Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 pm
Ranoka wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:33 pm Once all these hotly anticipated synths are all released, we should have a poll! (for which is the real Serum killer) :D
Hive2
MSoundFactory
Phase Plant
Lion
Massive X
Pigments 1.2
(did I miss any)
Of course, you missed the Grid... You might need a new DAW though, but thats even more fun...
reaktor (full) with all the toybox packs and unfiltered audio euro reakt (for racks). you can get the synth you want. crazy amount of modules, already.

i think all synths are serum killers, ha! (everything is matter of taste). MSoundFactory seems to me the serum killer, i own it, next to pigments.

i am very curious what lion brings to the game.

It comes in August:

Welcome the King of the Synthesis Jungle

After developing some of the most innovative and forward thinking audio processing tools in the world, Unfiltered Audio is reaching for new heights with their very own first synthesizer. LION is an extraordinarily deep synth that features an easy to use interface and provides everything you need for quick patching, endless experimentation and intuitive sound design.

Under LION’s hood is a dual-oscillator architecture where each oscillator comes with 26 modes. These modes range from classic to modern and all the way up to purely experimental. Pick and choose from FM synthesis, subtractive or additive waveforms, superoscs, noise or variations on each!

Each algorithm lends itself well to extensive modulation and also provides an easy path for stereo spread at the core synthesis level. What really takes LION to the next level and sets it apart from all the other soft synths out there is the ‘Drift’ mode and Unison variation. It’s quite simple to program full and lush sounds with just the oscillators, all before you start reaching for any external effects.

All within its single-interface GUI you have a powerful ability to craft sounds that feel as though they were produced by a large chain of plugins, tabs and automation. Instead of spending time watching tutorials to learn the intricacies of a synth, you can now focus on the music by harnessing LION’s immense sonic complexity and versatility.

The Power Lies Within

Continuing with the success of Unfiltered’s previous hits BYOME and Triad, LION features a stacked BYOME effect row which provides a streamlined way of creating FX chains and manipulating them further with the modulation from the incoming MIDI notes. For example you can control the filter cutoff knob with the last MIDI note value. Or why not apply modulation to any of the 40+ effects with large variety of onboard modulators? The possibilities here are endless as creating fresh sounds that simply can't be reproduced in any other synth is not only possible, but readily attainable!

Furthermore, LION is also rather unique in the way that it integrates the mixing facilities within its workflow. The mixer offers distinct modes for combining the two oscillators in wildly creative ways. The default algorithm acts as a standard crossfader while more experimental modes such as Bitwise operations, Bidirectional Sample & Hold, Ring Modulation, Min/Max, Wave Terrains, and direct comparison operators create non-standard relationships between the two oscillators, all leading to truly amazing sounds.

Finally, LION takes Unfiltered's concept of “serendipitous sound design” and expands on it with a refined version of the randomization engine that is found in BYOME. Aside from browsing through hundreds of presets in search of inspiration, you can take advantage of the scalable randomization engine. This essentially lets you set it up at 5%, then scroll through the presets and hit the randomization button and you can right away hear dozens of variations on any of the factory or user-created presets.

Try LION in August and get a new perspective on what is possible in the world of modern synthesis.

If LION is as clunky to use as Byome then it is an instant no-go for me.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

So is this like Braids + Byome?

So there's a demo now with it coming out next month but no mention of price. It's that tactic again designed to get us to play with it and fall in love before we dismiss it for being too expensive. It's underhanded in my opinion. (they meant audio demos not "a demo")
I'm also annoyed that this has BYOME welded onto it. I feel like I'm going to be paying for BYOME a third time.
Last edited by graspee on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So is this PA’s way of beta testing now, roll out a bunch of new plugins, we iron out the bugs and then pay over the odds prices...

I agree with the comment above too, it does feel like a buying BYOME a third time. Maybe we’ll get it cheaper again though like TRIAD, here’s hoping.

Yup - BYONE is the last thing I buy from PA, buggy as hell for a year, no updates and the. They bring out a small update and launch it as a new product. I am keeping away from PA.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Why does the UI look like Future Audio Workshop's Circle 2?

I’ve been resound my disappointed with PA.

I like UA’s ideas, and I think that BYOME sounds very good. I also don’t begrudge music software developers from trying to maximize the monetization of their software. Frankly, developing a core software and then spinning it out into multiple different products with multiple different revenue streams is exactly the the advice taught by developer of Siri in Stanford’s entrepreneur start up course.

But I got burned on the BYOME intro price. When I saw it for sale so much cheaper that was it for me and PA.

I’m also not a huge fan of subscriptions. I don’t use most of the plugins with a subscription. I like to purchase or rent to own.

If I was a pro mastering engineer, then I would probably think different.

I got the e-mail from PA, but there's nothing in PA's installation manager ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm I got the e-mail from PA, but there's nothing in PA's installation manager ?
its not out yet

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:21 pm
dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm I got the e-mail from PA, but there's nothing in PA's installation manager ?
its not out yet
I know, but the product page says you can download the trial :wink:
More BPM please

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:14 pm is exactly the the advice taught by developer of Siri in Stanford’s entrepreneur start up course.
Yes, it's a smart thing to do and a lot of developers do it. Create a module and then distribute it in your line of software (be it an effect, a preset browser, a UI framework, ...). It enhances every product and gives a sense of stability and structure in your products. And it's a very efficient way to develop.

If the price of the synth is pretty standard (says 100-150 euro) then I would not regard it as if you pay multiple times from the same product but rather that users in general can benefit from previously developed modules.

But yeah, the trick of giving a taste of the synth, and disclosing the price afterwards, is pretty manipulative. It's how drugs dealers do it in movies :wink: (give the first sample for free and when you are hooked you pay the price :clown: )

I am curious if it's a better workflow to just put BYOME after whatever wavetable synth you already know how to use.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Instruments”