LIQUID PHUNK - Voices of Ambiguity

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!
It all started with an exercise for one of my songwriting/composition students,
a little melody and a Live-Project provided to him.
To show him what you can do with some enthusiasm and passion for the music,
I did turn this exercise into a song myself
and never expected that this would be the result :-)

Have fun !

https://soundcloud.com/hybridrums/liqui ... -ambiguity

(( D ))

One motive dominates the whole song from start to end. What strikes me
is the fact that you pushed the drums very hard, the snare is almost
distorted.

All in all: characterful EDM track. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I expected something softer and faster (thought liquid funk was something like London Electricity/High Contrast, that kind of thing) but I enjoyed what I heard, very good clean mix and enough muscial variations to keep things interesting. I like how the track fluctuates betwen funky trumpets, floating synths and "medieval" melodies.

Ther drums are indeed squashed but in some interesting way, i like how they sound.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

First of all thanks very much for listening.
enroe wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 am One motive dominates the whole song from start to end.
One dimensional hearing leads to one dimensional comments.
There are many motives, used in an additive way, a complementary way or in a leading way.
The main motive is in the B section, assisted by many others.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to listen several times to the track.
enroe wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 am What strikes me is the fact that you pushed the drums very hard, the snare is almost
distorted.
Guess what ? Its EDM ...
And "almost" doesn't count nowhere.
Nobody cares if you almost did hit the girl in the club :-)
enroe wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 amAll in all: characterful EDM track. :tu:
Thanks, and if you mean with characterful, that the track is complex and is not like the typical EDM song, than :tu:

(( D ))

Interesting EDM or IDM.

I think you could swap in orchestral percussive instruments and perform this with orchestra and voices or a maybe also create a soundtrack mix.

:tu:

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 9

Comments: Mix a little loud for me but that's just a personal thing. I'm sure it's probably where it needs to be to win the loudness wars. Other than that, not much to pick on. Well done.

recursive one wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am I expected something softer and faster (thought liquid funk was something like London Electricity/High Contrast, that kind of thing)
That's my artist name btw ...
recursive one wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am I enjoyed what I heard, very good clean mix and enough muscial variations to keep things interesting. I like how the track fluctuates betwen funky trumpets, floating synths and "medieval" melodies.
Ther drums are indeed squashed but in some interesting way, i like how they sound.
Soundcloud does strange things with your tracks by uploading ... that's just the way it is.
Listen back, I did upload a revised version, but the drums do still have character :-)
Thanks for listening !

(( D ))

fastlanephil wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 am Interesting EDM or IDM.
Thanks very much !
fastlanephil wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 amI think you could swap in orchestral percussive instruments and perform this with orchestra and voices or a maybe also create a soundtrack mix
The percussion instruments (for the second acoustic layer) are all orchestral instruments !
  • Orchestral snare drums
  • Orchestral Bass drum
  • Low toms
  • Crashes
  • Gongs
  • etc.
The challenge is here to get it to work with the electronic elements.
All I can say is: the balance is the key :-)
Yes I did write for orchestra and I love it.
Lately I absolutely enjoy to write for string ensembles and by getting the right
balance tonally, it´s very moving and emotional !

(( D ))

Cool! I liked the ambiance. Nice rhythmscape and soundscape.

A complex and original piece with detailed orchestration. The mix is a little on the loud side but acceptable for EDM.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:10 amComments: Mix a little loud for me but that's just a personal thing. I'm sure it's probably where it needs to be to win the loudness wars. Other than that, not much to pick on. Well done.
I am not into the loudness war at all ! It´s just a matter of genre and there is always a volume knob !
In fact one important reason why the loudness war came up, is because people are too lazy to use the volume knobs, when there are some differences in intensity and dynamic in songs. So, no sympathy for complainers ;-)
I mastered this song, so it´s not "only" mixed and that's the waveform:
LP Waveform.png

To win the loudness war I would have came up with somewhat like the Metallica sausage (horrible album sound):
Metallica Sausage.png

With that said the
wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:10 amMix - 8.5
could be described as a bit harsh :-)

Anyway, thanks for listening.

(( D ))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drumity on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Little side note:
Workin´ for weeks and months on songs, the KVR audience is one of the lousiest.
After 1 or 2 weeks and usually not more than 4 comments the track disappears to page 2837328
as quick as a 16 year old is saying to his girlfriend: :shrug: "Finished" :shrug:

(( D ))

markkuja wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 pm Cool! I liked the ambiance. Nice rhythmscape and soundscape.
Thanks very much Mark for listening and commenting !!

(( D ))

Frantz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 am A complex and original piece with detailed orchestration. The mix is a little on the loud side but acceptable for EDM.
Thanks for listening and please have a look at my comment concerning the loudness !
Finally someone with ears and pointing out the detailed orchestration.
It looks like that so many doesn´t have an idea how much work this is ...
and not only that.
How´s that biblical quote with the pearls ?

(( D ))

FUA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Cafe”