Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

it pretty much sums it up for me that some people think having little picture of their VSTs is more important than having a fast-intelligent pop up browser. If you have a lot of plug ins (I do) then Bitwig’s solution is by the the best at quickly finding what you need from plug to preset with audition. I have Studio One and Cubase which both have little picture eye candy but I don’t use it, just takes up real estate and offers no workflow benefit.

Calling people ‘CV geeks’ on a forum for people who use ‘pretend’ CV StUff Reason our Realtor or even ACE is slightly amusing...you are on KVR, you are a geek, Live with it 🤓 !
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bitwig's browser is best thing ever!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 am ...I have Studio One and Cubase which both have little picture eye candy but I don’t use it, just takes up real estate and offers no workflow benefit. ...
+1... it´s the first thing I turn off...

The only part it makes sense for me is the Plugin Picker window of FLS...
But there again you´ve got the problems that having images in the Plugin Picker means having images in the browser too and in the browser it doesn´t serve anything than endless scrolling because of needing a lot of space...

Bitwig´s popup browser is really state of the art here... well done... :tu:

nostalgic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am
reggie1979 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am Shame on you, you are saying that bitwig is plagiarizing live? For shame.
It's more like one of those weight loss commercials, Live being the before picture and Bitwig being the after. :)
:hihi:

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am Bitwig's browser is best thing ever!
The popup browser needs to be synchronised with the side browser though (or dockable) - it gets in the way when you have an instrument loaded, especially The Grid which I like to have full screen with the device bar closed, so I would prefer to browse using the sidebar, but it behaves differently with presets (ie they load a new instance when you click on them, they don't load the preset into the current instance, even with drag-drop onto the instrument)

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:00 pm
nostalgic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am
reggie1979 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am Shame on you, you are saying that bitwig is plagiarizing live? For shame.
It's more like one of those weight loss commercials, Live being the before picture and Bitwig being the after. :)
:hihi:
ouch! :lol:

I'm liking pretty much everything about Bitwig except two areas, controller compatibility and interconectivity with other DAWs etc. If it could do SysEx dumps, and ReWire I would have switched from Live years ago. I use DP10 a lot, probably not changing with any new DAW, considering I've owned or own Logic, Reason, ReNoise, Reaper, Live, and MPC2. Bitwig as a VSTi, or ReWire would be ideal, maybe DP adds Ableton Link? but I doubt it.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am Bitwig's browser is best thing ever!
The popup browser needs to be synchronised with the side browser though (or dockable) - it gets in the way when you have an instrument loaded, especially The Grid which I like to have full screen with the device bar closed, so I would prefer to browse using the sidebar, but it behaves differently with presets (ie they load a new instance when you click on them, they don't load the preset into the current instance, even with drag-drop onto the instrument)
I agree, I owned Bitwig 1.x and the behavior of the popup browser when they introduced it was one of the things leading me to sell my license. Look forward to demoing v3 now that it's out, though.

I’m a fan boy and want to support these devs as much as possible, it’s not expensive in my mind considering how expensive software used to be (Logic 6 was 1k and Space Designer was $300). I just finished a tune for a game that had 300 tracks and tons of Kontakt and Massive X’s In the session. No other DAW could pull this off natively without the CPU screeching to a halt, no Logic / Ableton / Cubase. Try loading 30 instances of Massive X in any of those DAWs and you’ll see, Bitwig can handle it no problem because of the Suspend Plug In when Silent feature, no CPU is used if nothing is passing through. It’s so brilliant.

Love the browser, hybrid tracks, modulation, routing, tabbed projects, and now the grid - we’ve got it too good now in my mind. Using Logic feels so clunky now and Ableton’s GUI is just downright dull, and has none of the features that I want, Bitwig does. I also think Bitwig’s synths and Sampler are amazing, the synths sound fat and thick.

Bitwig Studio 3.0 downloaded fine for me, and offered to install, but after authenticating installation no change appears to result. I'll poke at it more tomorrow.
- - - - -
[edit: next day]
I used command-line installation and it worked fine.
Last edited by Harms on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what the hell are you jokers on about?

Been playing a bit with the demo (my license only goes up to 2.3) and I can't figure out how to make an LFO global in the grid instead of per voice.

Edit: nevermind, figured it out.

kdogg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm Using Logic feels so clunky now
Sincerely using anything else now feels clunky...

If they make fl studios piano roll obsolete then yes this is my go to but sadly still a clunky piano roll
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Bitwig is geared towards performers mainly, FL is what anyone who want full pencil-in experience should use.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”