gen1 drivers and devices , but with the gen2 devices the drivers got better and things got ironed out , there wasn't much of a difference in the boxes and cosmetics from gen1 to gen 2 devices , you may have had a gen1 device , I know gen1 customers got crapped on . I guess I'll do my homework a tad more . I know the 4i4 gen3 would fit the bill for me , I'll probably buy it from a place that has a good return policy or sell 2nd hand (Reverb or eBay) The unit is really cheap at $239 ... I think I've spent $4-500 on other stuff over the years . I really need a new audio interface before building a new PC and I know USB4(thunderbolt) has NOT really hit the Mobo market or audio interface market really , so when I do spend the money it's gonna be on Thunderbolt/USB4 interface and new computer build .... Will see just want to get my audio interface ironed out 1st .

very nice :)

What is the reason for such high temps if TPD of Zen2 is lower then previous Zen and Zen+(
3900x TPD is the same as 2700x) and low in general compared to e.g. Intel Skylake-x etc?
I would like to see MSI B450 TOMAHAWK included in VRM testing

Here the power consumption for some of CPUs, that indicates also TPD.

2700x is 15% above 3900x

Here VMR test of some B450 mainboards with 2700x

https://youtu.be/EqQcgwz1hYA?t=672

poshook wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:28 pm What is the reason for such high temps if TPD of Zen2 is lower then previous Zen and Zen+(
3900x TPD is the same as 2700x) and low in general compared to e.g. Intel Skylake-x etc?
Crap VRM = high temp
I would like to see MSI B450 TOMAHAWK included in VRM testing
MSI B450 Tomahawk + 2700x overclocked to 4.2 MHz
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/m ... ew,18.html
I would add some small heatsink to the chip...

Thanks for the VRM test links.
Does anyone know of a hardware test site that has a large throughput of recent AMD/X570 boards, but also does DPC Latency test with the board ?
The only I know is Anandtech, and seems they're testing very few boards these days in depth (they have a market check of 35 boards.... but just briefly, skipping the DPC Latency tests on all of them :/).
Churs.
c.

I been using my x570 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with a 3600 since launchday, and its been solid so far, no issues at all, did a quick 10minute test a week or so ago, still reinstalling stuff when get time, as real life work extremely busy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Doesn't sound like the fan noise on the Mobo gonna be much of a problem ..

Excellent thread to tweak and learn the nuances.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd- ... st28064156

Goony wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 am Not in my or many many others experience, Focusrite's have been solid for years, and is one of the reasons why the Scarlett range is the top selling audio interfaces on the market.
It's one of the cheapest and over hyped based on Saffire firewire range which is actually deserving every bit of it, maybe that's the reason, I had USB Saffire, which wasn't as cheap as Scarlett and much higher regarded (again because of firewire range), but it had same issues, lousiest performing USB low latency drivers on the market and unreliable too, every new OS update brought new issues, that continued with Scarlett too, also I had USB 1.1 unit that had issues with Intel i processors rendering it useless on low buffers, I'm done with Focusrite's USB interfaces, it's just not worth it, if you are happy than awesome, there's plenty of us that aren't, all good.
Last edited by Passing Bye on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are also many many more that are happy, I have a 2nd gen 18i20 and certainly not cheapest either, but has been excellent & rock solid. Brilliant range of interfaces, and even more so with the 3rd gen Scarlett's.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”