The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

an-electric-heart wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am Just listened to Super Mom too. I do actually listen to your songs, but never have any specific critiques, so just stay quite... having said that, I thought I'd just chime in to agree with what others are saying; You've got a nice clear, up-front mix going on there compared to your usual stuff... not that I think your usual stuff sounds "bad", to me your previous stuff normally just has some of the qualities of older recordings, like it's from the '70s or something (not talking about the song writing, just the overall sound of the mix)... and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that!

As for the music, it's cool, kind of feels like Santana's radio stuff. :tu:
Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

FWIW, I grew up in the 60s and 70s so tend to gravitate towards that sound. But my early recordings sounded just plain bad because I was just plain bad. Didn't know what I was doing. Now my more recent stuff that still has that 70s sound, yeah, that's intentional. This track I tried something different.

So just how did I get this mix to sound like this? Well, a few things.

1. I massively cut down on the number of tracks. Only about 15 on this one and half that is the drums.

2. I processed the lead vocal as clean as possible. Only EQ, compression and a touch of reverb and delay.

3. Used very few FX across the whole thing.

4. Agonized over the SPAN. Made sure nothing was even remotely rearing its ugly head.

5. Paid attention to the stereo spread of everything making sure I kept instruments out of each other's way.

6. Didn't over arrange the whole thing, which I tend to do. Kept it relatively simple.

I seriously doubt I could get this clean a recording with 100 tracks, nor would I even attempt it. That good I'm not. At least not yet.

Baby steps.

Super Mom is interesting. I like those strings, they fit well with the theme. I could see this on Van Halen or Santana’s albums from the late 70’s early 80’s.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm Super Mom is interesting. I like those strings, they fit well with the theme. I could see this on Van Halen or Santana’s albums from the late 70’s early 80’s.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Appreciate it. Van Halen or Santana, eh? Okay. I'll take it. First time I've ever been compared to those guys. :lol:

Thanks again.

13th track from my upcoming CD "Still Out Of Sync" My rap song challenge.

A Drop In The Bucket Of Time

Karma is a bitch
It'll make your privates itch
When you're walking down the street
And you have to scratch your feet

So be careful when you walk
And be careful when you talk
And if you should take to crime
Just remember...
You're just a drop in the bucket of time

Karma's got a way
To make you pay and pay
When you feel you need to play
But your friends tell you you're gay

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Karma always wins
That's when pain it all begins
And your life it don't go well
And your dreams all go to hell

Repeat Chorus

In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... et-of-time

Sounds close to Mr. Roboto and She Blinded Me With Science mixed with The Police and Eminem.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 pm Sounds close to Mr. Roboto and She Blinded Me With Science mixed with The Police and Eminem.
Very good. This is what The Police would probably sound like if they did rap.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm This is what The Police would probably sound like if they did rap.
You think? :wink:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm This is what The Police would probably sound like if they did rap.
Oooh, that’s gotta sting.

Disclaimer: no comment on the comment other than I liked that joke :oops:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Pun intended? :hihi:

;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I suspect Stewart Copeland might have added a wee bit more in the rhythm department...

Kudos Wags, you had a crack and you said openly that rapping wasn't your thing. Always good to see people willing to step up to the plate. :tu:

jacqueslacouth wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am I suspect Stewart Copeland might have added a wee bit more in the rhythm department...

Kudos Wags, you had a crack and you said openly that rapping wasn't your thing. Always good to see people willing to step up to the plate. :tu:
Thanks. I'm just going to ignore the inevitable snide remarks coming from the peanut gallery. Especially since most of them are on ignore anyway.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 pm

If there was a joke somewhere, I must have missed it.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am I suspect Stewart Copeland might have added a wee bit more in the rhythm department...

this.
yeah, it ain't hip hop but i didn't hate it
kinda pop weird.

anyway, are you sure its karma?
my doctor said its crabs :shrug:

I liked it, kind of Grace Jones meets Andy Summers vibe.

Return to “Music Cafe”