Looking to buy budget monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Any advice on reference monitors under $350?

Get 2 of these: https://www.thomann.de/de/jbl_lsr_305p_mkii.htm

Although i'm not sure whether you look for 5" or bigger.

Well I don't know anything about monitors. I just want a flat sound for mixing. Is bigger the better?

Fluid Audio FX8
Kali Audio LP-6
Presonus Eris E5

In that order, Fluids are most amazing things you can get for your money, if you can hear them somewhere, that would be great, but you can't go much wrong with either, but if you ask me, Fluids than everything else.

A budget monitor. Excel should do the trick.

Oh you mean.... Yeah those JBLs have received quite a lot of praise.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Adam T5V would be around $400 a pair, and they tend to make good gear.

Really though, most of the offerings in that vicinity should be fine. If you have the option to hear them before buying, that’s great. Otherwise, YouTube is (sometimes) better than nothing.

Thanks for all the answers!

Genelec 8010 APM Biamplified Active Studio Monitor ... a little over budget but worth it imho. i bought my 1080A's more than 20 years ago. Worth every penny. I can't believe how cheap the 8010 is for a bi-amped active monitor. Might be even cheaper in the US.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/genelec ... wgQAvD_BwE
I'm tempted to get a pair at that price ...

EDIT .... looks like they're quite pricey in the states. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-monitor

I use a pair of the JBL 305P MKII's, they're really quite capable for the price, amazing actually. Flat with a surprising bass presence. If you can afford something larger than a 5", of course go for it, as it will provide greater detail, but the 5's hold their own.
Echo Season
Musician | Sound Designer
www.echoseason.com

I narrowed my options to these:

Kali Audio LP-6
Jbl 305P MKII
PRESONUS Eris E5

If anyone could make a comparison between these three it would be great. Thanks y'all!

It's really subjective. Even if you had a comparison of all three, somebody else would disagree.

The Kali's are almost exclusively raved about though (including a good pal of mine who's ears I trust) so that's what I'd go for even though I've never even seen them!

tehlord wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am It's really subjective. Even if you had a comparison of all three, somebody else would disagree.
True. Definitely best to demo them in person. If possible, of course. The nearest possibility here would be 40 km's away, and they only have a very narrow selection... not really a big store.

OK It seems like the best way is to demo them by myself. Thanks for all your answers!

wmojgh^ùxpitjhpirwx
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclectus wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm I recommend Yamaha MSP5. Rock solid, front ported, small but really heavy workhorses. Easily available on the second hand market for bargain prices. These are very professional.
MSP7's are the last ones that legend Akira Nakamura did, MSP5's and 3's aren't the same thing, they just share the similar name, I was on the fence about them and still might get them at some point, they aren't really in this price range tho.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”