Midi Looper Support Thread

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

great video, thanks

David wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 am Felt compelled to do my bit towards ensuring adequate interest in this cool thing, and the insane genius and generosity of "Astralp", and so made this "ultra-basic" intro to ML; HIH!

Note to Andrew: I DO NOT need—nor do I imagine many of us do—for any further development of this looping tech, as in the FX version you mention, to be packaged up with ML as a built-in bonus! I'll be thrilled to see it someday as an additional HG Product!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT6BmT0A_A
David,

Thanks for the video. ML is deeper than I originally thought. I like the Variations on the loop.
I may just buy it but would like to hear some interesting music produced by the Midi Looper.
I suppose that the Midi Looper will have in Kontakt a midi out to play any VSTi?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:33 am
David,

Thanks for the video. ML is deeper than I originally thought. I like the Variations on the loop.
I may just buy it but would like to hear some interesting music produced by the Midi Looper.
I suppose that the Midi Looper will have in Kontakt a midi out to play any VSTi?
Sure, the whole point of the MLooper is it sends MIDI out to whatever you want.

Me, too, re: the variation options; they're super interesting to me. But what I actually like best is to hear how often my totally instinctive, not-planned-at-all little recordings into each sequencer, blend with each other in, to me, VERY interesting ways. MUCH to explore there…

As for "interesting music", well that's always a different issue, no? :)

Of course it's easy to make interesting snippets of sound and note patterns. Combining those, or what you learn from making those, into something some OTHER persons would consider interesting music, well…

I seriously CANNOT (and WILL not) quit with the snippet making, I just love doing that, with all sorts of the amazing tools we now have and are constantly flowing our way, and with all manner of results, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

But I don't even bother anymore to imagine that I need any other audience than myself for my results.

If something does fall into my lap that I consider actual music—and I do think that does happen, now and then… Purest Grace, and not to be spoiled (IMO) by wondering over-much if anybody else will agree…except my wife, that is:)

My "music" is for me.

David,

Due to your video I now am considering getting the ML. In my mind I will have a very slowly evolving pattern with minor Variations and #2 a bit faster and so on and let it run. Will this work?

Gotta say the investment Dollar wise. My hesitation is that already have have plugns that I have yet to try. Secondly I am looking at Architect. Thirdly I have Midi Madness and a few other midi fx that I am looking at but will not buy until I see what Architect has to offer.

Decisions Decisions!
When does the $19.99 offer for ML end?

David wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 am Felt compelled to do my bit towards ensuring adequate interest in this cool thing, and the insane genius and generosity of "Astralp", and so made this "ultra-basic" intro to ML; HIH!

Note to Andrew: I DO NOT need—nor do I imagine many of us do—for any further development of this looping tech, as in the FX version you mention, to be packaged up with ML as a built-in bonus! I'll be thrilled to see it someday as an additional HG Product!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT6BmT0A_A
Fantastic Video! Thanks so much for doing this!

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:58 am When does the $19.99 offer for ML end?
I'm not sure but another couple of weeks probably :)

Ok, I've hopefully fixed the issues with recording Midi. I've completely re-written the Record stuff so it happens on the Note On Message and uses a temporary length, it then updates the length when the note is released. I've also limited the Note Length to the current Pattern length as it would cause problems by overlapping itself when looping round.

I have to go through all of the Record Modes to make sure I haven't broken anything, so REPLACE Mode is what I'm most interested in being tested at the moment. But if you find anything else not working in the other Modes please let me know, its a bit of a major upheaval but necessary to solve the problem. It shouldn't affect any recorded material/existing projects or presets.

Thanks to David for providing a troublesome Midi File which really helped me identify issues I hadn't fully considered previously :)

I really hope this is an end to the CPU build-up, I've got rid of a few utility loops by restructuring so I'm feeling confident!

V0.992
• Rewritten Record Engine Method to avoid issues with long Midi Notes. Notes are now added on Note On and the length is updated on Note Off Message.
• Reduced CPU Usage and hopefully fixed CPU build-up some people experienced.
• Added routine to check for Duplicate notes when recording, if found the existing note will be updated with the new Length and Velocity.

Maybe now I can to work on the Utility Menu at last.

My knowledge on chord theory is questionable so my suggestion may sound very stupid. :oops:
How about a chord progression based on the Midi Looper?
The Chord Looper could be used to generate variation of chord progressions.

If you going to throw tomatoes at me make sure they are not in a can. :lol:

Well you can do that really, there are 7 customisable Scales, one for each variation and by using the Transpose Triggers you can change the pitch, and additionally when you are using Scales the MOD Wheel can scroll up through Scale Inversions :)

You have Chord Stepper as well don’t you? That’s probably even better for doing it in a more Chord centric way.

No tomatoes from me :)

Astralp wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 pm Ok, I've hopefully fixed the issues with recording Midi. I've completely re-written the Record stuff so it happens on the Note On Message and uses a temporary length, it then updates the length when the note is released. I've also limited the Note Length to the current Pattern length as it would cause problems by overlapping itself when looping round.

I have to go through all of the Record Modes to make sure I haven't broken anything, so REPLACE Mode is what I'm most interested in being tested at the moment. But if you find anything else not working in the other Modes please let me know, its a bit of a major upheaval but necessary to solve the problem. It shouldn't affect any recorded material/existing projects or presets.

Thanks to David for providing a troublesome Midi File which really helped me identify issues I hadn't fully considered previously :)

I really hope this is an end to the CPU build-up, I've got rid of a few utility loops by restructuring so I'm feeling confident!

V0.992
• Rewritten Record Engine Method to avoid issues with long Midi Notes. Notes are now added on Note On and the length is updated on Note Off Message.
• Reduced CPU Usage and hopefully fixed CPU build-up some people experienced.
• Added routine to check for Duplicate notes when recording, if found the existing note will be updated with the new Length and Velocity.

Maybe now I can to work on the Utility Menu at last.
So far, so VERY good—not a spike yet, smooth as silk:) Thank you!

Ditto 🙃

Great! Have you found it better at recording Midi Data too?

Thanks for letting me know:)

Astralp wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm Great! Have you found it better at recording Midi Data too?

Thanks for letting me know:)
That's what I tested to check for spikes—because this was the most repeatable way I was experiencing them…so, YES!

It might be useful to allow multiple variations to be active at the same time.

Musical Gym wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:08 am It might be useful to allow multiple variations to be active at the same time.
They override pattern parameters so I’m not sure how you could override with more than 1 at a time or how it would be useful? You can select a specific variation to be used per pattern, essentially locking it instead of using auto.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”