Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm A bit off-topic:
Oberhausen is one of the poorest cities in Germany...
But it has one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe.
And the awesome "Ruhr-in-Love" festival (was there last week) plus some cool clubs.
More BPM please

Poor but sexy?

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:28 pm Poor but sexy?
they're my favourites. they dont want diamonds but put out.

paterpeter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:52 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm A bit off-topic:
Oberhausen is one of the poorest cities in Germany...
But there is a GASometer, so it's a great place to name a plugin after :P
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
The average bored guy

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am .........

Under LION’s hood is a dual-oscillator architecture where each oscillator comes with 26 modes. These modes range from classic to modern and all the way up to purely experimental. Pick and choose from FM synthesis, subtractive or additive waveforms, superoscs, noise or variations on each!

Each algorithm lends itself well to extensive modulation and also provides an easy path for stereo spread at the core synthesis level. What really takes LION to the next level and sets it apart from all the other soft synths out there is the ‘Drift’ mode and Unison variation.....
What is a 'substractive' oscillator ? As I understand it, 'substractive' is a synthesis method involving a couple of module, at least an oscillator and a filter to substract freqs from said oscillator. But a 'substractive oscillator' alone ? I'm curious to see what it is.

And what are substractive or additive 'waveforms' ? A waveform like a sine can be obtained in analog synthesizers, as well as in FM, and also with additive synthesis. Then, it's still a waveform known as 'sine'. So what is an additive 'waveform' ?

Also to get FM you're supposed to have at least two oscillators, not a single one, or a feedback path and self modulation. So maybe it's feedback.

As for the drift and unison well, I know a -quite unexpensive- synth that had both of them, and interacting with each other, years ago. And lot of synths have similar features. So, strictly speaking, as exposed, there's nothing that 'set it apart' in a stunning way. So there's probably more than this.

I'm not sure what to think actually. The pitch aims to make one believe that it's somewhat unique, but in the same time, the messages are not precise enough to describe what could be unique. This said it's just an extract of the whole blurb, but it made me scratch my head.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

BTW, what happened to all the lion jokes?
Were they just not punny anymore.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Here I suspect that "subtractive" just refers to classical subtractive synth oscillators, i.e. triangle, sine, saw, square. This is also borne out by the part of the manual that was posted here. (Also, I don't think this is a controversial use of terminology? "Classical subtractive synthesis" is a common phrase.) That excerpt also answers some of your other questions: "additive" refers to a sine stack, which is indeed what I understand additive synthesis to be, and it does look like actual multiple-operator FM synthesis will be implemented as well.

As for uniqueness, I do expect this to be pretty unique. IIRC Michael Hetrick implemented similar oscillators in his Euro Reakt blocks and they were really interesting. Graft this onto the Byome architecture and I think we'll be getting something very cool.
Last edited by Smapti on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm BTW, what happened to all the lion jokes?
A whim away ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm BTW, what happened to all the lion jokes?
A whim away ...
:lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

i had a few quite weak ones, but i have my pride so i left it.

:smack:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

We should keep this thread unlocked, please...

Hink wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:35 pm:smack:
:hihi:

Yeah, Smapti has it correct. Technically speaking, each LION "oscillator" is not an oscillator in the classic sense, but a generator of some sort built upon at least two oscillators. We used the term "oscillator" to make it more intuitive to use, as the term is commonplace in Eurorack for describing any sound-generating module.

There are three types of FM "oscillators", for instance, where each is a different operator topology. The additive (harmonic) "oscillator" is a combo of sine oscillators. Regarding subtractive, you could say that the entirety of LION is subtractive, since the complex generators then run through a master per-voice filter.

:hyper:

Return to “Instruments”