Psy Bassline for Starters

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since I don’t like to be considered a troll when I’m not trolling, and neither I want anyone to freak out by the though I didn’t know that the saw wave might be a starting point for a Psy Bassline, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLkrLDMz7Ps

Now, I don’t think it is good. I think it’s better than about half of the tutorials on YouTube but it does not matter at all. To me, the only question is whether I could imagine it in one of my favorite commercial tracks? And the answer was most of the time a "no".

That’s why I spent a half a year on it and not that I didn’t realize my synth had a saw wave and a low pass filter.

The video is not the result of that half-year. If I make a decent one, I will never show the process to anyone. It’s just that throwing a filter on a saw wave is not the end of the story.

There is little connection between sound design skills and hearing. I can have near to zero design skills and at the same time, I can hear if a sound sucks. It does not mean I can do it better otherwise I didn’t spend that amount of time on it.

By the way, there are a few tutorials I liked soundwise but not the style I like.

My all time favorite is not a modern one. UX - Dominion, 5:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uuwcPlxSJ4#t=5m40s

Maybe it’s the mixing. To me, this few seconds was perfect. Although, it’s not the type of bass I was working on for the first time.

Your method of tone-shaping via match-EQ isn't going to scale when you graduate to writing music with more than one note in it.

the geezer from Cosmosis offers some good tutorials

https://youtu.be/cKFrIGoGSdc

^ Top geezer that geezer, geezer.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Maeldron wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm Since I don’t like to be considered a troll when I’m not trolling...
Here's a thought. If that's what you want, don't spend ages in a video messing around while you insert a plugin, accidentally delete it, insert it again, mess around some more...

OTOH, you might have found an niche in faintly comic production videos.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

maybe lost in translation?
but that's 57 seconds I'LL never get back

sqigls wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 am maybe lost in translation?
but that's 57 seconds I'LL never get back
Just an FYI. Every 57 seconds you’ll never get back.

allow me to not rephrase that...

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am
Maeldron wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm Since I don’t like to be considered a troll when I’m not trolling...
Here's a thought. If that's what you want, don't spend ages in a video messing around while you insert a plugin, accidentally delete it, insert it again, mess around some more...

OTOH, you might have found an niche in faintly comic production videos.
And continues to demonstrate redundancy: This time using a delay plugin instead of additional notes in the piano roll.

Still. I guess it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there.

However...

Maeldron wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm If I make a decent one, I will never show the process to anyone.
Remind us why we're helping you again?

YouTube avatar reminds me of SawCeeJack...

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am And continues to demonstrate redundancy: This time using a delay plugin instead of additional notes in the piano roll.
I think it was that bit that more or less convinced me it has to be a wind-up. If it is meant to be satire on dance-music production tutorials, it's a winning idea though. What's the most byzantine procedure for getting repeated notes? It's this!
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

I feel I need to step in for this guy.

He’s a newb but clearly he’s driven. Give him credit for learning, sheesh. Sure he’ll f*ck up from time to time but that’s part of the journey.

I'm not taking this one at face level. It's all a bit too RoyalDeadman.

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am I'm not taking this one at face level. It's all a bit too RoyalDeadman.
:hihi:

Man that guy was something else.

However I recall when I first started out i bought the following in only a few months (software wasn’t a thing then):

- Novation Drum Station
- Novation Bass Station
- Novation A-Station
- Nord Lead
- Juno 106
- Akaa S5000
- plus more that I’ve now forgotten.

That’s easily more than $3k. It’s very easy to get carried away when it’s a new hobby.

mixing music is f**king fun

sqigls wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm mixing music is f**king fun
as is f**king.

Return to “Sound Design”