Care to list your Plugin Alliance gems?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pmI mean, with the latest update at lest you can see values when turning knobs (albeit in excruciatingly small font).
Indeed, and not only is the label small, the text isn't vertically aligned so the bottom of the text hits the bottom of the box, whereas there's a bunch of space above it. That gets my OCD going big time :x

townhouse.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm That gets my OCD going big time :x
ocdc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:41 pm
cprompt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm That gets my OCD going big time :x
ocdc.jpg
Hahaha!!

Choosing your “gem” or your “favourite” plugin is like choosing between your children. :o

The ones I use the most, in no particular order:

- ACME Audio Opticom
- Cleansweep Pro
- SSL 4000E
- Delay 2500
- Opto
- Subsynth
- Townhouse
- Noveltech Vocal Enhancer
- Transient Designer Plus
- Twin Tube
- Vitalizer
- Instant Delay

Hell, you can easily mix a whole track using just those plug ins. Didn't care too much for the reverb though.
Have fun. :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I have a few for sale...they are listed

ADPTR Audio Metric AB: I was a MTM Reference user: Metric AB adds all sorts of things to the mix
BassDude: My favorite amp sim
BX Boom: Quick and simple way to add punch to your kick
BX Control: On most tracks. Simple to mono below certain frequencies, and add stereo above
BX Console N: A sweet sounding console emulator
BX Digital V3: A powerful ‘does it all’ EQ
BX Refinement: There isn’t really anything else like it to remove harshness from a track
Lindell 354E: A great old-school multiband compressor that’s still easy to use
Maag EQ4: Really nice ‘color’ EQ, featuring the ‘Air Band’
SPL Transient Designer: I’m guessing you know what this does.
SPL De-Verb: I’ve used this simple plugin extracted from TD to remove excess reverb more times than I can count
UA Sandman Pro: A really interesting delay. All the Unfiltered Audio stuff is interesting
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

I've had every PA plugin since joining up. I've ended up using them a lot on my own music, where I try to avoid using Unfiltered plugins (it puts me into a work mindset). I'm not a professional mixer by any means, but I'm pretty happy with how the mix turned out on this more experimental EP: https://thefebruarythaw.bandcamp.com/album/telemetry-ep

The PA standouts for my weird use cases:
bx_refinement: This is a really gentle filter that removes harshness from my mixes. Since I've doing a lot of extreme processing, this does a great job of removing more distracting artifacts and keeping the mix smooth. I might use this more than any other PA plugin.

Black Box HG-1: I think I used this on the master bus of every track on that EP, except the second track (which uses Analog Heat). I've started getting into Phil's Cascade on my current projects as an alternative.

bx_delay: I used this all over the first track, where bx_delay is modulated by Bitwig. It's how I got that telescoping delay effect. I tried out a bunch of other experimental delays, but I was very happy with how well this sat in the mix, along with how it stood up to modulation

bx_digital: Very surgical EQ. I alternate between this and Pro-Q, depending on the scenario. Specifically, I use this one a lot for cutting frequencies. I really like how this auditions the bands that you're altering, helping me find the specific range that's annoying me.

Millenia NSEQ-2: I used this on one of the tracks. It ended up solving a really tough frequency problem for me while not adding its own character.

thelizard wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:14 pm I've had every PA plugin since joining up. I've ended up using them a lot on my own music, where I try to avoid using Unfiltered plugins (it puts me into a work mindset). I'm not a professional mixer by any means, but I'm pretty happy with how the mix turned out on this more experimental EP: https://thefebruarythaw.bandcamp.com/album/telemetry-ep

The PA standouts for my weird use cases:
bx_refinement: This is a really gentle filter that removes harshness from my mixes. Since I've doing a lot of extreme processing, this does a great job of removing more distracting artifacts and keeping the mix smooth. I might use this more than any other PA plugin.

Black Box HG-1: I think I used this on the master bus of every track on that EP, except the second track (which uses Analog Heat). I've started getting into Phil's Cascade on my current projects as an alternative.

bx_delay: I used this all over the first track, where bx_delay is modulated by Bitwig. It's how I got that telescoping delay effect. I tried out a bunch of other experimental delays, but I was very happy with how well this sat in the mix, along with how it stood up to modulation

bx_digital: Very surgical EQ. I alternate between this and Pro-Q, depending on the scenario. Specifically, I use this one a lot for cutting frequencies. I really like how this auditions the bands that you're altering, helping me find the specific range that's annoying me.

Millenia NSEQ-2: I used this on one of the tracks. It ended up solving a really tough frequency problem for me while not adding its own character.
That NSEQ is a nice eq. I sometimes use it just for the harmonics and a little ultra high end boost.

Thanks for all the constructive replies. They've been really helpful in making my decision. While I have historically been against the plugin rental model, I chose to join up, given how the price is so attractive.

Within the first hour I found some stuff that I immediately started recording with. It's really fun getting to know all of these toys. I'm a happy customer.

However, there is a very serious bug: after I open and use a plugin, it does not save the settings when I close the session. I reported the bug and was given a work-around - after waiting around for a response for few days. It's not a huge pain in the ass, but certainly an inferior functionality compared to every other plugin I own - and I own many.

I don't have many their plugins and I was too late on the cool sales/voucher train. What I do have is very great, bug free, has great interface, is CPU friendly and the activation manager is perfect.

BX Console SSL G - I use it everywhere, on literally every track and it works wonderful. Filters/compressor/gate/EQ/saturation - I like it all, it suits my workflow and don't need many other plugins for mixing anymore. And I can mix faster than before.

Townhouse compressor - I use it on some group channels. If it works, it works great and it takes not much to deliver great results.

UA Triad - my goto FX processor. Delay, distortion and modulation possibilities are great. Even reverb is good. The GUI is ok, but not perfect. You can use it for slight mixing duties or for big sound design. Very versatile.

Lindell 6x and 7x - good saturation and compression alternatives. The preamp makes soft synths sound more analog. The compressor works for me on drum tracks only, not on other instruments.

Their subscription is not for me. I can work fast, because I have only one channel strip, a goto compressor and a favorite multi effect tool and I know all of them well. If I had 5 channel strips and 20 compressors, it would slow me down. I'm not a mixing engineer, I create my own music, so PA sub with 100 mixing tools would be overkill for me. But owning many virtual instruments would be a dream, so I think about East West subscription.

I had a one year subscription and intented to recommend one or two PA plugins here. Well, some weeks ago I sold my last PA plugin.
I always found some better plugin for whatever application.
I do not remember one PA plugin that has set a new benchmark or was unique with great quality. Their plugins are mediocre imo.
For instance Waves has created some legends with Rbass, RVox, MV2, TransX, TapDelay etc that are still used after so many years or Soundtoys.
PA has a good internet presence, good marketing and promotion.
Huge regular prices and regular sales is a nice trick to make one want to grab a plugin and think it's something special. I mean reg price 349 usd and now you can have it for 35, can you resist, can you?! Haha
Also some hyped plugins that are completely useless imo like
Shadow Hills, Black Box, Vertigo VSM3, Purple Audio MC77, bx_masterdesk etc.
Well, everyone can find out what is good for him, there is a big choice.
My recommendation is better to buy 2 or 3 maybe a little more expensive plugins, but good plugins, plugins that you will use instead of having hundreds of mediocre subscription plugins or purchasing some PA or AA on sales.
Last edited by Najimad on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vertigo VSM and Vertigo VSC are worth the subscription alone. I also use MAAG EQ4 and some of the BX tools (stereo maker and control)

(Before I even clicked on it, I just knew someone would be in this thread sh*tting on PA. 🙄)

This post is old but I'll just say: anything Unfiltered Audio and DS' synth Thorn.

Lousy customer support is what soured me on PA and makes their regular retail prices laughable.

Return to “Effects”